Whelping 'oddities'

woody2shoes

Hi, :)

A friend of mine recently told me about a couple of unusual experiences he'd had during the course of years of breeding. He was at a loss to explain them to me -

1) a perfectly healthy pup born inside two amniotic sacs

2) two pups, different colours, both attached to the one placenta by separate umbilical cords, and in individual sacs

Has anyone else come across both/either of these or, alternatively, have you had other whelping 'oddities'?

w2s

Yes we have had number two a few times now. It appears to run in the lines I have bred on with. Actually I look forward to seeing it when I do use that lineage.

Our first lot of twins have turned out to be very very nice dogs (a dog and bitch), both class in Specialty winners. They were the smallest in their litter, but both have grown to be just over the middle height for our breed.

The second ones have grown to be large substantial dogs, again a dog and a bitch.

In our case the are all coloured the same. :D

Edited for spelling - naughty me........should of checked that before :rofl:

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

Had two of the first in my November 2009 litter of 9 Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Apparently it is a sign of a fairly late puppy demise and absorption so potentially my litter could have been 11. :shrug:

2) two pups, different colours, both attached to the one placenta by separate umbilical cords, and in individual sacs

The same as in humans, they are 'twins' in the sense that they are born at the same time... the same as fraternal (non-identical) twins, sometimes the placentas fuse, sometimes they don't.

All it means is that the embryos implanted close together in the uterine wall and as the placentas grew larger, they fused. This happened with my human twins, they started off very separate and by the end it was just one massive placenta, but the babies were obviously in separate amniotic sacs.

In our case the are all coloured the same. :laugh:

Really ?? From your website pictures I thought you had some grey / tan rotties :laugh:

And yes we do have those to, but don't tell anyone........ :(:laugh:

We love our Mud Monsters!!!

Edited by Stolzseinrotts

• 2 weeks later...

The same as in humans, they are 'twins' in the sense that they are born at the same time... the same as fraternal (non-identical) twins, sometimes the placentas fuse, sometimes they don't.

All it means is that the embryos implanted close together in the uterine wall and as the placentas grew larger, they fused. This happened with my human twins, they started off very separate and by the end it was just one massive placenta, but the babies were obviously in separate amniotic sacs.

Thanks Ashanali, I knew there had to be an explanation for this!

Had two of the first in my November 2009 litter of 9 Staffordshire Bull Terriers. Apparently it is a sign of a fairly late puppy demise and absorption so potentially my litter could have been 11.

The pup in this instance was by far the smallest which is probably consistent with what you're saying ellz.