Help!

draxdel

Hi guys, I grow up with bull terriers and recently brought a Pedigree English bull terrier puppy he is perfect. His teeth are all there and are good except for one lower can which is inverted up into the roof of his mouth beside his upper canine (only just touching). Should I be concerned as he is only 8 and half weeks old and still got his puppy teeth?? what should i do ???? It is driving me nuts

Welcome ;)

What did the breeder say? The vet didn't notice anything when you took him for his first vet check? If not, I would suggest making an appointment . The quicker he is checked , the quicker you know what needs to be done, I guess. :eek:

I had a look at his jaw and teeth about 5 days ago when i picked him up and all was fine. Only notice this last night so I rang the breeder and he said to keep a eye on it but not to be to concerned as these are puppy teeth. Going to try and get him into the vet tommorow to have a look. He is part of the family now and my son loves him so if it is going to cost me I am going to have to pay. Just wondering what other people thought of this. cheers

Many Bull Terriers and Miniatures have instanding canines, most times they do not cause trouble but if i do have a puppy with them if you get the vet to remove them they stand a better chance of their second lot to come through easier, i have now done this with 2 puppies and they have teethed correctly

Should I be concerned as he is only 8 and half weeks old and still got his puppy teeth??

He won't lose his puppy teeth until he's 3 or 4 months old so nothing to worry about there.

No experience with Bull Terriers, but with Staffords if the baby canines are converging there's not a lot of hope for the adult ones to be correct - but as nobul (above) has experience with BTs I'd go with that advice :rofl:

Edited by Sandra777

Forget about going to the vet. The baby canines will be have fallen out anywhere from 3/4/5 months and they aren't going to cause any issues. The head will be growing and the canines become smaller in comparison to the head size. You'd just be wasting your money at the vet and if you get one of those over zealous vets who have no idea about Bull Breeds and how their heads develop, you'll subject a pup to a GA and removal of the canines for no reason.

What you need to do is stay in touch with the breeder and either have them look at the pup as they adult canines come through, or someone that they trust and knows what they are looking at.

They bottom canines may come through and slot correctly into place, they may not. Inverted canines usually do not cause any issues, the only time they are a problem, is if they are digging into the roof of the mouth, in which case they are ground down to shorten them and relieve any discomfort.

ETA: baby canines are often removed if the adults are beginning to emerge and the babies have not yet fallen out. Retained baby canines can have an impact on the where the adult teeth end up.

Edited by SBT123

Thanks SBT, from all the souce I have read over the last week I pretty sure you are correct. I have found out that EBT jaws grow at a different rate which commonly causes this. I had him check at my vet just around the corner (for free) and she said the exact same thing, the breeder also said the same thing and to just watch as his adult teeth come though. There is a New tool which they can push inverted out into the correct place now if you catch it early enough but it cost about 2k to do. Thanks guys