Is Tin Dog Food Good Or Bad?

goldee

Mine don't get tins as part of their diet, but I do have them for when I run out of their fresh mix. I only ever get Nature's Gift. I must say that when I go to open a tin the hairies go berko - they absolutely love it. I get so much more dancing & clacking of teeth when I crack open a tin as oposed to spooning out chicken rice & veg. I reckon it's like a Macca's fix - you know it's bad but it tastes so good.

If I was going to feed kibble & tins only, I would not choose anything else other than Nature's Gift. they seem to be more aware of doggie food needs, and use much less preservatives.

Mine get dry food for breakfast and wet for dinner (4legs balls and Advance dry)

I used to feed tinned food only but had a lot of trouble getting weight on my boy... now I've switched he is a little on the 'chunky' side and needs to go on a diet even though he is given less food... shows how little nutritional value a lot of canned food has.

I have to admit that years ago, I fed my dog tinned food only (well with those puppy rolls too) and she was perfectly fine, but it gets costly!

She absolutely hated Nature's Gift though which was weird because it looked and smelled exactly like people food.

I wouldn't feed a dog strictly tin anymore. Mix it up a little with bones and raw, maybe once in awhile for a treat or what not.

I used to feed my old shih tzu canned food everyday, his teeth eventually all fell out and that was all he could eat.

He either got my dog or natures gift. He did fine off it and lived off only that for 18 months until i had to give him his wings after going blind.

My two now only get canned food as a treat occasionally and if they do its natures gift.

Only ever feed my GSD with dry food (Royal Canin) topped with a little extra of either cooked roo meat, cooked mince or tinned sardines/tuna. She is now 10mths and has never had a bath - all our friends comment on her lack of dog smell and beautiful coat and I believe it is directly contributed to what we feed our dogs.

My 1st GSD was fed tinned food, raw meat and dog roll and he would get extremely smelly which required regular bathing.

Next 3 GSD's were fed good quality dry food and in their lifetimes were only fully bathed with shampoo a handful of times.

I am happy to use Nature's Gift tinned food

I'm also happy to use Natures gift tinned food.

Like JulesP, mine get a can to share (3 dogs to share a can with). Normally they get one once a week, sometimes they miss out. :rofl: No big lose.

They get Advance dry and raw meats too.

My oldie gets those little foil packs of Natures Gift mixed with her kibble. She's 16 and she's earned her right to eat whatever she likes.

She doesn't have raw (aside from some mince mix and a few meaty morsels from the big ones chicken frames) as she doesn't have too many teeth for crunching bones.

I dont feed any of my dogs canned food on a regular basis. My old girl (who turned 9 this year) gets a little tub of my dog on her birthday for her dinner, I forgot to get it for her this year so when we visited my mum she cooked her a steak :D

My aussies (15 months and 8 months) have never had tinned dog food, I dont plan on ever giving it to them either.

Gayle, if Roxie makes it to 16 she can eat whatever the hell she feels like as well. Steaks, chicken fillets, canned crap, i dont mind!

Guest belgian.blue
I am happy to use Nature's Gift tinned food

I'm also happy to use Natures gift tinned food.

Like JulesP, mine get a can to share (3 dogs to share a can with). Normally they get one once a week.

Natures Gift user here too but not everyday. Makes Badg more interested in his dry food and as per his breeders diet guide. I'd never feed them any other tinned food.

It smells like human food and my two like it.

They also get a lot of RMB.

thanks for the replies! much appreciated. I might keep a few tins but wont be feeding her that all the time. Mix it up with mince and certain vegetables. She loves the chicken necks - even tho they look disgusting! She also loves carrots!

Do you know if Natures Gift has a puppy version of the tin food? I asked my vet and they said it was ok but as long it was a puppy type (the pup is just over 8 weeks)

We tried My Dog but cant find any.

Edited by goldee

I use Pedigree puppy cans with dry for pups.

I just got a pup from an other breeder and it came with Advance puppy, looked and smelt the same as pedigree................funny about that both made by Mars. :thumbsup::laugh:

I fed my GSD on Royal Canin GSD food until she pulled the pin, now will not look at it.

Fed the others a mix of Coles roll thin slice, canned pedigree and dry.

ETA. 15 yo was complimented by the judge at last years champ show when she won best neuter that she was a very good example of the breed.

The international judge said that she was a better than a lot of younger cavs. Only ever fed pedigree canned and dry until recently when she has had some Cav Royal Canin.

Edited by Bilbo Baggins