Lismore/nimbin People

Hi all, Just a few questions :cry:

I am currently on my way up to Nimbin/Lismore area & probably staying. I was wondering what the job prospects are like for a willing & competent worker in the region if anyone knows? Preferably in the animal field.

My two dogs are also with me & I was wondering if there are any nasties (insects etc.) that I should be aware of so my dogs are safe? I am currently using sentinel which is also suppose to control fleas but they still have a few of them & I am worried as I don't know if you get paralysis ticks in the area & if so will the sentinel work or are there other brands etc that are better? (I have previously used frontline without success)

Any vet recommendations? Or any other information I should know? Will I like it :o

Thank you :eek:

that area has ticks so you will need to use advantix monthly through the winter and every 2 weeks in summer and check your dogs. job market there is slow, depending on what areas your skilled in.

no idea on work available in animal areas but will check the paper next weekend when I'm down there if you like.

Nothing helpful to add - except I was wondering where you had gotten to!!

Looks like I won't be able to meet you at an adelaide meet!

All the best on your next adventure :eek:

Hehe, yes I need to do this for myself, no idea if anything will work out but I had to give it a go. So anyway I'll see how it goes. & if I'm back in SA sometime when a meets on, i might pop in. Hope everythings going well!! :cry: Thanks!

that area has ticks so you will need to use advantix monthly through the winter and every 2 weeks in summer and check your dogs. job market there is slow, depending on what areas your skilled in.

no idea on work available in animal areas but will check the paper next weekend when I'm down there if you like.

Thankyou, I was wondering about the ticks! Yes thank you that would be great! I think I will be there then but not sure.

Cane toads!!!

Watch out for them.

I used to live in the Byron Shire (near Lismore but costal) and in summer they were in epic proportions.

They are poisonous and can kill dogs.

Agriculturally macadamias are the main thing grown

As well as coffee (the only area in Aus where coffee grows)

Dairy farms are common around there too.

I remember going to a lot of agricultural shows around the area throughout highschool. So I'm sure I'm forgetting a lot.

Be prepared for stinking hot summers

Think Adelaide summers, but humid.

Be flood ready too. Lismore is prove to flooding.

Good luck

Hi, I live in Kyogle which is only about 30minutes from Nimbin and the biggest thing you will need to be aware of is ticks! We do get a lot of paralysis ticks especially during the summer roughly from September through to March/April. I use tick collars, finding them to be the most effective, and check the dogs every day.

Cane toads are around as well, but in Kyogle don't find them a huge problem...yet!

Work prospects in this area are a bit slow, not sure what is available in the animal industry. Beautiful place in the world to be though...I wouldn't live anywhere else.

Definitely your major nasties will be ticks and cane toads... I went to school in Murwillumbah, and my folks still live in Burringbar...

The occasional snake - brown, black, death adders, etc - could be an issue if you will be on acreage...

However, the area is definitely God's own corner of the planet - you'll love it there!

T.

lovemymutts, hope you are travelling has been safe and problem free.

I had a look in saturdays paper and there were a number of jobs, including one for an animal assistant.

I was surprised just how many jobs in the ballina and lismore area, were advertised.

good luck with your job hunting