Has Anyone Used K9natural Freeze Dried Food?

Katdogs

Our local pet food place has a new product, and the owner of the shop says his dogs love it.

I'm not very good at doing searches on DOL :laugh:

It's called K9 Natural and it's from New Zealand, it's freeze-dried. Packet says it is 85% meat bone and blood, and 15% fruit, vegies, eggs, liver, heart, kidney, tripe and garlic. No additives or preservatives, no wheat, rice, grains, soy, cereals or gluten.

Seems pricey for my big dogs but a good backup to have in the cupboard when I haven't defrosted the chicken pieces or have run out of tuna.

Has anyone else here tried it? Or can point me to a discussion about it?

I won a 500g pack (makes approx. 2kg) and a 4kg pack (makes approx. 16kg) last weekend. Have given it to the dogs (3 Border Terriers and a smooth Collie) twice and it's gone down well, although I wont be making a real judgement on it yet because 2 meals isn't enough to tell IMO. Was interesting though as the Collie girl can be a bit picky and while she is a good eater, she usually takes her time and eats the kibble or bones etc rather carefully/slowly but she went straight for this stuff :cry:

And the Borders aren't usually fussy so they dove straight in lol.

I am certainly interested to see how they come up after being fed on it for the next few weeks :laugh: Have never had a problem with them on Eagle Pack but it's nice to have options and the trend does seem to be natural feeding... But the price is a little prohibitive atm :rolleyes: The 4kg box supposedly feeds a 5kg dog around 320 meals which is okay but for larger dogs, or those with multiple dogs..... you'd need a fair bit of spare cash!!!

I've been using it for about 2 months I think its been now.

Im really happy with the results - Riley was a bit of a picky eater and would go some nights without eating anything, unless he got some of our leftovers.

Without fail, every night the K9 Natural goes down he gulps it all up. He loves it.

No more stinky farts and decent poo's as well!

Edited to add - I started off with a few of the 500g packs to see how it went, but now we're on the 4kg box. It says on the box for a 20kg dog it will last 80 meals, but Im not sure about that. I've actually been keeping a track of how many meals I've got out of it. I reckon Im about half way through the box, and so far have made 24 meals.

Edited by wagsalot

Tried the 500g pack - after coming to terms with the price! - dogs loved it, but honestly, it's the most un-natural 'natural' dog food I've seen!! Very hard to re-constitute, just seems to float on top of the water even when I used warm water. Smelt really lamby (not bad) - pack seemed to be mainly made up of powder with a few lumps thrown in.

I probably wouldn't use it again (unless I won a bag like you, SpikesPuppy!), but can see how handy it would be when travelling if nothing else. Much prefer to toss the terriers a chicken wing or a lamb neck each!

I use warm water, I have even broken the pellets up, no go, it simply floats LOL

This morning I actually forgot about it whilst I was doing something else and 45 mins later still floating on the water.

Same here. I tried using warm water and broke up the lumps and it mixed with the water but didn't seem to absorb it at all. Dogs loved it though. Because of the price, I only keep it for 'emergency' use.

Ok thats odd :thumbsup:

When mine did that at first I emailed the company and asked about it as I was just crushing the pellets up with a fork. She told me if doesn't matter if the pellets stay whole, but to try warm water. So I did that and mine was ok.

Also, Ill make enough for 3 meals in a container and I've found once you put it in the fridge it kind of sets overnight, but you give it a stir then its super mushy again :o

Edited by wagsalot

Ok thats odd :thumbsup:

When mine did that at first I emailed the company and asked about it as I was just crushing the pellets up with a fork. She told me if doesn't matter if the pellets stay whole, but to try warm water. So I did that and mine was ok.

Also, Ill make enough for 3 meals in a container and I've found once you put it in the fridge it kind of sets overnight, but you give it a stir then its super mushy again :o

Maybe I didn't have the water warm enough.

Not sure if it helps but this is what mine looks like after soaking for approx 10 minutes - the bullets have absorbed the water. I continued to let it soak for about another 5-10 mins after that

post-4872-1277019801_thumb.jpg

Edited by wagsalot

Not sure if it helps but this is what mine looks like after soaking for approx 10 minutes - the bullets have absorbed the water. I continued to let it soak for about another 5-10 mins after that

Thanks for posting a photo.

Doesn't look a lot different but were the 'bullets' soft? Mine were still quite hard.

They aren't completely soft, but aren't anywhere near as hard as they are prior to soaking.

They are all mushy on the outside and a bit harder in the middle.

Its hard to explain :laugh:

Edited by wagsalot

They aren't completely soft, but aren't anywhere near as hard as they are prior to soaking.

No, actually I know what you mean. I guess I expected the dry food to soak up the water and become soft like fresh food.

No, actually I know what you mean. I guess I expected the dry food to soak up the water and become soft like fresh food.

My thoughts too, but the fact that it stays so dry has meant that I won't be making it a part of the diet here.

Can anyone tell me what it's worth for the freeze dried stuff?

I'm going away for about 10 days with the two dogs and taking their vegie mush and other stuff with me is not that easy an option given I'll only have an esky with me.

What's the 500 g pack worth and how many feeds will it make for a 20 kg dog?