Wet Dog Head Shake In Whippet

bcubed

As Kirislin suggests, constant reinfection may be the cause.

Are your cats outdoor cats?

Do your dogs go to the dog park and come into contact with other dogs?

The cats do go out but spend most of their time indoors. We don't take the dogs to the park but walk them every day.

Could be food allergies cause by the food you feed them.

Do you feed prepared dry food or fresh.

The cats eat tinned food and dry food (IAMS). The dogs get vegies and canned food plus dry food

1. Mites - If your cats go outside they could be picking them up and reinfecting the dogs.

2. Yeast infection - can be on the paws then dog scratches their ears and reinfect their ears.

3. Allergies - Try a wheat free food, single protein source such as chicken. Vets sell a prescription diet or you can get something like Artemis.

My 2 mini poodles had a similar problem earlier this year. Grass seeds caused the initial infection which got worse due to a crap vet who treated them for yeast infection (didnt see the grass seeds) and prescribed Dermotic, still not better changed vets, dogs sedated, ears plucked, flushed grass seeds removed, treated with Otomax and oral antibiotic then they still had some discharge and we treated with a spot on as they had picked up mites (dont know if it was a co-incedence or not)

The next step after all this if there was still problems was to treat for allergies and go on a prescription diet of a dry food from which is from a single protein source such as chicken (apparently chicken is good for allergic dogs)

What the OP hasn't mentioned is the 'findings' of the initial veterinary examination. Although that doesn't guarantee that the same thing is happening over again, it is something I'm curious about.

The vet put the dogs under anaesthetic and examined the ears. Both dogs had a little yellow wax, not smelly. The vet cleaned the ears. She did find a small little insect type thingy on the leg of the whippet. It was brown and about the size of a flea. It had been squashed. Our dogs and cats don't have fleas. Evry visit to the vets (and there have been many) the dogs ears have ben fopund to be clean. One of the cats recently has also been to the vets because she was leaning her head over to the side. The vet gave her some ear drops but found nothing suspicious in her ears except a build up of wax.

if its ear mites then there is a lot of very dark wax...and it has a particular odour

i treat mine with paraffin oil ( do that with the odd mite i get with the birds too)

have never not got rid of them this way and it takes very little effort

i just syringe some into the ear and massage it

cheap as too

but youd really have to rule out any other cause

i have actually seen the little tiny blighters...little weeny things...white moving almost invisible to the naked eye...but not every time

just check with the vet

if they think it is ok

it was my vet who whispered to me not to waste big money but to try the paraffin oil

grateful to her...!

There is no dark wax or yukky smell.