Rehoming A Dog

goldenluv

A pedigreed dog will find a home pretty easily I would think? You can contact Troy about putting her in the "Mature Dogs" or "Rescue" classifieds.

Has she had any training? For example does she know "sit" and walk well on a leash? These are often big bonuses for people.

My suggestion is to write a nice profile for her and then post in the rescue section so that one of the rescuers can put her on petrescue.com.au. Also ask a few rescuers who live in your area to put her on their "Private Rehoming" pages. Petresceu.com.au has some great advice for writing profiles that get noticed (eg focus on what kind of family she would suit and what she can offer an owner ie not only a list of "demands" from the dogs pov).

thank you for your help, this is why I came here new someone would now what to do. thanks again for the help

lol understand what you mean about the demands now that i have looked at my list

I can see where it's possible to be allergic to one dog and not another... I am allergic to most cats, but there has been the occasional one that I have had no reaction to. It happens...

My advice would be to check out the Rescue forums here, and contact a few rescues near to you - maybe they can help, as they do rehomings all the time of their own rescues...

Roughly where in NSW are you situated? We may be able to direct you to the rescues near you...

T.

Advertise as suggested or breed rescue.

Always ask a token fee. If you put no value on the dog some idiot may be tempted by a freebie. If the home does not work out they will come back to you if you offer a refund. Freebie not working out can end up in pound & euthanised.

If you find the right home this will not happen.

Ask relevant questions when you get an enquiry & if you think the home is good suggest you do a home visit with the dog 1st.

Less stress for the dog if you do 1 visit for a short time, at least an hour. Then take the dog home & tell them they can have her in a few days. This way the dog is not going into a completely strange place & it gives you a chance to check all is as portrayed over the phone. Send dog to new home with an old jumper or t shirt you have worn & some familiar things, toys, bedding etc. Helps settling a little.

I have done this with the only 2 young adult dogs I have ever rehomed. Both lovely people, all was perfect & they did keep in contact, 1 visited me twice & let me know all was well.

If it had not been satisfactory I would have just said sorry this is not going to work out for the dog.

Good luck in finding a nice home, 3 moves is enough for a dog for sure.

Advertise as suggested or breed rescue.

Always ask a token fee. If you put no value on the dog some idiot may be tempted by a freebie. If the home does not work out they will come back to you if you offer a refund. Freebie not working out can end up in pound & euthanised.

If you find the right home this will not happen.

Ask relevant questions when you get an enquiry & if you think the home is good suggest you do a home visit with the dog 1st.

Less stress for the dog if you do 1 visit for a short time, at least an hour. Then take the dog home & tell them they can have her in a few days. This way the dog is not going into a completely strange place & it gives you a chance to check all is as portrayed over the phone. Send dog to new home with an old jumper or t shirt you have worn & some familiar things, toys, bedding etc. Helps settling a little.

I have done this with the only 2 young adult dogs I have ever rehomed. Both lovely people, all was perfect & they did keep in contact, 1 visited me twice & let me know all was well.

If it had not been satisfactory I would have just said sorry this is not going to work out for the dog.

Good luck in finding a nice home, 3 moves is enough for a dog for sure.

Thank you that sounds great going to the new home for the first vist, we where going to do a home inspection but the visting sounds like a good idea too

she has a big squishy bed that she loves that we are sending with her too

lol, I do not have a prob with saying no to someone if I do not think its going to be the best for our girl.

thank you againg for your help

Regarding allergies to one dog and not another... I am allergic to dog saliva. However, it can differ from one dog to another, and what I believe to be the reason for this is different acid levels in their saliva. I think it is the acid content that sets off my eczema.

I am definitely more allergic to my bitch's saliva than my dog's.

Regarding allergies to one dog and not another... I am allergic to dog saliva. However, it can differ from one dog to another, and what I believe to be the reason for this is different acid levels in their saliva. I think it is the acid content that sets off my eczema.

I am definitely more allergic to my bitch's saliva than my dog's.

that is facanating and it makes sense too, i learn something new every day, ty.

eta could the food fed to a dog make a difference to the acidity levels?

Edited by Jaxx'sBuddy