Which Brand Or Which Digital Slr Is Good?

ToyLeRouge

Hi Guys,

Just sold my canon eos 350d and going to upgrade to a new DSLR to take photos for puppy and maybe adult dogs.

As you all know that puppies move around a lot and i need something good for indoors with very little light or under spot light.

Looking at the Canon EOS 450D.

Someone told me the Nikon is good for its ISO and indoors photo taking...

Anyone suggestions ??

And what kind of lens should I be using for taking puppy photos?

Do I need a lighting tent with white or other background?

Thanks for the help in advance.

ah that is the 64 million dollar question - cause the Nikon and Canon camps are both very passionate about their camera

For me .... Nikon all the way!

Maybe go and handle both and see which works for you .....

I have used a 350d before but i feel the ISO is not good enough for indoors with puppies.... out of 100 pics i took only 4 to 6 photos are good... even with a tripod..

A friend of mine brought his nikon D700 and took a few photos of my puppies in my house without flash and he set on auto.. his photos turns out to be heaps better than mine and i tried to use his cam to take a few shots, it really turns out very well! (set on auto without flash) but then again, he paid over $8k for his D700 and lens.. lol..

So i am looking to get something better then the 350D but not spending too much for a Cam..

Either either. Both companies produce very good cameras.

What you want to do is check out the reviews - like dpreview (not the forum there, the actual reviews) - and have a look see at the high ISO performance.

A properly exposed image shot on a Canon 450 ISO 800, 1000, and even 1600 will work. The key is properly exposing the image. You can miss by a little with the 800, but you can't miss by much on 1600. The newer models give you a little more room to play, but you'll pay more for them.

Another alternative is to find a second hand Canon 40D. I don't think twice about shooting at 1600 with my 40Ds. I think they are going for like $600-$700 ish at the moment.

Nikon has equivalents but you are going to want to stay in the newer generations of models as it's only been the past couple of years that their high ISO performance has come into its own - especially on consumer models - and earlier models weren't in the same league as the Canon (go back to whatever the direction competition to the 30D was and buy newer than that...some even think the direct comp to the 40D wasn't in the same ballpark but after that the Niks really really got good).

OH, and remember, you need to be realistic with your expectations, too. You may not be able to shoot available light of puppies playing indoors with anything - I know I usually throw an off cam flash up in the living room if I want to shoot mine coz our living room lighting is terrible!

Edited by kja

What was the aperture on the lens of your firends camera? Could it have been a wider aperture, meaining that it takes better photos in low light, regardless of the camera it's attached to (as long as it's compatible :laugh:). Maybe it's more about getting the lens for the job!

I have got some great shots with my Canon 350D in low light with my 1.8 50mm :laugh: I do avoid going above ISO 400 if I can though...

bit like the old Ford vs Holden or PC vs Apple Mac - both have their great features, and both have very passionate supporters - me I use both, and can say that the Canon 5dII and Nikon D700 both handle low light well

Guest Tess32

You probably need a faster lens, not a new camera. I had a 350D and did use shots at ISO 1600. Weren't GREAT (esp compared to newer models) but with a good lens it was fine.