How Can I Get Her To Pay Attention To Me?

haylz27

Hey guys, I need your advice about something. I have a beagle x cocker spaniel (20 months) who is a great dog. The only thing is she won't LISTEN to me sometimes. You could call her name a million times but she just does not find me interesting unless I have treats or food. Then she listens almost 100% of the time (inside our house/outside). I must admit that this is probably my own fault for not knowing enough or not training her right... She's been like this from the day we got her.

She gets so excited the moment the leash comes out. She gets so stimulated that she doesn't listen to a word I say on walks, it's gotten to the point where I just exercise her in the backyard. She ignores treats, toys, ect as well. I've tried the "tree" method, where you stop as soon as the dog pulls, or when you turn around as soon as she pulls. That didn't work at all. She just whines as soon as we stop.

I'm getting so frustrated. She pulled me that hard today that my wrist almost had pins and needles.

This is pretty much the only thing that I have a problem with.

I have only started learning about training throughout the past year and a bit and want to get better. She knows heaps of things, such as sit, stay, down, roll over, cross paws, high5, spin, beg... ect.

I guess it's my own fault, but I am getting really annoyed.

How can I get her to listen to me, especially when we are in an exciting environment? Even 5m out the door is exciting for her. Also, how can I teach her to stop getting so excited while outside? Plus her recall is terrible, not gonna lie.

Any advice? :) I'm sorry if this sounds stupid... It's so embarrassing. :)

Well lets look at the breeder Both Cockers and Beagles are designed to work So your dog sounds like she has a natural drive to do things when there is a reward involved. I would start looking into taking to formal obedience lessons as there will be trainers there with far more knowledge there and will be able to show you first hand.

Another thing you could look into for the future is something like Agility or Flyball as it would be a great way to stimulate her mind but first Get some formal obedience under your belt...

My next question is Where does your dog sleep? Do you allow it to sit up on the couch with you? When does it eat? Before or after you?

Try re-establishing your pack order with your dog. This means dog sleeps on the floor, Isn't allowed to sit on couches/chairs always on the floor and eats after you and NEVER before because in a Pack Alfa goes first and is always higher up.

Good luck and let us know how your go

Have you tried leash walking her in the backyard? When she is sleeping, or quiet.. gently and calmy and with NO speaking.. attach the leash to her collar ( you have had it in your pocket up til now ;)

Walk straight out to the backyard... once again- NO talking...or patting or treats or anything... just walking .Then just walk around and around and around for about 20 mins. :) No talking..no treats...just walk After that, get her to sit ..and with no more talking or anything - take the leash off.. and you walk away- back to the house .

If she follows you and comes up to you ... then GENTLY and quietly pat her and tell her how beautiful she is .

You may also like to try attending obedience classes - or having a trainer come visit your house for private lessons :) That way you learn the correct way of going about it - and will hopefully be able to enjoy being on walks with your girl :)

Well lets look at the breeder Both Cockers and Beagles are designed to work So your dog sounds like she has a natural drive to do things when there is a reward involved. I would start looking into taking to formal obedience lessons as there will be trainers there with far more knowledge there and will be able to show you first hand.

Another thing you could look into for the future is something like Agility or Flyball as it would be a great way to stimulate her mind but first Get some formal obedience under your belt...

My next question is Where does your dog sleep? Do you allow it to sit up on the couch with you? When does it eat? Before or after you?

Try re-establishing your pack order with your dog. This means dog sleeps on the floor, Isn't allowed to sit on couches/chairs always on the floor and eats after you and NEVER before because in a Pack Alfa goes first and is always higher up.

Good luck and let us know how your go

She's actually quiet lazy and happy to lay around all day, until the food comes out. Same as our JRT, she's always been a quiet lazy dog too haha. I guess I need advice on how to get her motivated/to stay motivated enough to train with me. :)

I was thinking about obedience classes, but she knows everything in the basics class /except/ for loose leash walking. Would it be worth it? :)

I would love to do agility; we've done some jumps before which was great but she quickly lost focus. :S

She sleeps in the laundry on her dog bed. Yes, she's allowed on my bed but usually not for long. She eats after we finish our dinner usually.

Have you tried leash walking her in the backyard? When she is sleeping, or quiet.. gently and calmy and with NO speaking.. attach the leash to her collar ( you have had it in your pocket up til now :)

Walk straight out to the backyard... once again- NO talking...or patting or treats or anything... just walking .Then just walk around and around and around for about 20 mins. :rofl: No talking..no treats...just walk After that, get her to sit ..and with no more talking or anything - take the leash off.. and you walk away- back to the house .

If she follows you and comes up to you ... then GENTLY and quietly pat her and tell her how beautiful she is .

You may also like to try attending obedience classes - or having a trainer come visit your house for private lessons :) That way you learn the correct way of going about it - and will hopefully be able to enjoy being on walks with your girl ;)

Yes, I have done this a few times but I usually use verbal commands/treats. She is usually so focused on getting out the front as soon as her leash goes on. This is great advice, thank you! :)

Edited by haylz27

peresphone....

that is so simple it's gold.....

i wish i had that a year ago...leo being 34kg and taught to pull on the lead being long ingrained the only way i could even start to sort it out was a way i would be stoned to death here for using ... but now a year later he nearly walks on a flat collar... we might come back to a check chain.

although he came with one nearly cutting his head off.... and of no use at all. we nearly cut him getting it off.

your advice is gold pure gold.

Have you tried a whistle? My Cocker Spaniel Paddington is constantly distracted by noises or movements. I have found the whistle helpful. Also try clicker training so that she is looking out for the click rather than other exciting noises. I know it can become frustrating so I second the recommendation for professional training. It is well worth the cost, especially with lifetime guarantee. Try the above and if all else fails search for a trainer in your area.

Good luck

Charlotte

Have you tried a whistle? My Cocker Spaniel Paddington is constantly distracted by noises or movements. I have found the whistle helpful. Also try clicker training so that she is looking out for the click rather than other exciting noises. I know it can become frustrating so I second the recommendation for professional training. It is well worth the cost, especially with lifetime guarantee. Try the above and if all else fails search for a trainer in your area.

Good luck

Charlotte

I forgot to mention, she has been clicker trained before. :) Except she tends to ignore the click when she's over-excited.

I haven't tried a whistle. Maybe that could work. :)

Read Control Unleashed. :)

McDevitt (author of CU) has a game called the Gimme A Break game that is designed to teach dogs that are easily distracted to want to hang out with their handler rather than checking out distractions. And she has a few other games that might be helpful, too. I love her games!