Canon Question...

redangel

I had some playtime with my friends canon...a d50. My camera is a d90 Nikon.

I noticed her pre flash is the same as the unit flash- my Nikon has a seperate preflash. (Does that make sense?)

Anyway I found it 'strobed' which I found annoying, and makes a crackly (like an electrical short) noise...is that normal????? It is her first canon camera.

Yes - mine ones have done the weird crackly/clicky sound when the red light thing did the pre flash stuff (if that makes sense). Though very disappointed in my apparently fixed 50D that has the exact same focus issues that it had before the warranty 'repair'.

Bet when they checked the repairs they didnt put the images on a computer (they look fine through the view finder when taken look fine on the screen on the back even at the full zoom and end up out of focus and crap once downlaoded onto the computer - 2 different computers too). But then I seemed to have ended up with a dud camera for what I need it for - its fine for posed still images of even just one horse close up just not moving horses taken at around 120-130mm on the zoom.

Anyway yes it sounds a normal if weird thing for it to do as long as the flash fires and takes the pic fine.

Yes - mine ones have done the weird crackly/clicky sound when the red light thing did the pre flash stuff (if that makes sense). Though very disappointed in my apparently fixed 50D that has the exact same focus issues that it had before the warranty 'repair'.

Bet when they checked the repairs they didnt put the images on a computer (they look fine through the view finder when taken look fine on the screen on the back even at the full zoom and end up out of focus and crap once downlaoded onto the computer - 2 different computers too). But then I seemed to have ended up with a dud camera for what I need it for - its fine for posed still images of even just one horse close up just not moving horses taken at around 120-130mm on the zoom.

Anyway yes it sounds a normal if weird thing for it to do as long as the flash fires and takes the pic fine.

What focus issue were you having- I found getting a good focus on her camera in auto very frustrating= ok in manual though. I put it down to being a nikon owner!

Just slightly out as if its focusing a metre ahead of where it should (ie closer to the camera) be but some photos are ok usually the ones quite close with little zoom used - only noticed that as a horse was on the edge of several frames and it was in focus but the main subject was not and the horse on the edge was not moving into frame just in the same spot. Thats in Landscape - the portrait images are usually OK. Got sent away and returned within two weeks apparently adjusted and fixed - its OK on still single shots but not on the continuous autofocus of a moving object BUT its only obvious once the photos are on the computer. Looks fine when taken looks fine on the sceen on the back even zoomed right in but horrible on the computer. Someone new to cameras may think its them and not worry about numerous shots not working but I can see clearly the camera is underperforming and thats no good when Im trying to photograph racing and equestrian (no 'do over' opportunities).

40D last week I have about 10 discards with the 50D this week I stopped counting at 60 discards. Average on a low light difficult conditions day is perhaps around 25-30 discards at most with the 40D. It looks like camera shake but it isnt and no amount of micro adjusting to lens works either (I did this for the lenses and the single shot for that was fine but once in location the photos were hit and miss).

Its going back again via a camera shop to try and get it sorted as Im not happy about paying good money for a dud camera that I cannot use for the purpose it was bought for.

Well I hope you get a good hearing. I am not a fan of the placement of the controls of the canon, I am happy with my nikons layout. I found focus frustrating on the 50d and I can only sympathise when youve spent the cash and not getting the function you require.

Sounds sucky :) I hope you get it sorted out. The 50D never appealed to me so I have very limited time with it and can't offer any suggestions but there are 1000s of happy owners out there so it really shouldn't be causing you problems. Hopefully Canon can get you sorted - or you can sell it and buy something that works! :laugh:

sounds like a new body might be in order - hope you can get it sorted out, but maybe a good option if you are serious on the sports front on a pro level would be the 1D, which is made for that sort of thing, the 50D is still a consumer level body

1D - if I win lotto (however there are maybe two photographers in my sports that use 1D level cameras the rest are the 40D 7D type level including those who do it full time ... I need it to be guaranteed to last longer than 3yrs before repair if I spent $10,000 on a camera but they get treated harshly being out in 42 degree heats days on end, dust, rain, cold, etc).

If it doesnt get sorted this time I'll probably have to sell it and get a 7D sooner than planned BUT wont be happy that within the warranty period the company wont sort it out (ie if the old 'focus is within parameters' phrase gets used).

I would suggest anyone with a camera that seems to have focus issues try to borrow another that someone is getting good shots on and try the same shots on the same settings to see if it could be the camera before thinking its just them.

If you're seriously considering a 1D series, and they aren't for everyone, there are great deals on the 1D series used - I'm seeing oh so tempting prices on the 1DIII and if you go to the 1DII series which are FANTASTIC cameras oh man, you can pick them up for a song! But even new I didn't spend 10Gs on my 1DIII here in Australia and the 1DIV isn't that high either :)

The 1D series cameras will POOP all over the xxD and xD series for lasting a long time and being awesome in the worst conditions you can throw at a camera. That's what you are paying for and what they are built for. Sometimes I think the guys that treat them the worst have them last the longest! I adore my 1D :D (and am actually trying to convince myself I don't need another one...)

The 7D is a really nice camera, but hopefully your 50D will get sorted out properly and fast - at the very least so you can sell it with a clear conscience and buy a new body!