Cows Ears Vs Pigs Ears

Hi all,

Looking to buy more treats for hazel as such that she's lost weight and can have treats now...

What's the difference between all the different ears?

cow's ears vs sheep ears vs pig's earS?

I know pigs are the most common and hazel Loves all of them, but is there any real difference between them?

My OH thinks cows ears would be best cos all they eat is grass....

opinions?

my understanding is that most pigs ears are fried and are high in fat .... you can buy venison ears which are air dried and (I think) about 95% fat free .... my dogs get the venison ears

my understanding is that most pigs ears are fried and are high in fat .... you can buy venison ears which are air dried and (I think) about 95% fat free .... my dogs get the venison ears

Wow thanks for that tip FionaC, I was not aware you could get venison ears. Will have to see if I can get some.

Lyn - I have purchased sheep ears and have found that they only take Kody about 5 seconds to gobble up, so I prefer the pig's ears.

I have my first batch of cows ears here, and they are going well. Heidi loves venison ears and was getting one a day (sometimes 2). I thought I'd try the cow ears, and buy a bag of sheeps ears. The sheeps ears are much smaller, but as far as Heidi knows, it makes no difference, as she always gets an ear when we finish our morning walk. It is more cost effective for me, because I can purchase a 100 sheeps ears for the price of 50 venison ears.

Heidi cannot have a fatty diet, and the venison and sheep ears are perfect. No ill effects on the bowels at all, and I've been using them for about a year now.

Yeah pigs and venison ears seem to be most expensive now...

I have tried sheep ears but they seem to be very smelly and white (bleached?)

Let me know how the cows ears go cos I've seen alot of them to be air-dried now.

Cows ears are chaper too

• 4 months later...

Pigs Ears are air dried! Never never fried, i am a manufacturer, they would rot in 2 days if they were fried.

:eek: yes sheep ears Tahli doesn't take long to get through but I feel a bit healthier.

Going to try some cow and venison then but she looooooooooves pig ears.

I heard the same thing pig ears high in fat should only be given maybe 1-2 times a week (that's what I was told so let me know if wrong)

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried the cows, pigs and sheep ears. As everyone has mentioned pigs ears have a high fat content so not really a good option for dogs with a weight problem. My dog didn't really like the cows ears, not sure why but they were very brittle and alot thinner compared to the pigs ears, so probably not as chewy.

I bought the sheep ears because of the chondrotin content which is good for joints and arthritis. He doesn't have any arthritis but I thought it couldn't hurt.

all ears have a cartilage component, thats what gives them their shape

If you want a fattier option then pigs ears would be as they have a greater proportion of white fat. If the dog is doing exercise though I dont see what the problem is eating an ear here and there, just cut down or remove a meal

Mine get halved fresh pig heads, no fatties here