Adaa

There's an ADAA trial in WA this week which got me doing some research. I'm wondering who does it and what they think of the differences between ADAA and ANKC. Banjo would be a midi dog which would be fine for the 400 height in combined but the 550 in international would be too heigh for him. It also says midi dogs can compete in mini but not sure how that works. It's very confusing :thumbsup: . Banjo is actually over breed standard height so the smaller Staffords would be in mini.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's an ADAA trial in WA this week which got me doing some research. I'm wondering who does it and what they think of the differences between ADAA and ANKC. Banjo would be a midi dog which would be fine for the 400 height in combined but the 550 in international would be too heigh for him. It also says midi dogs can compete in mini but not sure how that works. It's very confusing :thumbsup: . Banjo is actually over breed standard height so the smaller Staffords would be in mini.

There are some subtle rule differences between the two, but nothing I've had trouble coming to terms with and nothing that really affects you running courses etc.

The start procedure for ADAA is much less formal than ANKC as well. There will probably not be a lead steward and you don't 'have' to wait for the judge.

The height classes are a bit confusing to the uninitiated though.

There are two 'programs' which essentially allows handlers a choice of which height their dog can jump.

The international program is the class that jumps higher while the regular program jump lower heights. eg: My girl measures 475mm at the shoulder which places her in the midi class and gives the the option to jump either 400 with the regulars, but 550 in the international. I choose to jump her at 550 - she handles it fine and has a beautiful jumping style.

My boy on the other hand is not quite as sure of himself and he struggles at the International Maxi height (he measures 540mm) so I also jump him at 550mm - regular maxi.

The two dogs run in different classes even though they are both jumping 550mm.

'Combined program' refers to when the two programs come together like they do for starters, elementary and team games. In that instance all midi dogs jump 400 and all maxi dogs jump 550.

In terms of the other differences - the course design can be quite different depending on which ANKC judges you get. At ADAA the judges all undergo both judges training and course design training, I'm not sure this is the case with ANKC and the courses don't always make as much sense (to me) as the ADAA ones do.

A-frames are a bit higher with ADAA and weave poles measure 550mm centre to centre instead of 600mm like they do with ankc.

Other than that both are heaps of fun and I'm glad we are now playing in both worlds.

let me know if you have any other questions.

Tony

I have been doing ANKC for a year now but only just started ADAA recently. Lomani is 410 so is just in the midi category and while she can clear 550, I don't want to risk any injuries so only run her in the Regular schedule (so that she only jumps 400).

I have only done 2 ADAA trials, the first was a games trial and I really enjoyed the variety of games that ADAA has. There are a couple of rule differences for snooker and gamblers but not too hard to get your head around. The second trial was agility and jumpers and I really enjoyed the courses, very flowing and good for building up speed.

Lomani didn't seem to notice the different spacing with the weavepoles. The dog walk is higher and she seems to pause about 3/4 of the way up and glance at me as if to say, um mum, this is supposed to level off here... but I'm sure she'll be fine once she has done more. They also vary the angle of the A frame depending on the height category that the dogs are in which I think is a good idea.

The biggest difficulty I have had at ADAA is that the judges stand a lot closer than in ANKC. Lomani is not used to that and it is something we will probably need to do in training. She got a bit freaked out by having someone other than me running down the other side of the weavepoles and pulled out a couple of times, and wouldn't come down the A frame with someone standing so close. :D

HI Tiggy

I started in ADAA but just recently went to a couple of ANKC trials. Another beginner came to the ANKC trial to see the difference so we had a similar discussion.

As well as what Tony writes I noticed:

The biggest surprise to me was in ADAA we compet in height classes - so small dogs run against other small dogs. But in some (not all) ANKC the dogs all compet together. While it is nice if your dog is competitive with bigger faster dogs I found this a bit different.

The table is for a count where the dog must be on the table. In ADAA it is a drop position and count.

Little bit more relaxed to start thou it is polite to check judge and scribe table is OK in ADAA. You can go back to the dog (I think? thou I don't have to so can't say) but of course not to touch it.

Entries for the ankc comps are closed earlier, more costly and the comps seem much busier.

Great to have your lead taken and hung up - so spoilt :)

As there is no regular program my dogs jump a bit higher, 5cm for the smallest and 15cm for the other in ANKC.

With ANKC a big benefit I found was that you get passes in jumping and novice seperately. In ADAA the dog has qualies in jumping and agility tests for that level. As long as one of them is in agility they get that tittle and go up. So like I did you find yourself doing the next level and maybe your agility contacts or whatever are not quite great. So in ANKC my dogs will maybe get a tittle in the jumping part first but can compete in agility at their level until they are more stable.

One change ADAA made recently is the new " not for competition " rule. If you make it clear you are running "NFC" as they say, you can run and correct any faults (like contacts) or work on something like your dog breaking at the start. You can do so for the duration of the standard course time. Most competitors are quicker than this thou. I did not know what contact behaviour was at first so while retraining this I use NFC so I can re-do any contacts if the dog misses. If you do not say NFC at the first you are not suposed to redo or "fix" anything. Letting a dog learning contacts to fly over a contact with no contact behaviuor at a comp is not ideal. This is a new thing so just getting used to it. I do not know the rules in aNKC about correcting this type of stuff.

Give ADAA a go. :D It means double the comps you can go to anyway

Oops another difference that can get you is that in ADAA - no collars allowed at any time. While I beleive ANKC allows them if no tag. I left my girls pink one on recently in ADAA and not only are you DQ but I had to stop jumping immediately and remove it. Then continue the course. I am an idiot :(

Oops another difference that can get you is that in ADAA - no collars allowed at any time. While I beleive ANKC allows them if no tag. I left my girls pink one on recently in ADAA and not only are you DQ but I had to stop jumping immediately and remove it. Then continue the course. I am an idiot :D

Hmmmmm....yes. You only do that once. You were lucky. I was asked to leave the ring when I did it. :(

:laugh: Having to leave the ring is a little harsh? If a handler is doing something like treating their dog badly then maybe so - but leaving a collar on which is obviously a mistake. Surely they could let you finish.

I supose it depends on the judge that day? On Sunday ANKC trial a competitor left his dogs collar on but it had a tag. He was told about it on finishing but was allowed to keep his quallie. It was his first run so that was nice.

:D Having to leave the ring is a little harsh? If a handler is doing something like treating their dog badly then maybe so - but leaving a collar on which is obviously a mistake. Surely they could let you finish.

I supose it depends on the judge that day? On Sunday ANKC trial a competitor left his dogs collar on but it had a tag. He was told about it on finishing but was allowed to keep his quallie. It was his first run so that was nice.

Was a big field and they were trying to get through all the runs in a hurry. Harsh - maybe, have I don't it again? Not on your life.

T

I've sent in my membership form :D . I put Banjo down as regular as the 550 in international would be too high for him. I'll check out the ADAA trial this week in Perth.

This ADAA business means agility training on a Friday night get cancelled a fair bit at Gosnells! :laugh: I'm a member there too and have been meaning to get down there to do some agility. I guess not this week :thumbsup:

Wow Tiggy, you're keen! ADAA trial already? :thumbsup:

I'm only watching :laugh: . I just meant I've sent off my membership form and I'm going to watch the trial not enter - I'm not that crazy :eek: .

I'm only watching :laugh: . I just meant I've sent off my membership form and I'm going to watch the trial not enter - I'm not that crazy ;) .

You're eager to be joining already, though! :eek: Have fun watching! I haven't watched an ADAA one before, maybe one day I will! When we're ready for trialling I will probably join too and trial with them also.

I'm only watching :laugh: . I just meant I've sent off my membership form and I'm going to watch the trial not enter - I'm not that crazy :cry: .

You're eager to be joining already, though! :eek: Have fun watching! I haven't watched an ADAA one before, maybe one day I will! When we're ready for trialling I will probably join too and trial with them also.

The membership was only $15 for 3 years so I thought why not - hopefully we'll be trialing by then ;) .

Wow Tiggy, you're keen! ADAA trial already? :laugh:

I'm only watching :eek: . I just meant I've sent off my membership form and I'm going to watch the trial not enter - I'm not that crazy :cry: .

You're eager to be joining already, though! ;) Have fun watching! I haven't watched an ADAA one before, maybe one day I will! When we're ready for trialling I will probably join too and trial with them also.

The membership was only $15 for 3 years so I thought why not - hopefully we'll be trialing by then :cry: .

Awesome, so cheap! :thumbsup: What is Banjo registered as? (name wise).

Edited by RubyStar