Agility Dvds

I couldn't pick just 1 favorite :thumbsup: but here are a few that I have found to be great for training my youngest dog from the ground up.

Foundation, no equipment...

Crate Games - Susan Garrett - suitable for any age, a great thing first thing to start with a baby puppy or to go back to with an experienced dog, this is her foundation for self control and motivation, sets the dog up with the skills for a great start line stay, self control under distraction, drive ahead to an obstical, understanding for finding "blind" obstical entrances as well as a dog who settles nicely in a crate when at home or trial.

Agility Foundation Training - Greg Derrett - suitable for any age, teaches dogs great start line stays, building toy drive under distraction, understanding of following your body language when running with you, left and right verbal directionals, fitness for agility.

Foundation with equpiment...

Sucess With One Jump - Susan Garrett - teach your dog what all of your handling cues will mean with just 1 jump, I highly recommend working through this dvd before moving to more equipment, the difference it makes in the dogs understanding is amazing. Note, Susan uses Greg Derretts handling, so the dvd teaches these handling cues, if you wanted to handle another way its still worth watching and working through this but you will need to modify the different cues to suit whatever handling you intend to use.

Great Dog Shame, About The Handler - Greg Derrett - teaches your dog to front cross, rear cross, pull through, push through, serpentine, 180, 270, post turn etc etc on small sequeces.

Equipment skills...

2x2 Weave Training - Susan Garrett - IMO the best weave training method out there, teaches amazing weave entries, understanding and independance by shaping the whole weaving behaviour.

Foundation Jumping - Susan Salo - Using a series of jump grids teaches your dog how to jump with great style and efficency, increasing the dogs speed around a course and reducing the incidence of knocked bars and jumping related injury. There is also a puppy and an advanced jumping dvd, I haven't seen them but I've heard they are great, and the puppy one can be started at an early age.

Handling...

Great Dog Great Handler, The Winning Combination - Greg Derrett - explains Greg's handling system and is full of handling excercises to practise your handling, timing and positions.

I usually compare the prices at these places.

http://www.agilityclick.com/

http://airdogs.com.au/agility/home.php

and sometimes clean run too, but postage can be pricy

http://www.cleanrun.com/

Foundation with equpiment...

Sucess With One Jump - Susan Garrett - teach your dog what all of your handling cues will mean with just 1 jump, I highly recommend working through this dvd before moving to more equipment, the difference it makes in the dogs understanding is amazing. Note, Susan uses Greg Derretts handling, so the dvd teaches these handling cues, if you wanted to handle another way its still worth watching and working through this but you will need to modify the different cues to suit whatever handling you intend to use.

[Equipment skills...

2x2 Weave Training - Susan Garrett - IMO the best weave training method out there, teaches amazing weave entries, understanding and independance by shaping the whole weaving behaviour.

Completely agree with these :)

Success with One Jump is by far the most useful agility DVD I have watched. Great for teaching obstacle focus and driving ahead as well as handling cues. I knew I had too much handler focus at the start and this DVD helped me to get better obstacle focus.

Not much extra help, but x 2 for what Casima has said. They are all good.

I also like Strengthening the Canine Athlete and Stretching the Canine Athlete - both available from the places the others have mentioned.

Keeping the puppies in good shape is as important as running them - something a lot of people overlook. (I'm sure you know this though.)

T

Foundation Training for Agility by Moe Strenfel is quite good. Lots of ground work exercises.

A good book which you might want to get your hands on is 'Flatwork – Foundation for Agility by Barb Levenson' - I really like this book. Teaches you how to handle and how to make all your body language clear, consistent, coherent and timely while teaching your dog how to take direction and stay with you on course.

Another local new site to buy agility stuff from is http://www.gameondogs.com.au/

Foundation Training for Agility by Moe Strenfel is quite good. Lots of ground work exercises.

A good book which you might want to get your hands on is 'Flatwork – Foundation for Agility by Barb Levenson' - I really like this book. Teaches you how to handle and how to make all your body language clear, consistent, coherent and timely while teaching your dog how to take direction and stay with you on course.

Another local new site to buy agility stuff from is http://www.gameondogs.com.au/

Thanks for that link, never come across that website before.

I have watched the 2x2 DVD heaps of times - and will need to watch it more times before I give the 2x2 method a go :rofl: There is a lot in the DVD and it took me a while to understand the theory and then the steps you would take. It is amazing how she trained the dog on the DVD in such a short space of time!