Pet Sitters

GSD FAN

Didn't you start a thread the other day about pet sitting with your own GSD?

I use house sitters as I don't like to kennel all my pets. I only ever use people who will be here a lot and don't bring their own pets.

Edited by Clyde

yes that was me. i was hoping to house sit for free so i could take my dog but there doesnt seem to be many people that would like that. i have just started working as a pet sitter and we offer overnight stays in the pets home for a fee. just wondering if many people would pay for this if they could get people to do it for free

I think most people wouldn't pay for a stranger to look after their dogs if they could get someone they knew to do it for free.

I would rather trust Zero to one of my not-so-dog-savy friends (not that it would ever come to that) rather than hand his care over to someone I didn't know.

It sounds weird to me.... free house sitting :laugh:

Why don't you sus out the House Sitting websites and register your details on there. You'd have better luck targeting people who aren't as obsessed with their dogs as us DOL'ers are. People like 'us' don't usually leave pets with randoms, whether they're in our homes or not.

thanks clyde. i have actually registered with a house sitting agency but no luck there. maybe its just not meant to be. i think i will just look at pet friendly rentals. that's hard enough.

hi teebs. nice to meet someone in the field. i havent actually started my pet sitting job yet as ive just finished my pet first aid training. now i am waiting for the jobs to come in as i am working for a company, not for myself. it's be great to hear how you like what you do and any advice.

I have done it for friends but they looked at it as I was house sitting (as they lived in a pretty flash house then) and I had to feed the cats and dog as part of the house sitting. I was paid to live in their house (even when they would go away for months on end) but that doesn't seem to be the done thing anymore. I was listening to a chat show on the radio a few months back and - especially for anything over a week - it seems to be done more as a 'you look after my pets, I will give you a roof over your head' sort of deal.

I wouldn't like to go stay in a strangers house, but thats just me, and I wouldn't like someone I didn't know looking after my pets.

You will get jobs though, there are plenty of people out there after that sort of thing.