To Coat Or Not To Coat?

KZs Mum

I have 2 pugs......that are starting to feel the cold.....but snuggle up together under flannelette sheets and blankets each night. They don't normally move until I wake them up in the morning, so after they're 'tucked in' at night: that's it.

I am wondering if putting their coats on them is actually impeding on their ability to keep each other warm? And am totally confused whether or not to leave their coats on to sleep or not - any thoughts? It will get down to about 2-3 degrees here in the middle of winter (which more blankets then get added).

Im not sure if that would change anything. I see what your saying though, the body heat probably keeps them pretty warm. When we still had our darling little toy poodle we used to put a t-shirt on her and put her to bed with a hot water bottle (with a cover on it) and cover her with a baby blanket. Then put a thicker sweater on her in the am till it warmed up.

:laugh::laugh::)

our family thought we were nuts

it is getting colder

i dont know but i hate the cold

we have three dogs we coat here...and they have coats on tonight...just the polar fleece ones

over the weekend one of them wouldnt settle

i put an extra blanket on him and he slept right through til 8am then...could be coincidence i dont know

maybe im coddling our dogs but i just hate the idea of them struggling to keep warm...maybe i need to read more about this...maybe im doing them harm

perhaps someone will enlighten here

i dont want my dogs to be toughened up..i want them to be comfortable...bellies full...warm and safe after a good long walk

that gives me enormous satisfaction

My boxers have coats on at night when its cooler. They are the polar fleece ones and I don't think that they stop heat transfer between the dogs. They sleep inside on big pillow beds in the family room. I am with you percyk, I want my furkids warm and comfy at night.

I'm probably a bit of a fuss pot over my first dog :) ... But we've gone for a "skivvy" for sleeping in ... I've been told it's probably to uncomfy for a dog to sleep in a coat ...