Nylabones

I got a couple from http://www.kvvet.com/ but I bought more than just the toys. I can't remember how the prices compared to other sites, but the shipping wasn't cheap.

Out of interest, what size dogs do you have? Jake doesn't like his Nylabones.. I could see how well they clean up if you're interested.

I've just been looking for them because they were recommended on another thread.

(Someone there suggested simmering a Nylabone in stock to make it more appealing to the dog.)

I'm a worrier.

Not sure I like the idea of something being 'flavoured' (by us, or made that way) yet unsafe for our dogs to ingest. Problem with these things is that if pieces are ingested, they aren't going to be consumed by the dog's intestinal enzymes so that they can more easily pass without issue.

Edited by Erny

I have never understood the purpose nor interest of Nyla bones. Why would a dog want to chew a bit of hard nylon/plastic with little to no taste?

I remember buying them for my Goldies and neither were at all interested.

Edited by Golden Rules

Nylabones are safe to ingest- it says on the package. My dogs love their nylabones and i have never had an issue with them. They particularly like the ones with the purple ball in the middle of the 2 nylabone ends.

These ones Cosmolo? They're a Busy Buddy toy not Nylabone but same material.

BB_BCY2009.jpg

My dogs love ingesting their Nylabones too and I've never had an issue, that's why I asked.

Why would a dog want to chew a bit of hard nylon/plastic with little to no taste?

:D Ahhh, you've never had a chewer have you GR? Why would my sweet little darlings chew the corners off my MDF skirting boards and eat a hole out of my plaster board walls - they can't have tasted great either! For some dogs the chewing or the destruction is the reward not the taste.

Edited by molasseslass

I've just been looking for them because they were recommended on another thread.

(Someone there suggested simmering a Nylabone in stock to make it more appealing to the dog.)

I'm a worrier.

Not sure I like the idea of something being 'flavoured' (by us, or made that way) yet unsafe for our dogs to ingest. Problem with these things is that if pieces are ingested, they aren't going to be consumed by the dog's intestinal enzymes so that they can more easily pass without issue.

Erny, I'm a worrier, since last weekend. :D Our 10 yr old dog was rushed to vet emergency last weekend with a bit of rawhide stuck in her gullet.

Vets there said danger spot was the gullet....if rawhide made it to the stomach, then the digestive processes sort it OK.

Someone in another thread mentioned that Nylabone was recommended, in place of things like rawhide, in the breed handbook.

I don't know anything about Nylabone.

That's why I was looking for info. Like any tendency to break into gullet-sticking lumps & how digestible.

Just saw your assurance on digestabiity, Cosmolo. Thanks. ;)

Edited by mita

Nylabones are unsafe to ingest?!

My understanding of them was that the dog will ingest little bits and pieces of the Nylahbone as it chews away on them and that apparently is supposed to be ok for them - that's what they say, I think.

But if the dog bites bigger pieces off them, I've heard of problems occurring. Probably no different than a dog chewing and swallowing large' ish pieces of a ball, for instance. All fourth hand stories, so can't quote you from reliable sources.

But if they are flavoured up, then to me it could encourage more than just chewing .... with some dogs.

You must get the correct size for your dog and strength to prevent any large pieces from being chewed off. If you get the right size then all they get are tiny little bits which travel straight through. It's not digestable material at all I would have thought.

This one was too small, they shouldn't be able to break large pieces off. But you can see the feathered end, thats what all my dogs ones look like. And it's only the little feathering pieces that come off.

nylabone.jpg

Here is one ready to be thrown away.

Both those two are the durable not felxible type, the flexible is made of a clear rubber (and is far softer) whereas durable is the hard chewable plastic.

Edited by molasseslass

Nylabones are unsafe to ingest?!

My understanding of them was that the dog will ingest little bits and pieces of the Nylahbone as it chews away on them and that apparently is supposed to be ok for them - that's what they say, I think.

But if the dog bites bigger pieces off them, I've heard of problems occurring. Probably no different than a dog chewing and swallowing large' ish pieces of a ball, for instance. All fourth hand stories, so can't quote you from reliable sources.

But if they are flavoured up, then to me it could encourage more than just chewing .... with some dogs.

Not really a problem with ingesting Nylabone then, I'd say you're talking about an owner supervision problem. ;)

ETA: While looking for pictures I found a guitar forum where it is recommended to cut down nylabones to best model 50s guitar nut thingys. :D

Edited by molasseslass

I've got a few nylabones in stock.

Riley loves them - especially the large Gallileo (we're out of stock cos Riley went through them all :D )

On the packaging it says its safe for dogs to ingest rice size pieces that break off.

Riley naws his down, but most bits end up on my rug! They're only small shavings.

Edited by wagsalot

I found this from a CBS source. Both Greenies & Nylabone can break off in lumps that get stuck in the gullet BEFORE the digestive juices can go to work in the stomach. Greenies get a bad rap re digestability.

The emergency vets quoted said the same as the Brisbane emergency vets (& our own vet, too).

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2006/09/08/...in1987520.shtml

But our own vet pointed out that dogs gulp all sorts of things down...rocks, sticks, seed pods. Our dog was lucky, because when she was put under an anaesthetic, the total relaxation allowed the lump of rawhide to move into her stomach.

Our guys love their Nylabones but we only use the hard ones. Never had a problem with them. We do go through a lot so try to get them whenever we are at a store that has them, we usually buy the petites out!!!