Puppy And The Dishwasher

whiskedaway

Every time I open my dishwasher, whether clean or dirty, my sibe puppy insists on either licking the dishes (if it's dirty) or the dishwasher itself (if it's clean). I cannot work out why she does it, and it's not just my dishwasher because she licked my OH's mother's dishwasher as well.

She's scared of the dishwasher when it's on (too noisy, I think, she's also like that with the washing machine, microwave and heater) but I just can't get her to stop licking the dishwasher.

Any suggestions?

my two beagles get in and lick everything too. not scared of it cos its quiet though. I just keep reinforcing *off* in a stern voice and know one day it will sink in. Being beagles, with the smell of food in the dishwasher though, Im not sure!!!!

Just ignore the whole situation, don't even look at the puppy when it's being scared, just act as though there is nothing wrong and continue what you're doing. People usually are the problem and they reinforce the fear but baby talking the puppy or patting them and trying to reassure them somehow during these moments, when it's best to act as though there is nothing scary there at all.

Once out of the fear period and the pup is still behaving lke this you could use clicker training to help your pup get used to it.

Edited by sas

Thank God - I thought Kuma was the only boofhead out there that licked dishwashers...

Every time we open it, he's in for the lick. Not particularly hygienic!

We are using the "leave it" command every time, like jacquilee81, we hope it will sink in one day!

Katie and my two JRT's lick the dishwasher too....and even the three cats join in sometimes.

makes me wonder if I need a dishwasher at all???

I could just pop the dirty dished on the floor or in the cupboard, open the doors and let them do the work :laugh:

James prefers to lick the OUTSIDE of the dishwasher. And the fridge. The puppy likes whitegoods.

When he was younger he simply was kept busy outside the kitchen when the dishwasher was being unpacked, primarily to keep him out of the open cupboards. Anyway to just keep her out of the way? J. has the idea now and rarely goes into the kitchen whilst dishes are being unpacked.