National German Shepherd Show/trial 2010

Eric

I went over to TAS in January this year with my standard poodle in the Vito van. I have a greatdane sized wire crate/pen in the back, with a lid on top. I left the doors of the van open just to make sure she was cool enough.

I did hear her screaming for half the trip but thats because she is a needy bitch and was just a puppy and not use to travelling alone. She was fine on the way home.

All you need to do is sign a provided waver so the boat isn't responsible if anything happens to your dog (or car). It is free to transport dogs in your own car/trailer.

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can get that many dogs into Tas in a short period of time, They can come via boat in a trailer or Car.

Or use the on board boarding facilities - i don't recommend that!

Plane would be harder and take longer, due to restriction, restrictions every state has.

When i went over we took 8 dogs in the van, Dogs are free if in a car or float.

Why is it that those getting to Tassie don't bitch, but those getting out do?

I have been led to believe that you can not leave a dog in a car overnight. It must go into the kenneling provided.

See my above post for kenneling fees.

You can have you dog in your car or trailer if suitable. You don't have to use their kennel facilities, I for one don't use them. Of the Tassie regulars that i know use the boat for travel I think I would be hard pressed to find one who does. Oakway why don't you have a chat to people who are regular travellers and see what their experiences have been, you will be quite surprised.

I went over to TAS in January this year with my standard poodle in the Vito van. I have a greatdane sized wire crate/pen in the back, with a lid on top. I left the doors of the van open just to make sure she was cool enough.

I did hear her screaming for half the trip but thats because she is a needy bitch and was just a puppy and not use to travelling alone. She was fine on the way home.

All you need to do is sign a provided waver so the boat isn't responsible if anything happens to your dog (or car). It is free to transport dogs in your own car/trailer.

And I must say Luna looked very comfortable in her 'set up

Yes in a crate in a van and yes in your own trailer but not loose in a car. Also not allowed to be left loose or tied in the back of a ute.

You said it could not be done, now you say it can in a crate.

And who would be silly enough to leave a dog lose in the car, or be stupid to leave it on the back of the ute.

That is just plain stupid.

I did the same, the dogs where fine it was me who was not :thumbsup:

I will go again when the right judge is on the panel.

LOL typical mainlander answer.

If every single National for every single breed was held in Tasmania the tables would be turned and it would be you who would be bitching about it :thumbsup:

Well I live here and I agree with Sway.

Yes we fly dogs in and out and we go by boat to show and to mate bitches. If you want to use the best dogs in the country you have no choice.

I will say it again, it can be done it takes planning and the rule is the rule.

Its quite simple really if you do not like the 1000k rule instead of whinging in here you and Eric could put a motion in writing to the TCA and then drum up a support base to go to the TCA AGM to get it put forward to the ANKC National Meeting.

Its quite simple really if you do not like the 1000k rule instead of whinging in here you and Eric could put a motion in writing to the TCA and then drum up a support base to go to the TCA AGM to get it put forward to the ANKC National Meeting.

:thumbsup:

This should be renamed Tasmania vs Mainland not GSD National :p

IMO the rules should either be, all of the states get no CC's if a National on or within the state only.

I mean some people just cant make it to a national for whatever reason. But I have no qualms in Nation Wide either :love:

Flame suit on :D But thats just my opinion anyway as after all it is only 1 weekend a year that you cant show, but agree a bit painful if its a local show and its on the same weekend.

But to me the whole point is that the club should of had it in the journal. ;)

Have to admit I wouldnt even think twice entering a show on the national dates (if I wasnt going to them that is,) so I would be a bit pi##ed if I got to a show and found that NO CC's were awarded but have to admit I had no idea it was 1000k's . :) Just shows how much I take note ;)

Yes in a crate in a van and yes in your own trailer but not loose in a car. Also not allowed to be left loose or tied in the back of a ute.

You said it could not be done, now you say it can in a crate.

And who would be silly enough to leave a dog lose in the car, or be stupid to leave it on the back of the ute.

That is just plain stupid.

No I did not :D You can not leave a dog in a car over night.

I should have been more explicit and said said loose in a car.

Who would be so stupid, the man in the ute in front of me and to the left.

You can get that many dogs into Tas in a short period of time, They can come via boat in a trailer or Car.

Or use the on board boarding facilities - i don't recommend that!

Plane would be harder and take longer, due to restriction, restrictions every state has.

When i went over we took 8 dogs in the van, Dogs are free if in a car or float.

I have been led to believe that you can not leave a dog in a car overnight. It must go into the kenneling provided.

See my above post for kenneling fees.

You can have you dog in your car or trailer if suitable. You don't have to use their kennel facilities, I for one don't use them. Of the Tassie regulars that i know use the boat for travel I think I would be hard pressed to find one who does. Oakway why don't you have a chat to people who are regular travellers and see what their experiences have been, you will be quite surprised.

:D I have been using the boats or Roll on Roll Off Ferries for 40 years. I can even remember the old Taroona and that used to dock in Launceston.

Posted in the 1000km thread distances as the crow flies for each city on the eastern seaboard and Adelaide

Brisbane Sydney Canberra Melbourne Hobart Adelaide

Brisbane 0 733 945 1373 1788 1600

Sydney 733 0 247.4 712 1056 1161

Canberra 945 247.4 0 465 857 958

Melbourne 1373 712 465 0 597 654

Hobart 1788 1056 857 597 0 1161

Adelaide 1600 1161 958 654 1161

So with the current rule Tassie using Hobart as the measure is ONLY affected by a national in Canberra or Melbourne.

Canberra however is affected by all states.

Melbourne is affected by all but Brisbane.

No Canberrans and Melbournians do not have to cross water, but they are affected by a lot more nationals that Tasmanians. Given that it is one weekend and depending on your breed not necessarily every year, is it really that bad.

Edited by Bilbo_Baggins_Junior

But the Canine Association DIDN"T notify the club......NOT THE CLUB'S FAULT.

Oh Ok , dont bite my head off :D

What I was trying to say was, that's what I thought the original post was actually about or maybe I'm on the wrong track anyway, as per normal :p

I meant it more as a comment, not so much as it's "THAT CLUB'S" fault, sorry I forgot that someone said 20 pages ago, the post has gone so far off topic , ;) that it was the Canine Councils fault, for not notifying the club,

Anyway I'm of to do the poll :love:

But the Canine Association DIDN"T notify the club......NOT THE CLUB'S FAULT.

Oh Ok , dont bite my head off :D

What I was trying to say was, that's what I thought the original post was actually about or maybe I'm on the wrong track anyway, as per normal :p

I meant it more as a comment, not so much as it's "THAT CLUB'S" fault, sorry I forgot that someone said 20 pages ago, the post has gone so far off topic , ;) that it was the Canine Councils fault, for not notifying the club,

Anyway I'm of to do the poll :love:

No we are not off topic this is all about the 1000 km rule and many of us think that in this day and age it should be done away with. It is wrong to stop people from getting a challenge and supporting another club other than the National that may be on that day. What is being said is some people can't go for varying reasons and because challenges are not offered within 1000km radius all the clubs then miss out. Not only that, when you live in Tasmania it can be a pain in the butt and costly to get off the Island.

Gee it is only one weekend out of the year that you cannot get challenge points. Big Deal. I agree with the rules. It all comes down to choice, if you do not like it, do something about it, if you cannot or cannot be bothered to change it, suck it up and grin and bear it. JMO.

Just skimmed through the April - May Gazette.

There are 2 shows in there. Yep once you take out breed shows and all the obedience and agility there are only 2 champ shows.

I'll take every opportunity I can get to show my dog locally thanks, that's the point. If there was a Breed show on the mainland somewhere in those 2 months that would mean we only get 1 show!

I know this sounds like just whinging and moaning but I think we do have a point, even if not everyone sees or agrees with it, it doesn't make it any less valid. And everyone keeps bringing up WA and Darwin... they would fall outside the km radius wouldn't they?

You think you have a small number of shows?? From September to March we have 1 show a month, of any description - be it Specialty or Championship.

Perhaps the clubs could have moved the show to a weekend either side of the National instead of having it on the same weekend, if there as few shows as us, and the Nationals give you plenty of notice of when and where they will be help giving plenty of time for the club to approach TCA to have the date adjusted.

There are so many ways around this rule that don't require people to feel hard done by and like they've missed out.

You could try having to fork out $1000 at the minimum per weekend of showing away from home. Even to travel within our own state it is 1500km drive to the bottom of the NT.

I rarely hear the NT showers complaining about the distance and logistics of showing down south, recently a GSD exhibitor sent her dog down for the Specialty, I didn't hear her complaining about freight costs one way which would have been more than the ferry costs return total.

Gee it is only one weekend out of the year that you cannot get challenge points. Big Deal. I agree with the rules. It all comes down to choice, if you do not like it, do something about it, if you cannot or cannot be bothered to change it, suck it up and grin and bear it. JMO.

Just skimmed through the April - May Gazette.

There are 2 shows in there. Yep once you take out breed shows and all the obedience and agility there are only 2 champ shows.

I'll take every opportunity I can get to show my dog locally thanks, that's the point. If there was a Breed show on the mainland somewhere in those 2 months that would mean we only get 1 show!

I know this sounds like just whinging and moaning but I think we do have a point, even if not everyone sees or agrees with it, it doesn't make it any less valid. And everyone keeps bringing up WA and Darwin... they would fall outside the km radius wouldn't they?

You think you have a small number of shows?? From September to March we have 1 show a month, of any description - be it Specialty or Championship.

Perhaps the clubs could have moved the show to a weekend either side of the National instead of having it on the same weekend, if there as few shows as us, and the Nationals give you plenty of notice of when and where they will be help giving plenty of time for the club to approach TCA to have the date adjusted.

There are so many ways around this rule that don't require people to feel hard done by and like they've missed out.

You could try having to fork out $1000 at the minimum per weekend of showing away from home. Even to travel within our own state it is 1500km drive to the bottom of the NT.

I rarely hear the NT showers complaining about the distance and logistics of showing down south, recently a GSD exhibitor sent her dog down for the Specialty, I didn't hear her complaining about freight costs one way which would have been more than the ferry costs return total.

Hi Megz

People in WA, NT and Tas are at a disadvantage when we wish to travel. We are ever mindful of the distances that some other states have to travel, but at least you are not effected by the 1000 km rule. You are not going to make people go to shows they don't want to for various reasons by not offering points for that particular breed at other shows.

But what stops the club from not holding their show that weekend???

There is nothing stopping them from moving a week either side of their current date.

I know when I was on Council the National shows were requested over a year in advance giving the clubs within that 1000km's the chance to alter their dates as not to disadvantage their exhibitors.