Pepper Just Diagnosed With Kidney Disease

Whether or not medication is required would depend on the grade of kidney disease - based on serial blood pressure measurements and measurement of the BUN and creatinine. I'd also ensure a urinalysis was done, a culture and sensitivity is unlikely to add new information but an in house dipstick and USG is something that I would do along with the bloods (ideally collected at the same time).

Thanks for adding your input and experience Rappie. Pepper's creatinine is 0.19, I'm not sure what BUN means, would it be in the test results?

We'll be doing fortnightly urine tests, pretty sure it's the dipstick one, is that what you mean by urinalysis? you'll have to tell me what USG is. In the last sentence, do you mean that you think Pepper should have blood taken each time she has the urine test done?

The BUN is listed as 'urea' in your results. The USG is the urine specific gravity, or the concentration of the urine. In kidney failure this is lower than normal. It is not necessary to collect blood every time a urine sample is done, it is just helpful is at some point we can compare the urine and blood results collected at the same time (or within a few hours of each other). The reason for doing this is that the urea and creatinine can go up for reasons that are not kidney disease. If we had these two numbers elevated with very concentrated urine, then the kidneys are still working ok. If we have the urea and creatinine elevated with a low concentration we are more likely to have kidney disease. It's one of those things that is nice to do, but is not always possible :mad However, regular monitoring as you are doing is just as important.

Thanks Rappie ;)

These are the results from Pepper's blood test that were outside of the normal range

The USG (look at me learning new medical terms) was extremely dilute.

Urea 30.6 (normal range 2.5-10.0)

Creatin 0.19 (normal range 0.05-0.15)

Glucose, serum 1.7 (normal range 3.3-6.8)

CA:P ratio 1.1 (normal range 1.2-3.0)

Just out of interest, if you were Pepper's vet and saw these particular results, would you suggest or prescribe anything different to what I'm currently doing?

My girl had chronic kidney failure, which was contributed by conitinuous NSAIDS for arthritis, and was also on a very restricted diet...I actually rang Dr Bruce's Clinic (Vet's All Natural) and they gave me some really good advice on what Molly should and shouldn't eat....I would suggest some thorough research before putting her on any diet....as I am sure you have been informed your dog must only eat what the kidneys can filter easily to reduce the strain...

good luck

MM

Whether I did anything different would depend on whether she was a sick dog with kidney disease or not. Dogs that are 'well' and have kidney disease are the ones that I would be happy starting on conservative treatment and monitoring which is what has been happening so far. A sick dog with recently discovered kidney disease might go on IV fluids to try to lower the urea and creatinine. In the meantime, I do recommend feeding a prescription renal diet - however, it is much more important that a dog (or cat) eats regardless of the food. It is worth perservering to find one that they like, or pursuing home cooked but none of the options are useful if they refuse them! Although kidney diets have restricted protein levels, it is important that the protein is of high 'quality' (biological value) so that the body can use it as much as possible to maintain muscle mass etc but there is not so much that the kidneys struggle to deal with it.

I like to measure blood pressure as part of my regular monitoring and also keep track of any protein in the urine. Persistent increases in either of these would suggest we should consider medication. If protein is in the urine, then I would run further tests on the urine to quantify it. If there is any indication of infection in the urine, then I would culture it (or treat on suspicion). If the phosphate levels increase, then we add phosphate binders but initially I would see how you go on the kidney diet - they are phosphorus restricted and that can sometimes be enough to get things back in normal range.

It's hard to get too excited about the low blood glucose without knowing more about the samples. If we don't send blood in a specific tube to the lab and they measure it from one of the other routine tubes it will often read erroneously low. If it was a true reading then I would monitor that too.

Edited by Rappie

Thanks Missmoo, I think the dose of Previcox may have been what tipped Pepper over the edge as well. Yes, I'm researching everything I can get my hands on to make sure that Pepper has the right foods for her condition. She happily ate the Hills k/d with her TT roll last night, and I've just had the calcium/vit D3 powder delivered, so will start that tonight as well.

Thank you Rappie, I really appreciate you taking the time to give your opinion ;)

Thanks spottychick, will pass on the hugs tonight. I think both Pepper and Banshee (pancreatitis) are feeling a bit better, they were both full of kisses and being a bit silly this morning :D

Edited by yellowgirl

The recipe I was thinking is what is posted on the first page.. I know it sounds a bit weird with the bread etc but it is all balanced and researched...it all depends if you want to home cook or not.

Good luck.. I'm glad they are both feeling much better :)