Proposed New Victorian Dog Laws Dead Wrong

Erny

I have been told by a reliable source that Dogs Vic. are assisting the government to come up with a scale to identify dogs as PIT BULL TYPE. :shrug:

VCA registered AST's will be supplied with a card with microchip & Dogs Vic. registration details and councils will be advised that they are exempt.

Guess this will be done for SBT's as well.

Amazing what some will do to protect their own interests.

What are pedigree papers for????

• Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What? If so, this is discrimination against other dogs (& their owners). How on earth did such a discriminatory proposal get written into a proposed law ... Membership in any kind of association....& attendance in a show ring at least once a year...have no direct bearing on a dog's behaviour.

I don't know, and it is a question I have raised in the most recent letter to Government that I'm in the throws of compiling at the moment.

Farces aside....I wonder if VicDogs realise the law will apply to the dogs they sell to people, as pets (who will then find themselves cut off from VicDogs' mantle of safety under the law). Do they have any concern about this?

It strikes me as not, Mita :mad:shrug:

Also, get this :

The proposed Bill is purported to be about being a responsible dog-owner. VicDogs purport similar.

So, Jane/John Doe have a VicDogs registered pure bred dog and also own a mixed breed and/or ANKC unrecognised dog.

Jane/John Doe show their pure bred dog, but obviously don't show the mixed breed/ANKC unrecognised dog. Both dogs are Council registered and microchipped.

Jane/John Doe are in a public place with their dogs each on lead. But the dogs aren't wearing their plastic council tag. (Could be for whatever reason - won't make a big deal about that because it simply shouldn't matter.)

Council Officer approaches Jane/John Doe and successfully scans the dog for a chip.

Council Officer asks Jane/John Doe to give ID info, which Council subsequently punches into one of their hand-held mobile thingies. Result confirms both dogs are registered.

Council Officer points out the law and says to Jane/John Doe that they have to pay a penalty for the mixed breed/ANKC unrecognised dog not wearing its plastic tag, even though ID has been able to be confirmed (could even be that Jane/John Doe have the Council tag in their pocket - wouldn't matter).

But the other pure-bred VicDog member dog isn't subject to a fine, because he strutted around the show ring sometime in the past 12 months.

My questions? What the heck has anything of this got to do with or lead to promoting responsible dog-ownership?

What the heck benefit does any of this provide the community (ie if the mixed breed dog WAS wearing its plastic tag) ?

I simply do not get it and it alarms me to think that something so punitive and unbeneficial can make its way into even being proposed as law.

The ONLY way I see this one is that it is a lawful means for the Government/Council to extract more money out of people and dogs that aren't doing anything wrong and who are quite potentially doing everything right.

Astounding.

BUT if you are a VicDogs member AND you have "exhibited your dog for show" in the previous 12 months, and you are in an off-leash area, then you are exempt from this law and immune to the fine.

Is THIS why VicDogs are "happy with the proposed laws as written"?

What? If so, this is discrimination against other dogs (& their owners). How on earth did such a discriminatory proposal get written into a proposed law that's supposed to deal with 'dangerous' dogs? Which is supposed to be about dogs' behaviour....& especially how certain owners allow their dogs to become 'dangerous'. Membership in any kind of association....& attendance in a show ring at least once a year...have no direct bearing on a dog's behaviour.

General dog owners of Victoria should be very annoyed about this. It borders on the farcical. Maybe general dog owners should see if they could get membership for their dogs in the Melbourne Club....& make sure they turn up to the bar for an annual drink (accompanied by their dog). Then, petition the government to get members of the Melbourne Club exempted from these proposed laws. If the Melbourne Club won't cooperate....try the St Vincent de Paul Society. And, if not them, keep trying to find an organisation which will. Doesn't have to have any direct relationship to dogs' behaviour.

Farces aside....I wonder if VicDogs realise the law will apply to the dogs they sell to people, as pets (who will then find themselves cut off from VicDogs' mantle of safety under the law). Do they have any concern about this?

Mita Ive been beating my drum over this sort of thing now for a long time.

In victoria if you are a member of Vic dogs you are able to be exempt form compulsory desexing in shires where thats in and there a whole bunch of other stuff that is disgracefully obviously simply drumming up business for Vic dogs. I hope they pay the government a commission!

There's a lot of piddling in pockets going on me thinks.

The only way to try to fight back is to have the numbers because voters is the only currency they count and so different people get to use the piddle pot.

Join here

Yes people. Please do. It doesn't cost much to join and many voices build the strength of one.

Edited by Erny

I have been told by a reliable source that Dogs Vic. are assisting the government to come up with a scale to identify dogs as PIT BULL TYPE. :shrug:

VCA registered AST's will be supplied with a card with microchip & Dogs Vic. registration details and councils will be advised that they are exempt.

Guess this will be done for SBT's as well.

Amazing what some will do to protect their own interests.

What are pedigree papers for????

Maybe with 2 chips in the dog, that is to ensure that if they miss reading the first one, they can pick up the second one. Or maybe it is a super chip that magically transforms the dogs owner into a responsible owner.

Seriously though,

Loads of piddling going on here by the sound of things. Is this official, do we know this card and chip deal is a definite? Is it written in the proposed Law? If it is written in there, can someone please show me where, or point me in the right direction?

The only way to try to fight back is to have the numbers because voters is the only currency they count and so different people get to use the piddle pot.

Join here

Steve

Are you saying that people with a x breed or one of those nasty Restricted Breed dogs :laugh: can also join MDBA?

I thought you were just another purebreed organisation.

Not that my dogs aren't purebreeds, they're just not recognised by the ANKC.

Is this official, do we know this card and chip deal is a definite? Is it written in the proposed Law? If it is written in there, can someone please show me where, or point me in the right direction?

Perhaps we can ask VicDogs for confirmation?

[/quote

Maybe with 2 chips in the dog, that is to ensure that if they miss reading the first one, they can pick up the second one. Or maybe it is a super chip that magically transforms the dogs owner into a responsible owner.

Seriously though,

Loads of piddling going on here by the sound of things. Is this official, do we know this card and chip deal is a definite? Is it written in the proposed Law? If it is written in there, can someone please show me where, or point me in the right direction?

I'm fairly certain they are referring to an actual card like say a blue card that will have printed on it the information of the microchip no. and Dogs Vic. registration no.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough before :laugh: Seemed clear to me!

OK, I see perhaps I should have said "AST owners will be supplied with a card", is that better ?

I'm fairly certain they are referring to an actual card like say a blue card that will have printed on it the information of the microchip no. and Dogs Vic. registration no.

Maybe I didn't explain it well enough before biggrin.gif Seemed clear to me!

OK, I see perhaps I should have said "AST owners will be supplied with a card", is that better ?

Ok, thank you. :laugh:

Still, wouldn't do much good if the dog escapes the property, and the owner has the card. The dog and card would be separated.

Join here

Steve

Are you saying that people with a x breed or one of those nasty Restricted Breed dogs :laugh: can also join MDBA?

I thought you were just another purebreed organisation.

Not that my dogs aren't purebreeds, they're just not recognised by the ANKC.

Good heavens I hope you're not serious!

In the beginning all of the original board of the MDBA were members of the EDBA in fact they were office bearers of the EDBA and founding members and part of the reason we set up was to join everyone together to have a united voice. Power in numbers and demonstrate that our members could be trusted to do the right thing by the community and the dogs they owned.

Our breeder members are purebred breeders but that includes breeders of breeds which are not recognised by the ANKC.

Our pet owner members own all manner of breeds and cross breeds and our rescue members rescue both purebred and mixed breed dogs.

We wanted to gather responsible dog owners,breeders, rescue and canine professionals under one umbrella with opt in codes of conduct to be able to ask for exemptions and similar with government because our members have somethings that no other org has - unity where we have dogs in common regardless of breed or part thereof and a voluntary membership.it means when we go in we represent all dog owners and not just those who belong to one group.

So in answer to your question we welcome all dog owners who can agree to our codes of conduct.

Up until now we have been in and fighting and sometimes we even smell victory in our nostrils but we have been capped at the post by the piddling boys because they have CC support and do deals all over the place because of the numbers.

So please x breed and restricted breed owners by all means apply and come join us. Its only $22 .

I've started a new thread for the above more recent posts, Steve. I trust that's ok with everyone? Not because I don't welcome this information here - I do. But because I think it is relevant for not just Victorians and the plight we have running at the moment, but for everyone, wherever they are. And for their dogs, whatever they might be.

I've started a new thread for the above more recent posts, Steve. I trust that's ok with everyone? Not because I don't welcome this information here - I do. But because I think it is relevant for not just Victorians and the plight we have running at the moment, but for everyone, wherever they are. And for their dogs, whatever they might be.

Yep thats good by me.

An exemption is to apply to a dog that is in a designated off-leash area, whose owner is a member of an applicable association, whose owner has, in the previous 12 months exhibited the dog for show purposes at a fixture conducted by an applicable association and where the person in apparent control of the dog has with him or her the council identification marker."

So, this means that if your dog is out with you and isn't wearing its plastic council tag on its body (even if you have it in your pocket) then you can be fined. I think from memory the amount is about $240.00 - I need to back track to that bit of detail.

BUT if you are a VicDogs member AND you have "exhibited your dog for show" in the previous 12 months, and you are in an off-leash area, then you are exempt from this law and immune to the fine.

I am wondering if this section also includes VCA/DOGS VIC/ANKC sanctioned events like obedience, agility, flyball, tracking, herding etc not just conformation showing and does "membership of an applicable association" mean VCA membership AND/OR membership of an obedience club, agility club, tracking club etc. This way "associate dogs" ie neutered and cross breed dogs would be covered.

This part needs to be expanded upon to ensure clarity of the law. If this is not the case then only one of my dogs is exempt as the other two are not shown yet are VCA registered, but they compete in obedience and herding, with tracking to follow later.

My interpretation of the above (bolded) is that if you have the council tag in your pocket then you are exempt from the fine.

Edited by grumpette

Perhaps we can ask VicDogs for confirmation?

Good idea Erny, :laugh: Perhaps it might pay for an AST owner to enquire.

I'd be asking the president so you get it straight from the horses mouth.

And in writing, so that accuracy of communication isn't lost a long the way.

Anyone able to do this?

My interpretation of the above (bolded) is that if you have the council tag in your pocket then you are exempt from the fine.

Only if you, your dog and your location at the time fit the other of the criteria.

It remains discriminatory though. It means that people and their dogs who belong to a dog fraternity (ie VicDogs) and who exhibit their dog/s by having shown it at least once in the preceding 12 months get special privileges in the eyes of the law. When someone else (or even the same person) with a different dog even though in the same location doing the same thing/s, is not entitled to those privileges.

Law that discriminates, to my knowledge, is illegal.

This aside from the fact that the proposed law on council tags being worn by dogs even though those dogs are with their owners, is completely dumb and proves no beneficial service the the community or anyone else, other than it is a lawful way for authorities to pinch you for money.

This proposed law, IMO, shouldn't even be being entertained. At all. To do so somehow honours it with some worth. And the point is, there is no worth in it, as far as I can fathom.

Edited by Erny

OMG trying to get my head around this...

are we able to get this blocked on the grounds of equal opportunity????

On what I have read basically it is saying unless you are a member of DogsVIC your screwed...

I am not a member of DogsVIC and do not want to be, I have my dog as a pet only... I do not want to compete or show my dog...

She is a recue so who knows her breedline...

But why a council tag in the first place?Why set it up so they have to give out exemptions in the first place?

Surely they are not serious in suggesting that if you show your dog you are a better more responsible owner?

Something stinks.