Open Obedience- Cop Or Broad Jump.

I'm currently training Jess the CDX exercises and I wondered if its more common for people to choose change of position over broad jump or vice versa. Did you train both or just the one that you'd do in trials?

I haven't decided on what I'll do yet, so I'm training both.

How about you?

:laugh:

I will teach my next dog both, but will do Distance Control when trialling in Open unless the conditions are right. The reason being that I don't want my dog to injury them self on the broad jump on wet slippery grounds. And the constant landing on the right side puts a lot of pressure on that leg all the time.

Don't forget the judge can take the food out of the container and offer it by hand to the dog. This would be the undoing of my little piggy!!!!!

I taught Lincoln RS :rofl: it's so adorable I can have him sitting with a ring of treats around him and he is trying so hard not to even look at them because he knows I have the food that he gets but they are so tempting! :laugh:

:) Cute. Yes I can do that to my girls too but in the UD food refusal I am pretty sure the judge takes the food up on a platter and waves it under their nose. And they have to maintain the 3 positions each time (stand, sit, down). Someone of course correct me if I'm wrong, cos I've never really read up on it!

:bottom: Cute. Yes I can do that to my girls too but in the UD food refusal I am pretty sure the judge takes the food up on a platter and waves it under their nose. And they have to maintain the 3 positions each time (stand, sit, down). Someone of course correct me if I'm wrong, cos I've never really read up on it!

And, you have your back to the dog!!!

I briefly entertained the idea of doing this exercise with my older Vizsla, after he blew the speak a few times (he was extremely vocal and was either perfect for the exercise, or wouldn't bark even once :rofl: ) I soon switched to gloves :rofl:

I had this happen to me at a trial recently - had never seen a judge offer it by hand before!! Didn't know they could!! Needless to say, my little girl just couldn't help herself with that one :thumbsup: (and btw, refusing food from hand is not something you can train on your own, refusing from a container is quite easy to train though).

Oh, and in answer to original question - I train for both in Open, nice to mix it up at times. I am doing the same with the optional exercises in UD too. Have never had a dog injured by jumping the broad jump, not if trained correctly.

Don't forget the judge can take the food out of the container and offer it by hand to the dog. This would be the undoing of my little piggy!!!!!

Not many judges do it any more but some of the older judges still do and it is in the rules that they can :laugh: . I know it can be taught positively but for my training methods it would become confusing and I suspect a little depressing at the end of the routine. I taught it many years ago with my kelpie as she had retrieving issues but in the end she got quite depressed so I switched to gloves and whilst she made more mistakes she was a much happier little vegemite and got her UD with gloves as the option.

For some reason I can't hit reply and automatically quote you. Something about opening and closing tags not matching so am just going to bold your quote. I'm not very good at the finer points of posting on this forum! :thumbsup:

I had this happen to me at a trial recently - had never seen a judge offer it by hand before!! Didn't know they could!! Needless to say, my little girl just couldn't help herself with that one :) (and btw, refusing food from hand is not something you can train on your own, refusing from a container is quite easy to train though).

I am going to start teaching gloves as an option too - she likes retrieving, but seemed to naturally refuse food from strangers, which is why I did food refusal. But she's been getting so excited in the ring of late (her confidence is growing I think), that she forgets herself sometimes :) I basically started her off with dry boring food and clicker trained the refusal and used really really high value rewards - things like sausages, chicken wings and mince balls. And just built it from there. She's also been one of those dogs that twigs to the final exercise and knows that it's the end and her reward is coming - so she doesn't seem to see the exercise as negative at all cause she knows she is about to get something extra yummy anyway :laugh: She got corrected by the judge in the ring at our last trial (where the judge was offereing food from the hand) and since then, she's been spot on with food refusal - from a container though of course LOL

Not many judges do it any more but some of the older judges still do and it is in the rules that they can :thumbsup: . I know it can be taught positively but for my training methods it would become confusing and I suspect a little depressing at the end of the routine. I taught it many years ago with my kelpie as she had retrieving issues but in the end she got quite depressed so I switched to gloves and whilst she made more mistakes she was a much happier little vegemite and got her UD with gloves as the option.

ooooooh tricky one i think that i will train both. The reason for that being that it would be nice to have the options available especially if the weather is crap i want to limit as many drops as i can if this was the case (especially after our disaster in the ring at the state obedience championships :) )

I think train both cop and broad jump. Because the more you teach your dog the better, (for both of you).

Food refusal is easy to train. Just remember to offer the food in as many different ways as you can

think of. Eg, in your fingers, on the palm of your hand, on the back of your hand, on your foot, and drop

it on accidentally on purpose so the dog knows dropped food counts as well, on the lid of a container, in a container,

container held in the hand and placed on the ground. And do everything in all 3 positions, sit drop and stand.

Start each offering of the food by saying "this is a leave" and try to teach the dog not to look at or sniff the food.

luvsablue

I plan to do COP for Open, am already doing COP for Novice so it's just the next step. Plus I'm trying to avoid crossover between agility and obedience.

Whoever suggested to extra runs with using a dumbell - that's a great idea! :cry: I've just been planning trials for the next month or so and I'm going into a double back to back trial with two passes to go and a single trial in between. Hopefully we can rack up the title on the first day (or first morning would be even better!!) then I can get the dumbell out and see how she goes in a trial situation.

Interested as to what is required for speak on command in UD? Darcy does speak on command but she throws herself down into a drop at the same time - a legacy of taking whatever I could get to have her bark at all! :thumbsup:

My understanding of speak on command is that it is done in all 3 positions, handler in front of dogs (not sure of distance away, probably about 5 metres I am guessing). Dog must not move. My girl can do this but tends to move a bit in the stand position. I also find you need your dog pretty 'up' to get them to bark consistently.

Interested as to what is required for speak on command in UD? Darcy does speak on command but she throws herself down into a drop at the same time - a legacy of taking whatever I could get to have her bark at all! :cry:

My understanding of speak on command is that it is done in all 3 positions, handler in front of dogs (not sure of distance away, probably about 5 metres I am guessing). Dog must not move. My girl can do this but tends to move a bit in the stand position. I also find you need your dog pretty 'up' to get them to bark consistently.
Interested as to what is required for speak on command in UD? Darcy does speak on command but she throws herself down into a drop at the same time - a legacy of taking whatever I could get to have her bark at all! :cry:

Yes the speak on command is at 5metres. The dog must not break position when speaking and the dog must start from a sit as there is a small lead out for each position.

Ok, count me and the Labs out of this option in that case :rolleyes:

I taught Lincoln RS :driving: it's so adorable I can have him sitting with a ring of treats around him and he is trying so hard not to even look at them because he knows I have the food that he gets but they are so tempting! :cry:

:thumbsup: Cute. Yes I can do that to my girls too but in the UD food refusal I am pretty sure the judge takes the food up on a platter and waves it under their nose. And they have to maintain the 3 positions each time (stand, sit, down). Someone of course correct me if I'm wrong, cos I've never really read up on it!

I can't imagine anyone choosing to do food refusal - silly exercise if you ask me ;)

I still see plenty of people choose to do it, I can't see the point of it either but some people obviously still like it!

I stopped training it when the option came in cos I don't own a board jump, have no desire to own one and even if I did own one I doubt I'd be bothered enough to set it up for training!! :) Same reason I train UD scent discrimination on the ground cos I'm too lazy to put the mat out!