Pushy Behaviour

I'm not really sure why I'm starting this thread or what I expect to get out of it. I guess I've just been thinking about pushy behaviour in dogs and the options for handling it and what is necessary and what isn't. Having one dog that kind of sees everything as an opportunity to swing things his way and one dog that is pretty laid back it occurs to me that they both have their pushy behaviours and I deal with them quite differently. I deal with different kinds of pushy behaviours differently, and I take into account a lot of things that may contribute to the behaviour being expressed.

What do you consider pushy behaviour, how do you handle it, and why?

All of my dogs are pushy, And Rex was as well.

They demand stuff and they are rude. Some more then the others. I put it down to dominance, or sometimes passive dominance.

In a way I like it but couple of my dogs are so bloody rude that its hard to belive.

Love them anyway!

Interesting - I've actually been encouraging Zig to be more pushy/rude of late. It only takes a look to put him back in his box, so to speak, but he's become a lot more confident in training. He was an incredibly pushy pup and teen who was rather exhausting but I think I know how to handle it better now and to my advantage.

What would you define as pushy? I find Bitty very “pushy” but incredibly sweet! She will try anything under the sun but when I call her out on it she sits, gives me that adorable Bitty smile and is like “Aww Ma! I’m just a puppy! Can you blame me?” followed by much bouncing and many puppy kisses. I don’t discourage it! I enjoy it as she obeys the core family code of conduct!

Bubby is not pushy but what Bubby wants, Bubby gets. Bubby is the Bubfather!

Hey Bub - your two are JUST gorgeous !! They have the cutest names !

Can I ask how old your two are ??

I have two nearly six month old Lab puppies (not from the same litter though) and life has been a challenge but so rewarding :laugh:

I know it has been done too death in these forums ( I joined Dol forums about a month after the puppies came home at 8 weeks) so was a little naive when buying two puupies the same age... BUT I would really love to hear how you coped with two and any advice you could give me on training / "bonding" etc would be greatly appreciated - if you had a little time to reply...

They have been very good so far - considering how clueless we were re buying two puppies - and things have been going well but we are heading into the dreaded adolesence time so I guess paw warned is paw armed :cry:

Thank you in advance...

DDL

OMG Corvus - so so sorry for hi jacking - talk about pushy behaviour by me :cry:

My sincere apologies - I just went off on a tangent when I saw bub's post...

For the record - my Tippi is the bossy / pushy one and tries it on all the time - but is quite happy to toe the line when she knows she has to...She likes to test the boundaries...

Tango is a lot less pushy and tends to follw Tippi's lead - but he has always been a very good dog - never really mouthed / been cheeky so as a result tends to get in trouble alot less...... so my training with him has been very different to Tippi's.... It is almost like he has learnt from her what NOT to do !!

Pushy behaviour towards me is barking (Zoe and Kaos) - if they think I am taking too long to do something with them or when waiting in line at agility :cry: Sometimes Kaos will jump on me as pushy behaviour too. I just ignore it - they are still quieter than a lot of dogs at agility and nowhere near the levels you see in flyball :laugh:

Diesel can be pushy about coming in the door to the house. If he tries to barge in when I don't want him to, I just close the door in his face and make him wait til he is polite about it.

I would say pushy towards you or other people rather than other dogs.

What I think of as pushy behaviour is demanding, controlling behaviour like sharply nudging, pawing, nipping, jumping the gun just to see if they can snatch what they want, barking at you, jumping up and that kind of thing. Just as examples.

I've mostly got the attitude that they can be as pushy and demanding as they like but if they actually want something they will need to do what they are asked and be calm and well-mannered. Mostly. Erik will honestly try anything. Some things he dreams up are wildly obnoxious. I love that he will try all sorts of outrageously rude things, but I have to be careful sometimes. It's easy to accidentally reward him if I'm not paying attention. I discovered this week that passive handling errors can result in accidentally rewarding things you would never in a million years deliberately reward. :mad I'll say this for pushy, opportunistic dogs: they teach you to pay attention and act fast!

Charlie is not a pushy dog at all and because of that, whatever Charlie wants, Charlie gets. But, he he knows he isn't allow to jump on the bed or use the stairs, so he will let out a bark to let us know that he is stuck or wants to go up or down.

Now that Emmy has settled down... we realise that she's not pushy at all, although, if you push her into doing something she doesn't want to do.. she will push back. But, depending on the situations, it mostly comes down to deaf ears. Only time when she can be pushy is when someone is eating, she will jump on the person hoping to get some. But, we just gently push her off and ignore.

Honey can be very pushy.

She is very prone to nudging for pats, will put a paw on you for pats and will occasionally jump on the couch- where she is NOT allowed.

I usually ignore or tell her to get down. She is not dominant about it and it doesnt bug me too much.

She is such a sweetheart and I feel that she mostly does it out of excitement and happiness. Which is nice to see. :mad

Bitty will paw me, jump on my lap and if I am still ignoring her she will maul my entire face with licks!

Just this morning she put two dirty paw prints all over my tracksuit!

I really don’t mind her silliness because we are never “at war” with each other. To me she just sort of crashes through life with a bit too much optimism and I reign her in gently when I need to. Like one time she made a beeline for a man at the dog park, ready to mob him (she REALLY loves men!) but I called her and she sprinted back straight away.

I find it interesting that she is incredibly pushy but ever so obedient whereas Bubby is a gentle placid soul but is probably more stubborn.

My Stella is very pushy. If she wants to be patted, she will come and sit next to you on the sofa and paw at you. She will then get comfortable and enjoy the pats. If you stop, she paws at you. She also has a habit of putting her head underneath your hand and lifting your hand up so you can involuntarily pat her. If I lock her outside for whatever reason, she will push the plastic doggy door against the glass door repeatedly and loudly until you let her in. Also, around 4pm, she will sit at my feet, wagging her tail, licking her lips and squirming, as this is her usual dinner time. Some of these behaviours are cute but I find them mostly annoying and demanding and I am looking forward to seeing a behaviourist in Aug to get some ideas as to how to rectify these issues.

Bitty will paw me, jump on my lap and if I am still ignoring her she will maul my entire face with licks!

I really don’t mind her silliness because we are never “at war” with each other. To me she just sort of crashes through life with a bit too much optimism and I reign her in gently when I need to. Like one time she made a beeline for a man at the dog park, ready to mob him (she REALLY loves men!) but I called her and she sprinted back straight away.

I find it interesting that she is incredibly pushy but ever so obedient whereas Bubby is a gentle placid soul but is probably more stubborn.

Hi bub - me being pushy again..

I did reply to your lovely mesage so hope you received it...

Having a bit of trouble on the old computer today ! Might be because i am supposed to be working :mad

Having a bit of trouble on the old computer today ! Might be because i am supposed to be working :mad

I did get your message! Heheh and I should be working as well! :mad

Now it is mandatory that you MUST post a piccie of your babies up! You can't have lab puppies and not share!

What would you define as pushy? I find Bitty very “pushy” but incredibly sweet! She will try anything under the sun but when I call her out on it she sits, gives me that adorable Bitty smile and is like “Aww Ma! I’m just a puppy! Can you blame me?” followed by much bouncing and many puppy kisses. I don’t discourage it! I enjoy it as she obeys the core family code of conduct!

Bubby is not pushy but what Bubby wants, Bubby gets. Bubby is the Bubfather!

:mad :mad Bubfather :mad I love your Bubby :)

I did get your message! Heheh and I should be working as well! :mad

Now it is mandatory that you MUST post a piccie of your babies up! You can't have lab puppies and not share!

ok will post a few - not trying to highjack though - feel a bit bad....

post-35043-1278048756_thumb.jpg

Yes, I have a pushy dog. She will have lots of tricks to try and get me off the computer. She will attempt to climb on me to make me stand up, ... if I sit again, she climbs over and over... but I try to be firm and fight her off to the best of my ability. To her, anythings worth a try.

If she doesn't succeed with getting me up off a chair with her own body pushing, she will go and steal something from around the house, and run back and show me. This is all done with much body wiggling and tap dancing on her part. It kind of makes me smile as she is very cheeky, but other times she can be a pain. :mad

She will at times be rude with trying to maul loved visitors with her affection. She doesn't quite realise that not everyone wants pash rash from her.

I'm sure she tries to get through doors first etc... sometimes it happens, sometimes not. She is very persistent though. Obviously it has worked in her favour in the past. She likes to push me hard out of the corner of the kitchen when I'm making toast. I have to say "EXCUSE ME"!!!!!!!!! :mad

That's fine, I don't mind the Lab talk. :mad

Erik is a master at ambushes. It annoys the crap out of me because it's so damn hard to beat! He'll be waiting in a sit and he's not meant to move his feet at all, and he won't... until the food is about 1cm from his mouth and then he jumps up and grabs it. Argh! And he'll snatch treats on their way to Kivi's mouth at the last moment. I never see him coming! I call him the landshark. He'll also spring one on me when I've got one of his toys. He bloody knows that lying down is the best way to get a toy, but that doesn't stop him from suddenly jumping up and snatching just when you least expect it. Because he always gets me when I'm not ready for him he always gets rewarded for it. Grr. We were doing a sit-stay exercise today and while Erik is bouncing up or shuffling or jumping at the last moment for his treats, Kivi is in a sit-stay and hasn't moved a muscle the whole time. I eventually notice him and pop him a treat. He is incredibly patient. Erik is very impatient. :mad