Dog Attack This Morning

grrrr.

why the hell can owners not keep their dogs restrained?!

I had to witness a dog attack another dog this morning because the owner's stupid front gates were open (not that they were high fences anyway)..

The other dog was not seriously hurt, but did get a puncture wound.

I managed to scare the attacking dog off away from the other dog and the kids who were there (my daughter included) who were all terrified watching this occur.

Am on the phone now reporting it to council.

not happy jan!

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

grrrr.

I had to witness a dog attack another dog this morning because the owner's stupid front gates were open (not that they were high fences anyway)..

I managed to scare the attacking dog off away from the other dog and the kids who were there (my daughter included) who were all terrified watching this occur.

not happy jan!

It is so very frustrating when this sort of thing happens time and time again! People just will never learn! :hug:

I guess it is a false belief system with some people that their beloved dog would not hurt a fly, yea right!

What breed of dog is the attacking dog?

grrrr.

not happy jan!

It is so very frustrating when this sort of thing happens time and time again! People just will never learn! :eek:

I guess it is a false belief system with some people that their beloved dog would not hurt a fly, yea right!

What breed of dog is the attacking dog?

What relevance does this have :banghead:

Glad I am not the only one that thought "Why is that important? Here we go again" :eek::banghead:

speaking of dog breeds, my 2 and 4 year old daughters really missed their favourite Rotties for cuddles and hi-5's yesterday at Kepala Grumpette!!! They had to put up with German Shepherds and Pointers instead.

It is why I specifically did not include the breed of the dog.

The fact was the owners did not have their dog safely secured. The gates were open and the dog charged as soon as the other dog was in sight. The bitch had to run between the kids to attack the other dog.

A report has been made and the rangers will contact me.

It is why I specifically did not include the breed of the dog.

The fact was the owners did not have their dog safely secured. The gates were open and the dog charged as soon as the other dog was in sight. The bitch had to run between the kids to attack the other dog.

Hope the dog is okay and also the kids what a frightening experience for them :eek: Good on you for helping and reporting the incident :banghead:

tianakaesha, thank you for getting involved and doing what the irresponsible owner should be doing, taking care of the community and the dog concerned.

I hope that your daughter is OK as well as the injured dog.

Chewy I would have loved to have been there. CFA ceremonies are so stiffling and stuffy. Would you believe that I have not even looked at my medal :banghead:

I've just been contacted by the ranger and spoken to him directly. he is going to get in contact with the other person and see what action they want to take. I have been asked whether I would stand as a witness if it came to that, and whether I would go to caught and testify if it were needed. whoa.

Maybe speak to the owner about better fencing etc. Try and sort it amongst yourselves?

Not the fault of the dog that it was not properly contained......

Last thing you want is the dog being put down. :banghead:

Edited by DerRottwelier

It is why I specifically did not include the breed of the dog. The fact was the owners did not have their dog safely secured. The gates were open and the dog charged as soon as the other dog was in sight. The bitch had to run between the kids to attack the other dog.

Some prefer the whole story, not half of it???. The breed does matter in terms of fear factor for example, I was walking through an industrial area Saturday afternoon and a Rotty guard dog was going off at the fence of these premises. I am thinking, I hope that dog can't get out somewhere :banghead: If it was an SWF going off at the fence line in an aggressive rage, I couldn't care less, so yes, breed does have an impact on most people.

DerRottwelier - Not like I could get to the front door, the dog was there. And I was yelling at the dog from the street, no one came out of the house. We were there a few minutes.

this was an unprovoked attack on public land. I am sick of hearing about dog attacks and people crying about their poor soft gentle dog that would never hurt a fly.... the other dog didn't even see this dog before it attacked.

While I don't think that having the dog put down is necessarily the right answer, it might not be the wrong answer either... what if it was not the first time it had done this? That is not up to me.

It attacked twice. Went for the first bite, lost its grip and went at it again, the other dog screaming.

While the attack was no way as bad as what happened to the other DOLer's aunt's dogs the other day, and not as bad as some that I have seen walking dogs, this dog charged with no provocation.

DerRottwelier - Not like I could get to the front door, the dog was there. And I was yelling at the dog from the street, no one came out of the house. We were there a few minutes.

this was an unprovoked attack on public land. I am sick of hearing about dog attacks and people crying about their poor soft gentle dog that would never hurt a fly.... the other dog didn't even see this dog before it attacked.

While I don't think that having the dog put down is necessarily the right answer, it might not be the wrong answer either... what if it was not the first time it had done this? That is not up to me.

It attacked twice. Went for the first bite, lost its grip and went at it again, the other dog screaming.

While the attack was no way as bad as what happened to the other DOLer's aunt's dogs the other day, and not as bad as some that I have seen walking dogs, this dog charged with no provocation.

I should have made myself clearer, you did the right thing obviously, in approaching the council and so on. Especially since the owner was nowhere to be found.

And the dog might be dangerous (and no doubt is, being a DA dog).

But now that it has happened, if the owner agrees to very stringent containment of the dog, perhaps neighbours, the council, owner etc can come

to some sort of agreement that is in the best interests of the dog and the local area. That said if you wanted to move for having the dog put down, I can understand why. Sad situation all round.

Edited by DerRottwelier

Some dog owners need to be hit in the hip pocket a few times before they understand the concept of "responsible dog ownership" and no amount of talking to them by neighbours will achieve this.

The breed does matter in terms of fear factor for example

This thread is about irresponsible owners and lack of containment of dogs, not about breed bashing.

It is why I specifically did not include the breed of the dog. The fact was the owners did not have their dog safely secured. The gates were open and the dog charged as soon as the other dog was in sight. The bitch had to run between the kids to attack the other dog.

Some prefer the whole story, not half of it???. The breed does matter in terms of fear factor for example, I was walking through an industrial area Saturday afternoon and a Rotty guard dog was going off at the fence of these premises. I am thinking, I hope that dog can't get out somewhere :eek: If it was an SWF going off at the fence line in an aggressive rage, I couldn't care less, so yes, breed does have an impact on most people.

Some also get sick of breed bashing as well which does tend to happen in these threads :) I really don't get the fear factor statement you made :banghead: Should people be fearful of certain breeds I don't think so they should be fearful of the actual dog who will bite and not the breed, biting does not really relate to breed.

I have an two examples

1. While waiting for a plane to arrive we pulled up alongside the freeway and parked fairly close to the fence where there was a German Shepherd guard dog, he went nuts when we got out of the car so I walked over to the fence to look at him as he was a gorgeous longcoat sable (a passion of mine :o ) he was the sweetest dog and didn't mind being petted in the least.

2. Walking my two dogs through an industrial site a Rottweiler guard dog went off as he saw us approach we just kept walking and then my GSD boy gave a reply back and he scuttled off whining like he was scared, my boy only gave a warning bark.

Obviously the moral to these stories is while some dogs sound scary in fact they aren't don't judge breeds judge dogs on actual facts of what happens :thanks:

Black Bronson - why would it change the story? We did not see the dog until it had attacked? We could not have changed our behaviour? I am just as cautious with SWFs going nutso at a fence as I am a rottie..

You must be pulling our leg :banghead:, do you think an SWF attack and Rotty attack would result in the potential for an equal level of injury???. I understand where you are coming from, a dog is a dog and all that, but in reality, breed, size and power having and equal level of aggression is the difference between a torn pair of pants and a scratch on the ankle to loosing half your arm or worse. I can't really see the police K9 units swapping from GSD's to SWF's as in your perception provide equal fear/deterrent factor...........lets be realistic :eek:

Some dog owners need to be hit in the hip pocket a few times before they understand the concept of "responsible dog ownership" and no amount of talking to them by neighbours will achieve this.
The breed does matter in terms of fear factor for example

This thread is about irresponsible owners and lack of containment of dogs, not about breed bashing.

I was asking about the breed of dog as mere curiosity. I guess, given that some people are in the habit of saying that the media only ever potrays stories that consist of bully breeds, I am trying to find out if it is a case of media sensationalism or perhaps if there is truth that some breeds are more DA than others. Just in quest for the truth, not breed bashing. My hubby and I have owned german shepherds, dobes, staffies, american bullies and have looked after friend's rotties so I have nothing against bully breeds although, as I have said before I would never again own a staffy due to their 'high prey drive.' Every other breed has been an absolute pleasure to have.

Edited by Abigail