My Puppy Is So Good!

aussielover

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My border collie Gael is 9 months old so heading out of puppy hood. It amazes me this is an age when lots of puppies are given away. All my hard work with her is paying off but she is still quite puppy like, cute and playful! Actually for a BC puppy she has always been very good, her breeders did an awesome job with her. She was toilet trained when I got her at 9 weeks, would run to the door so we let her out. At 9 months she is a beautiful girl, no chewing no jumping, take her off lead and she keeps an eye on me and comes back when called. I have her first Rally O competition in 2 weeks time.

I love when they hit around the 7-9 month age when they're slowly growing out of puppyhood and they've got some training down - they make even greater company! I think people give up puppies at that age because they're normally untrained and hard to handle by that time! I've met with a family who gave away their puppy because it wasn't house-trained ... well of course it wasn't if you didn't put any effort at all into showing him where to toilet! :laugh: I've toilet-trained a 6 year old dog before within a couple of weeks, it just takes a LOT of patience and time!

Aww, I miss having a puppy now! ;)

"Little puppy" time goes by so fast, with my oldest girl Maddie she was the first puppy I raised myself as an adult and it seemed I spent more time worrying about her, whether I was messing her up, and if she was on track with puppy milestones etc, than I did just ENJOYING HER. Also she was an only puppy, I think that makes it harder. Aside from the fact she was extremely destructive: diggy, bitey etc and found me about as interesting as well, nothing. If I tried to restrain her from doing destructive things she screamed the place down and tried to bite me. I have always wondered if I would have enjoyed her a lot more if I had some grown up doggy "help". She hit about 10 months old and suddenly turned into the most obedient, "geeky" dog you could imagine. She is still very independant if she isn't doing some kind of "work", she always looks horrified if I try and cuddle her.

KC I got when Maddie was still a puppy really so they spent most of the day playing and KC was a very quiet and sweet-natured easy puppy anyway.

Maddie and KC have done a lot of the hard work with Gael. I was amazed how tolerant they were of puppy hi-jinks, but definately letting her know when she was biting too hard etc. As she has gotten older and bigger they have taught her more and more of the rules.

Gael is an angel, from working line breeding and very active when out and about and very focussed and bright when being trained, but probably the biggest snuggly-wuggly cuddler I have ever come across in BCs. Very endearing...I like cuddles too so we are well suited :laugh:

Luv all these gorgeous well (and not so well)behaved puppies. I have a brag from the weekend! :mad

Marlin is one of those laid back BC's, loves everyone and pats and belly scratches but has never had much to do with kids. We were at a function with lots of people and a heap of kids zooming around, suddenly she was surrounded by 4 little girls (5/6 yr olds) who just wanted to pat and cuddle her, she sat good as gold while they made a huge fuss of her squeeling and giggling, hugging and stroking her, after a few minutes she looked at me with those eyes imploring me 'get me outta here' :shrug: I was so proud.

Yeah I have a proud moment also!

I took Mindy up to the video store with me. There were some kids playing outside and they wanted to say hello to her. I was a bit unsure at first as being a lab, she tends to mouth people and can sometimes (accidently) bite a bit hard, just in a playful way. Anyway they came over and started patting her, she was soo good and only licked them, no biting at all! It was like she knew they were little and couldn't be bitten!

Taught Mindy how to speak today! I also taught her to shut up too :thumbsup: My mum doesn't like it though :laugh:

I'm really enjoying teaching her tricks now!

I am teaching her roll over as well which she gets 50-60 % of the time.

she also had a play date with Rover and Riddick (2 very well behaved labs! made me completely jealous) who are owened by lovemesideways!

I was so proud of Akira today. I've been trying to teach her recall but it's been a bit hard cos she follows me everywhere anyway, so it's hard to really teach her. But we've been teaching her to stay when she's fed and she's finally almost got this going alright. So today I decided to get her to sit and stay and then try recall, which she worked out how to do really quickly. After I had her coming easily, I sent her outside to play and left her alone, and then called her in at random times and she came everytime. I was so happy! She learns so quickly. :)

I have to brag :thumbsup: we have had our puppy for 4 weeks and it has been SO easy. She pretty much came potty trained already and slept through the night from day 1. Crate training was easy, she walks nicely on leash, doesn't mind getting groomed, loves going for car rides and meeting new people/dogs. She also hasn't destroyed anything and is learning new tricks and commands every day. Please please stay this good :o

4715758630_59e44cf3dd.jpg

Edited by jaegertheweim

Jaegertheweim, she is beautiful!

Ok, new things Nandi learned.

- She realised that lead = fun, so instead of running away when I take the lead she runs toward me. :eek:

- I can eat something really good (like steak) with her next to me on the couch, she will sniff the air and just lie down again.... a couple of weeks ago she would have climbed into my plate.

- She does not run out every time we open the front door... she now sits and wait for as to leave or come inside.

And the most important - she eats what I give her, no more fussy eating! :thumbsup: (Thanks Bundy's Mum. :D )

• 2 weeks later...

we have two awesome dogs like that

that were great puppies...real scholars when it came to training

but it is when you get a recalcitrant dog that the rewards are even greater

this last one of ours came to us wild as the prairiehounds and yet to see him now is truly humbling...knowing how much he has come round to our ways...because he chooses to do so....he is now my true heart dog

Moon is 2 now but she was the best puppy ever. She was a find, she was taped inside a cardboard box in my brother's paddock, she was about 8 weeks old.

He loved her on sight and fully intended on keeping her but when she saw me she lit up and went crazy following me, so she went home with me.

From day one it was no crying, no howling, no biting, barking, digging, chewing, weeing in the house or begging.

She was perfect in every way, friendly with everyone and anything.

I have no idea why she was dumped like that, in a microwave box without even a towel, taped up and under a tree. She was a fantastic puppy and learned the basics after only a few repetitions.

The first time she met her new family she was stumped!

My grandma has two black male danes, my stepdad has a male blue, my brothers both have a blue female each, my sister has a female harlie and my aunt has a female black.

She was a big blob of merle in a forest of legs but she stood right up wagged her tail and jumped up to lip-lick.

You wouldnt've had any idea what breed she was by her size and colour but she sure knew and all her new rellies adored her on first sight.

I was very happy with Akira today. At the DOL meetup on Sunday, she was very naughty with the smaller puppies and did not play nicely at all. Today I took her to the dog park and she played very nicely with a beagle and a small cross of some kind. I kept her on the lead for the first part of the time at the dog park, though, because there was a fairly aggressive spitz cross of some sort that was growling at her.

And now she's lying down cleaning mud off of herself. Good puppy. :p

I was very happy with Akira today. At the DOL meetup on Sunday, she was very naughty with the smaller puppies and did not play nicely at all. Today I took her to the dog park and she played very nicely with a beagle and a small cross of some kind. I kept her on the lead for the first part of the time at the dog park, though, because there was a fairly aggressive spitz cross of some sort that was growling at her.

And now she's lying down cleaning mud off of herself. Good puppy. :p

Whiskedaway, I don't think she was naughty at the meet.... she did exactly what Nandi did, it just didn't look like it because Nandi is small..... :rofl:

I'm glad she had a good time at the park, she is a beautiful puppy. :D