Wet Shaving

I just wonder whether any of you have had experience with clipping a wet dog? I am not a professional groomer by any means but I do clip the odd dog here and there and they are incredibly matted, I am sure those dogs never see a brush or comb. I find that my blades get blunt when clipping a single dog and shampooing them is to no avail as their coat is literally pelt! What is the best way to clip a heavily matted dog without dulling the blades after only one use. I am at my wits end.

By the way, these are people that I stumble across in the local park and I offer to clip their dogs because it pains me to see them in such conditions and I charge a very minimal amount.

I would be worried about insurance to start, but aside from that get yourself some skip tooth blades. Clip the dog off before the bath then use a finishing blade (F) to go over the dog once dried.

Well for starters you sill charging cheaply.

Yes your helping the dog but your not making it easier or realistic for them,dont get used .

We never clip wet & our blades never go blunt after although the power of our clippers makes life easier.

We occasional use the skip tooth but arent a afan of them.

What blades are you using??

What clippers??

240V Clipper in one hand, and wet dog?

No thanks.

You could cut the worst mats off with scissors but I'd never put clippers on a wet dog. They aren't designed to be used that way and the risk of shock would worry the hell out of me.

Edited by poodlefan

As you are new to clipping I wouldn't suggest the wet clip, your better off going with some very short blades, finding and entry point and using scissors to slice the matts down the back of the dog as you clip.

The idea of clipping a wet dog is that the hair is stretchy/springy enough that you can often go longer than if you were to clip dry, you focus on cleaning close the skin with your hydrobath nozzle and then clip.

With dogs being so matted you aren't able to wash them effectively. You can clip a wet dog with a blade longer and then re washing the dog, dry and do your finish.

Cordless clippers and blade facing down at all times - a lot of american salons do this so have a google.

I can only think of the wet dirty dog causing your blades to rust!

You should charge enough to cover blade cleaning and sharpening. You will find if you wash a matted dog it makes it ten times worse as the matts tighten as they dry.

Either charge more or stop clipping the really messy ones.