Bones?

natamalie

Hey all,

Just wondering what types of bones you prefer to give to your dogs?

At the moment, Zander gets chicken wings and once or twice a week he'll get half a marrowbone to gnaw on. I'm interested to see if people recommend any other types as I noticed someone suggest lamb shanks in another post...

Also, what type of raw meat do you feed, (if any)? Zander is fed mainly on Eagle Pack but I am considering incorporating raw meat and perhaps eventually switching to a raw diet overall...

Thanks! :D

Chicken wings, frames and necks are very popular in my house, as well as turkey necks and lamb bones.

They get bones basically every single day.. either for dinner or lunch.

They are also fed BARF and at least once a week they get sardines or something fishy.

Emmy's dry food is Advance Puppy Plus. Charlie is now on Advance Adult food too.

Any kind of soft bone they can consume entirely. I feed chicken frames, lamb brisket and goat bones. I never feed marrow bones or shanks as they are hard load bearing bones and can do damage. I like large bones not the small knuckle bones as I worry about them getting caught. I've just discovered chicken feet at my local butcher! They look gross but the dogs love them as a treat. :D Cheap too.. $2.99 per kg.

For meat I feed goat, roo and chicken pet mince from Leonards. I also feed offal from the butchers every so often and whole raw frozen sardines from the fish shop...$10 per Kilo so they get one each as a treat per day. Mixed pulped vegies and fruit make up the rest of their diet and no grains. I try not to feed to much beef as it can be implicated in allergies.

Hey all,

Just wondering what types of bones you prefer to give to your dogs?

At the moment, Zander gets chicken wings and once or twice a week he'll get half a marrowbone to gnaw on. I'm interested to see if people recommend any other types as I noticed someone suggest lamb shanks in another post...

Also, what type of raw meat do you feed, (if any)? Zander is fed mainly on Eagle Pack but I am considering incorporating raw meat and perhaps eventually switching to a raw diet overall...

Thanks! :D

Chicken wings, chicken necks, chicken frames, lamb shanks. I do own a japanese chin and I never give him chicken necks - too scared he will choke. He will gnaw on a lamb shank and I do give him chicken wings but only when I am supervising him.

mine get regular dried roo tail tips - the local pet store stocks them.

The dogs love 'em, and given the size of the roo tail (about 20-25cm) it keeps them occupied for a decent amount of time. And they can eat the lot.

Mine gets meaty chicken of any sort, but mainly necks. Thighs, legs, wings, frames etc are all options if they are cheap.

Also Lamb flap. Turkey necks if I can get them.

I never feed load bearing bone of any sort.

Two reasons - one is she buries them under DHs fruit tress and this is not good for the fruit trees.

And secondly, they are not recommended as they are too hard and can splinter/break etc. I also noticed that she never used her back teeth on those big bones anyway - and that is where the plaque builds up, not on the front teeth. :rofl:

The vet always says something about the excellent condition of her teeth. :)

I am feeding roo meat at the moment because of allergies but I used to feed a combination of chicken mince and roo mince, chicken necks, lamb heart, lamb kidney. I also feed roo bones, I get a variety of sizes, some are smaller and he manages to eat the whole thing, others are very large and he can eat the meat off the bone but not much of the bone itself.

Billie loves anything even vaguely resembling a bone. She swallows chicken necks and small wings whole so I avoid those. Turkey wings, chicken drumsticks, various lamb bones and large chicken wings are the usual suspects. Brought home a turkey drumstick last weekend and her eyes nearly popped out. Chicken frames and roo tail are next on our list to try.