Bones For Puppy

koalathebear

I've had chicken frames and pigs ears get stuck in the roof of my dogs mouths, its pretty awful to see them gagging on them. In both cases I've had to sticks my fingers in to dislodge it for both of them. So I am really cautious on giving bones without supervision.

I'm happy to give chicken and turkey necks and lamb flaps, anything else I look at a bit warily. I also freeze mince patties and an occassional carrot which takes a bit longer for them to chomp into.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great post!!...coz I've been wondering the same for the longest time for my 5mth old who is 9.5kg :happydance2:

Finally bought a slab of lamb flaps earlier today and will give it a go tmr. A lady at the butcher's bought a bag of knuckle bones, she showed them to me.. seems less fatty and much meatier than the lamb flaps. But someone mentioned earlier that knuckle bones are too hard...Really? So not a good choice for little fellas?

Met someone briefly who's a vet the other day and she mentioned that she's seen many cases of dogs with fractured jaw from chewing too hard a bone :D She kept mentioning to go for meaty bones but didn't specify types of bone (ie: knuckle..shank..etc) :D

Should I even bother to try those mixed bones bags frm woolies/coles or the butchers?

if your local supermarket has lamb bones try them, my dog crushes them up and eats all of it, smaller dogs mightn't eat the whole bones but they seem to be quite soft and usually have a good amount of meat on them.

i've never had any trouble my dog eating any sort of bone, he's had them since he was a baby so he knows to chew properly, probably also helps that his head is massive :happydance2:

dogs should be able to handle most bones providing they aren't cooked. i give smaller bones for normal food and bigger bones to keep him occupied when we're not home. he'll lick the marrow out of a bone for weeks :happydance:

My local Woollies (Gateway Shopping Center in Success, for those in Perth) sell lamb offcuts, lamb forequarter bones, lamb shanks, chicken frames, chicken necks, beef tail, brisket bones and marrow bones. I go nuts there when I have to refill the freezer.

My local butcher (South Lakes Shopping Center) is OK - they sell mixed bags of bones (which most are rib bones, good to chew on) for $2 a bag. A large marrow bone is $4 each and they are happy to cut through the marrow and in quarters. Don't buy their small bones though, the butcher won't cut and Stanley gets bored with them.

I would love to know where in Perth I can buy roo tail and other delicacies. :D

At what age can they start eating bones?

Mine are weaned on to meat with bone in, so any age. BUT if the pup has never had meaty bones before, take it slow and don't expect miracles - bone is more difficult to digest than cooked rice/wheat/corn/dead things found in dry food. Start with something like a chicken neck or a wing portion and see how the pup's stomach reacts to that before filling up the freezer :)