Deleted

Moselle

I have neighbours (they live about 800 metres away) who are into greyhound racing. I have been made aware that live lure is used to 'break' in their greyhounds. I have never actually seen it as they know that I would be most upset about it but have been told this on a few occasions, in fact I have been to their property on a few occasions and saw live rabbits in cages and knew that they were going to be used once again to break in more greyhounds. I have reported this to the RSPCA as I don't agree that any living being should be shredded to pieces. I know that they have also thrown in the odd rooster on occasion.

Is this the normal avenue that greyhound trainers take? It appears to me that this is so and I am finding it very distressing. I have heard along the lines that possums and cats have met such a grim fate. Surely not every trainer does this?

I suggest you voice your concerns to the greyhound board in your state.

I have neighbours (they live about 800 metres away) who are into greyhound racing. I have been made aware that live lure is used to 'break' in their greyhounds. I have never actually seen it as they know that I would be most upset about it but have been told this on a few occasions, in fact I have been to their property on a few occasions and saw live rabbits in cages and knew that they were going to be used once again to break in more greyhounds. I have reported this to the RSPCA as I don't agree that any living being should be shredded to pieces. I know that they have also thrown in the odd rooster on occasion.

Is this the normal avenue that greyhound trainers take? It appears to me that this is so and I am finding it very distressing. I have heard along the lines that possums and cats have met such a grim fate. Surely not every trainer does this?

It is illegal. Keep on at the RSPCA until you get action. Also call the greyhound racing authority in your state. Follow up in writing with an email. It is cruel and wrong and it needs urgent investigation.

Very illegal. See if you can get pics as well. :smashpc:

I have often thought of taking photos of the live rabbits in cages but I would have been seen doing this and I was not in a position to get involved. I was living on my own and we have had many arguments in the past which were followed by threats. I was afraid for my own animals as he did threatened to bait my dogs; I did on that occasion report him to the police and the officer that I spoke to said that there was not much he could do until after the deed :laugh: . I took the chance to ring again and spoke to another police officer who had a different attitude, he actually went over to this man's place and warned him that if anything untoward was to happen to my dogs he would be held directly responsible. I have reported him to both Greyhound racing victoria and the RSPCA and the agreement was that they would follow it up and get back to me, I haven't heard from them and this man still continues with his hideous practices. I would presume that if the RSPCA did turn up to investigate they were probably told that the rabbits were kept as pets or as food for the dogs, that is that they were killed first and then fed to the dogs. That man is as cunning as a shithouse rat!

It is illegal. Keep on at the RSPCA until you get action. Also call the greyhound racing authority in your state. Follow up in writing with an email. It is cruel and wrong and it needs urgent investigation.

I have contacted Greyhound Racing Victoria also, am not sure as to what transpired soon after the call, from the looks of things nothing has changed. The fact is that I am the only one that they know would object to this kind of practice therefore

it is a case of them putting 2 and 2 together. I did what I felt I had to do but did not think that I had to be on both the RSPCA and GRV back's to get results. Losing faith in the RSPCA.

I suggest you voice your concerns to the greyhound board in your state.

I cannot help but feel that there is so much ado about nothing. GRV make out like they're out for the welfare of GH but when the shit hits the fan they would sooner look the other way. I have reported these people for other things aside from using live bait but they're still very much racing their dogs as though not a word had been murmured to GRV and the RSPCA.

I know of someone who used to brag about using live lure, being rabbit or chicken, on several occasions and laughed about.

Never was this bought up in front of me as I have a GAP grey. Everyone had had enough and phone calls were made and an inspection was done :smashpc: .

We were told that some talk about it but never actually do it. I believe they still do it but somehow they hide it.

That's why I suggested photo's, but you are in a tricky situation.

I know of someone who used to brag about using live lure, being rabbit or chicken, on several occasions and laughed about.

Never was this bought up in front of me as I have a GAP grey. Everyone had had enough and phone calls were made and an inspection was done :smashpc: .

We were told that some talk about it but never actually do it. I believe they still do it but somehow they hide it.

That's why I suggested photo's, but you are in a tricky situation.

It still very much goes on and always will, this is not something that can be policed. In my line of work I do come across all kinds of stories and people and I cannot get my head around how some people can be so darn cold hearted.

BTW, I no longer visit them besides which I am living with someone now and he literally forbids me to visit them given that I have told him a few unpalatable things about them.

I am a greyhound trainer and THIS IS ILLEGAL and NO not all of us are like this! :thumbsup:

A greyhound does what he does by INSTINCT...they should NOT have to be made mean to chase!

NONE of our dogs are done this way and it is the people like this that are despicable to the greyhound world! :rofl: :rofl: :)

I will PM you.......

Edited by Kanati Whippets

It says you are in Qld in your profile. The left hand side of the screen under state says QLD

Op poops, I didn't notice that. I thought I had clicked on Victoria. Well, I am on my way to changing that.

sadly not all greyhound people are nice.....

its a terrible thing, racing sometimes. But no, there is alot of us who really care about our animals. we don't keep lots but we love ours greatly. all out dogs go into the GAP or i place them into pet homes when they retire. we also help to rescue the ones from horrible owners....I have been lucky enough to actually have contact from people who have adopted our dogs from GAP. Its good that you care enough to help them... these people don't deserve to have them if that's what they are doing.