How Would A Cavalier And German Shepherd Go Together?

My partner and I are looking into getting a German Shepherd pup within the next 6 - 8 months.

German Shepherds have always been a breed he has wanted to own and loves everything about them.

German shepherds have never been on my list of dogs to own so naturally trying to pull him in other directions. he is a cat person and when he was little had a Golden Retriever.

My only concern is we currently have an almost 2 year old Cavalier male who like all Cavs are just sweethearts. I have fostered dogs in the past and I noticed whenever another dog was with us he would fall back and would really be left out if we didn't make a point of giving him attention.

To put it into perspective, there was a slug in his food bowl the other week and he wouldn't eat until I moved the slug :( . Bless his little fluffly legs.

Do you think a German Shepherd would be too much for a Cav or do you think they could after the adjustment period live in harmony?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My partner and I are looking into getting a German Shepherd pup within the next 6 - 8 months.

German Shepherds have always been a breed he has wanted to own and loves everything about them.

German shepherds have never been on my list of dogs to own so naturally trying to pull him in other directions. he is a cat person and when he was little had a Golden Retriever.

My only concern is we currently have an almost 2 year old Cavalier male who like all Cavs are just sweethearts. I have fostered dogs in the past and I noticed whenever another dog was with us he would fall back and would really be left out if we didn't make a point of giving him attention.

To put it into perspective, there was a slug in his food bowl the other week and he wouldn't eat until I moved the slug :( . Bless his little fluffly legs.

Do you think a German Shepherd would be too much for a Cav or do you think they could after the adjustment period live in harmony?

I have cavs and a white shepherd. All get on fine.

Your boy does sound precious bless his little cotton socks. :rofl::laugh::cry: :p

EF Typos. :o

Edited by Bilbo Baggins

A lot depends on the individual temperaments of the dogs and how you manage the integration.

A young GSD could make a more passive small dog's life a living hell, not to mention inadvertently hurting it. I"d be figuring out separate areas for when they couldn't be supervised.

Personally I think it's easier to add the small dog into a household with a mature larger dog.

I have cavs and a white shepherd. All get on fine.

Your boy does sound precious bless his little cotton socks. :laugh::cry: :p :o

EF Typos. :love:

Fantastic to hear that your guys all get along well. You don't find your shepherds as pups to be too much for the Cavs?

haha He is just a little bit precious! I thought his not wanting to get his little fluffy feet wet was a crack up, but when the slug took up residence in his bowl I couldn't believe how much of a girl her was. haha :rofl:

A lot depends on the individual temperaments of the dogs and how you manage the integration.

A young GSD could make a more passive small dog's life a living hell, not to mention inadvertently hurting it. I"d be figuring out separate areas for when they couldn't be supervised.

Personally I think it's easier to add the small dog into a household with a mature larger dog.

Poodlefan when picking our pup naturally all are going to be pups and bouncy but apart from seperating them what other thing can we do to teach the pup to be gentle with Oscar?

I have already said to the partner that at dinner time they will be seperated but hadn't considered keeping them seperate whilst out, we'll definitely divide the yard.

I can see how it would be easier to add a smaller dog into a house hold with a mature larger dog but unfortunately that's not how it has worked out.

:D

I dont think you would have a problem introducing a GSD to any dog if done the right way.

GSD have a major misconception about them. They are not big boof heads who are incontrollable. I have a GSD that is 14 months and she is so much more gentle then my mums 5year old Jrt x Shitsu..

Until you actually own a GSD it is really hard to know what they are like. I was the exact same before I got my girl. I was a little affraid and worried what i got my self into. The GSD was my OH fave dog so I didnt have a choice. Now I LOVE the breed and am so drawn to them I am in the process of looking for our next pup so I can start showing them.

They have an amazing temprement and are so lovey and sooky. But they also need alot of stimulation and a VERY intellegent.

I think the dogs temps should have major rolls in the selection of getting the pup. If your breeder is a good one then they will be able to match you with the right pup. All puppys can be a handful but if controlled the right way there is no reason why they cant all get along peacefully and safely

Gily

I dont think you would have a problem introducing a GSD to any dog if done the right way.

GSD have a major misconception about them. They are not big boof heads who are incontrollable. I have a GSD that is 14 months and she is so much more gentle then my mums 5year old Jrt x Shitsu..

Until you actually own a GSD it is really hard to know what they are like. I was the exact same before I got my girl. I was a little affraid and worried what i got my self into. The GSD was my OH fave dog so I didnt have a choice. Now I LOVE the breed and am so drawn to them I am in the process of looking for our next pup so I can start showing them.

They have an amazing temprement and are so lovey and sooky. But they also need alot of stimulation and a VERY intellegent.

I think the dogs temps should have major rolls in the selection of getting the pup. If your breeder is a good one then they will be able to match you with the right pup. All puppys can be a handful but if controlled the right way there is no reason why they cant all get along peacefully and safely

Gily

Ok sounds like I am in the same position as you were prior to getting your girl!

Wow you really have fallen in love with them though.

I love knowing these dogs are highly intelligent and easy to train, for me that is a major tick and as this is really the first dog my partner will have owned I have said for him to definitely go to puppy preschool so he can learn the ropes with the pup. He is really excited, me being the concerned partner is putting a downer on it and I really don't want to do that cause I can see how much he wants this breed and he is only looking at others to please me.

His parents are also trying to convince us that it's a bad idea and we are going to have a horrible time with it so really they need to butt out.

Gily, can you suggest any good breeders?

I have been emailing two breeders but one is for a working line as Marcus runs 40km's at least a week I thought maybe the working line would be better for this. Could I be wrong?

I just want to know that if we get the pup we are doing our best to ensure our little monster we already have isn't going to be thrown out too much.

To put it into perspective, there was a slug in his food bowl the other week and he wouldn't eat until I moved the slug :(

Awww. :rofl: Kivi has more than once turned up in the house with a slug in his coat. I do not know what he does to get them in there, but they are REALLY hard to get back out again! We joke that he invites them. Bet he has the house mouse living in his coat as well.

I think maybe the bigger concern than size differences is how your Cav would cope with another dog? If you say he hangs back when there are other dogs around, maybe you would have to be really careful to get a super laid back second dog for his sake?

I agree with Poodlefan totally. Never mind about these soft placid GSD's you hear about..........they are not good examples of the breed and lack the traits of a true GSD. If you purchase a GSD bred to type, they are high in prey drive, they chase, bite as puppies and play hard and a little dog unable to cope with the GSD physical size can cop a hiding, not from aggression, but just pure rough play. The more the little dog runs away generally in fear of the GSD's size, the harder the GSD will chase and capture.

It is managable and is not impossible to create harmony, but hard work with constant supervision of their interactions. I have the opposite at present with high drive 3 year old GSD and a 12 week old GSD puppy and the 3 year old is a trained dog, but you have to watch them with such a massive size difference as the small dog/puppy can be easily hurt or frightened :(

To put it into perspective, there was a slug in his food bowl the other week and he wouldn't eat until I moved the slug :(

Awww. :laugh: Kivi has more than once turned up in the house with a slug in his coat. I do not know what he does to get them in there, but they are REALLY hard to get back out again! We joke that he invites them. Bet he has the house mouse living in his coat as well.

I think maybe the bigger concern than size differences is how your Cav would cope with another dog? If you say he hangs back when there are other dogs around, maybe you would have to be really careful to get a super laid back second dog for his sake?

:rofl: that is gorgeous! Aren't they entertaining.

He loves playing with other dogs when we go for walks and when we've had other dogs over but yes this is why I am concerned as I know how highly strung German Shepherds can be and Oscar is the total opposite. Thankfully Marcus understands that if it's going to have a negative impact on Oscar we wont be getting a second dog. He was there first and I don't want him to change.

I agree with Poodlefan totally. Never mind about these soft placid GSD's you hear about..........they are not good examples of the breed and lack the traits of a true GSD. If you purchase a GSD bred to type, they are high in prey drive, they chase, bite as puppies and play hard and a little dog unable to cope with the GSD physical size can cop a hiding, not from aggression, but just pure rough play. The more the little dog runs away generally in fear of the GSD's size, the harder the GSD will chase and capture.

It is managable and is not impossible to create harmony, but hard work with constant supervision of their interactions. I have the opposite at present with high drive 3 year old GSD and a 12 week old GSD puppy and the 3 year old is a trained dog, but you have to watch them with such a massive size difference as the small dog/puppy can be easily hurt or frightened :cry:

Well this is it, Oscar certainly isn't going to be getting any bigger and with a bouncy little pup around I don't want him to get knocked over and scared cause he does exactly that, run away.

He and a little foster pup I had not long ago got along like a house on fire so I know it's possible but it wasn't a working breed.

Our next desired breed was the Ridgy. I understand as a puppy we'll have a bouncy little monster around but do you feel as an adult it will be as highly strung as a shepherd?

I have a very undersized Whippet bitch and a 16 month old GSD bitch (a white one).

The Whippet is very rough with the GSD and knocked her flat chasing the ball. Depends on how much work you want to put in to make the situation workable.

Obedience and discipline from day 1 and you will be fine.

I have a very undersized Whippet bitch and a 16 month old GSD bitch (a white one).

The Whippet is very rough with the GSD and knocked her flat chasing the ball. Depends on how much work you want to put in to make the situation workable.

Obedience and discipline from day 1 and you will be fine.

Thank you Chewbacca.

I think we'll keep talking about the shepherd as I got the dog I always wanted it's only fair he gets the same.

Definitely be booked into puppy preschool and obedience which I'm sure will be a lovely day out for us all anyways. :mad

If you are able to recommend any good breeders this would be greatly appreciated.

It is managable and is not impossible to create harmony, but hard work with constant supervision of their interactions. I have the opposite at present with high drive 3 year old GSD and a 12 week old GSD puppy and the 3 year old is a trained dog, but you have to watch them with such a massive size difference as the small dog/puppy can be easily hurt or frightened :)

Geez I would not like to meet your GSD. :mad:hug::hug:

Sunnyflower a well bred GSD should not be highly strung.

When I got my shep I had a litter of 2 cav pups 4 weeks younger than the shep. They got extremely well. One pup went to Qld to live with huskies, no problems.

Other pup returned everyweekend to show. They both grew at their expected rates and are still the best of mates.

It is not uncommon to see all the cavs curled up with the shep in her crate.

Earlier this year we had a griffon pup who shared the sheps crate.

There is no reason once the GSD is older that it can not run with your partner.

Sunnyflower a well bred GSD should not be highly strung.

When I got my shep I had a litter of 2 cav pups 4 weeks younger than the shep. They got extremely well. One pup went to Qld to live with huskies, no problems.

Other pup returned everyweekend to show. They both grew at their expected rates and are still the best of mates.

It is not uncommon to see all the cavs curled up with the shep in her crate.

Earlier this year we had a griffon pup who shared the sheps crate.

There is no reason once the GSD is older that it can not run with your partner.

Thank you BB, That has given me a lot more confidence.

We'll just make sure to keep a good eye on them when we get the little munchkin and when things get too much seperate them and keep them seperate when not home.

Glad I came on here to get some help otherwise I would have just said no way.

Now to find the right breeder. :hug:

(I'd still really like another cav like I was planning :mad )

It is managable and is not impossible to create harmony, but hard work with constant supervision of their interactions. I have the opposite at present with high drive 3 year old GSD and a 12 week old GSD puppy and the 3 year old is a trained dog, but you have to watch them with such a massive size difference as the small dog/puppy can be easily hurt or frightened :)

Geez I would not like to meet your GSD. :hug::) ;)

I agree BB :mad

Black Bronson ;) we dont need that debate AGAIN

Sunny Flower my GSd Jazzy is 12 month old and plays with the Cavvie next door and he also played with both of my girls together, when Bryds was here, and she was only 18 months so still a pup as well.

If he is out the front with his mum or dad he is straight over to play, he loves them. Of course pups are pups and can get rough but they adjust to size of their mates.

Bryd's best mate was my sisters Whippet who gave her what for if she got too rough :hug:

I could let any dog or pup play with my girl, and thats exactly how it should be IMO, because thats a good temperament.

Let's just say that when I got my GSD pup with an existing Kelpie X, it was not the Kelpie that ended up getting hurt :mad

Seriously though, my GSD broke his leg when playing with my Kelpie X, just doing the zoomies and not coordinated yet at 6 months, had a collision and landed badly. Larger breeds are sometimes fragile.

I would separate and supervise play when together. I agree with Poodlefan that I think adding a smaller breed puppy to an older bigger dog would be easier though. I am confident that I could easily introduce a smaller breed puppy with my older GSD. While he will play rough with big dogs he adapts his play style for smaller dogs and is more gentle with them.

I would recommend a mature shepherd - Save-a-shepherd has many looking for homes, and they are so beautiful. You can see what you are getting, character wise, and they can advise on whether a particular dog is good with smaller dogs.

I had a GSD (many years ago) who found a baby bird on the front lawn and woofed for me to come see. He was protecting it!! HOWZAT??? However, he was not good with other dogs! they can be complicated, as they are such an intelligent breed. choose carefully and good luck....