Siberian Husky Pup... Help

Smash

Hello everyone,

In January I welcomed a Siberian Husky pup into my home. His name is Indy. I'd kind of been obsessing about the breed since I was seven years old (now twenty one) so it was a pretty big deal and I couldn't have been happier... Since that time, he's gone through a few phases of biting and jumping and I'd read on here the ways to get them out of the habit and that for the most part, they grow out of it anyway. The problem is, he hasn't grown out of it. He's nearly 7 months old now and his behaviour is getting worse every day: biting, ploughing through the door as soon as it's opened and knocking everything over in sight, jumping up and stealing things from the kitchen bench, ruining clothes... etc etc.

The biggest thing is probably the biting, since he has drawn blood (not anything dramatic but enough that it really hurts). And because he's getting a lot bigger now, he's very hard to keep under control.

I don't know what to do anymore. :) It feels like any training I go through with him, he forgets the next day. Can anyone give me some advice?

Also, I live in Adelaide and was wondering if there were some recommendations for Obedience classes around my area. And perhaps a recommended dog trainer to come to my house and help me sort out some of these issues? Any help at all will be VERY appreciated!

Thank you so much for reading my post, hope to hear from someone soon.

Ash

Guest DBT

I hope this link works for you. You will find a contact email address for the Siberian Husky /Alaskan Malamute club of SA. I believe they used to run breed specific training somewhere in the metro area....but talk to them and see what they can advise.

http://www.shamclubsa.com.au/shamindex_html.htm

Oh , and maybe some one can add some extra info to this....there is a lady named Vicki that does in home behavioural training in Adelaide, who also owned/owns Sibes. She used to work at the TTG vet...i can't remember her last name at the moment though...anyone??

Edited by DBT

What kind of training have you done to stop this?

And photos of Sibe pups are always required :rofl:

Well, for the barging through the door problem I would get him to sit and open the door, and if he moved I would close the door, try again. And if he stayed he would be rewarded and allowed inside. For the biting I've tried so many things... distracting with other toys and praising him when he chomps on that instead, turning my back and leaving him (resulting only in being bit on the back of the legs), making loud exaggerated noises of pain whenever he bit too hard when he was younger. Bleh.

Well, I am mad at him at the moment, but I *suppose* I can show a picture :)post-33757-1273054123_thumb.jpg This one was taken a while ago, he's a lot bigger and darker now.

And thank you very much DBT and Dwynwen, I'll check those sites out now!

Guest DBT

Ok, i remember now, it is Vicki Burton. I do not have contact details for her but the Tea Tree Gully vet clinic may be able to help you. Sorry i can't give you some direct contact details , but i believe she would be worth chasing up.

GOOD LUCK

Ok, i remember now, it is Vicki Burton. I do not have contact details for her but the Tea Tree Gully vet clinic may be able to help you. Sorry i can't give you some direct contact details , but i believe she would be worth chasing up.

GOOD LUCK

Thanks! I looked up her name on Delta Society and her contact details came up so I may just give her a go. Thank you again.

Guest DBT

GOOD LUCK

Thanks! I looked up her name on Delta Society and her contact details came up so I may just give her a go. Thank you again.

Oh glad you found her!..... let us know how things go .

OOOh fellow Adelaidian Sibe owner and you have the same name as me. :p Very nice

Have you been giving your dog enough exercise? Sounds like he could be bored.

Do you have appropriate toys for him to play with? (not your underwear :)

Does he have an area of his own inside?

Very late notice but there is a K9 Force seminar in Adelaide on Saturday - could contact Steve and see if you can still get a ticket

I have also heard good things about Mark Singer - Justice Shades is one of the Adelaide DOlers who has used him

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

Very late notice but there is a K9 Force seminar in Adelaide on Saturday - could contact Steve and see if you can still get a ticket

Oh great idea KHM, definitely worth trying :thumbsup:

Oh great idea KHM, definitely worth trying :thumbsup:

I third this! Steve was awesome when I was having problems with my sibe.

Good luck with it - they're a handful but so very worth it!

OOOh fellow Adelaidian Sibe owner and you have the same name as me. :rofl: Very nice

Have you been giving your dog enough exercise? Sounds like he could be bored.

Do you have appropriate toys for him to play with? (not your underwear :thumbsup:

Does he have an area of his own inside?

I started out walking him twice a day but as the weather has been getting colder I have to admit I've chosen to roll over in bed and ignore the early alarm. I will definitely start upping the exercise though, you're right. He has way too much energy.

He does have a collection of toys, his favourite being a spongebob he secretly stole from my room and I only discovered later on, no longer yellow but brown and gross ;) Can you recommend some types of toys your husky particularly likes?

As to his own area inside... that has been difficult because he goes SO crazy once he's let in, my family really only tolerates him for fifteen minutes until it's "INDY, OUTSIDE!" This is mostly why I would like to get a trainer to help me find some good ways to get him to calm down inside and know his place.

I have also heard good things about Mark Singer - Justice Shades is one of the Adelaide DOlers who has used him

Gah! I won't be in Adelaide on Saturday, I'm leaving for Booleroo tomorrow morning. Thanks for your suggestion though, it sounds like it would have been great.

Thanks again everyone, for your input. I now have a list of trainers and classes I will investigate next week and hopefully get him back on track. I'll let you know how I go! :laugh:

Ash

Are you able to contact your boys breeder and request for help?

Sounds to me like you have a very normal adolescent siberian husky with NO respect for you, and very little discipline.

I wish you were closer - i'd help you in a heart beat.

I suggest giving Karen Bryant of Asryn Siberians a call (her details can be found in the breeder listings).

She is a very good trainer, and having Siberians, will be able to understand the problems your encountering.

Here is a tip though - bring him inside on lead. Make him remain calm, lay at your feet while you watch tv etc. He needs to learn that it's calm time when inside - not play and zoomie time! By tossing him out after 15 minutes of uncontrolable behaviour is not teaching him anything.

:grouphug:

I should take you toy shopping

Esky's favourites are plastic coke bottles and Kongs stuffed with fish and frozen.

Excercise is critical, as is mental stimulation. Training will help wear him out in a mental sense. A good 10 minute training session can be as tiring as a brisk walk. Challenging toys like Kongs are great too.

I also like the idea of giving your dog a job. My deceased husky Didge had the job of carrying stuff for us on our walks. We got her a 2nd hand doggy back pack for $10 and put a small amount of weight into it. ( I would fill powerade bottles, so I knew how much weight)

I'd never seen her prouder and happier than when she was wearing that.

If he is only 6 months just be careful with too much exercise on growing joints. Sorry but imho getting him to carry weight isn't probably a good idea until he is older. As esky said mental stimulation can be just as tiring for a young dog.

Haha, this is why I've never wanted a Sibe. :eek: They are pretty full on. Chances are it'll get worse before it gets better unless you can keep on top of his exercise requirements. Remember they were bred to run through the snow all day. :p

Charleswentworth was telling me recently about the Sibes she used to have and how she got pulling harnesses for them and would attach empty boxes and the likes to their harnesses so they could pull them around the yard. I thought that was freaking awesome. Light stuff for an unconditioned (young) dog, though.

Is there somewhere secure you can take him for a daily run? Lots of Sibes around here burn off their energy at the river or the beach where they can run around in the water. Tired puppies are happy puppies.

You could also try giving him things like Kongs or pigs ears to chew on when he's indoors so he learns to associate indoors with quiet time. There's not much point if he's still got massive amounts of energy to burn, though. It'll be fighting a losing battle, surely.

That biting is certainly a problem. It's possible it might go away if he gets more exercise, but maybe it won't. Best to talk to a professional.