Dog Throws Up Any Types Of Bones?

Indi (20 month old beagle x cocker spaniel) has always been bad with bones, especially when she was a pup. She'd eat the bone and then throw it all up a few hours later. Whether it be a lamb bone, beef bone ect. We figured out that she absolutely LOVES roo bones and they don't seem up upset her stomach. I don't know why she throws up the other kinds though. Could be it be because of the marrow?

Also, do you have any suggestions for good cuts of raw meat to spoil the pups with occasionally? :D

Indi (20 month old beagle x cocker spaniel) has always been bad with bones, especially when she was a pup. She'd eat the bone and then throw it all up a few hours later. Whether it be a lamb bone, beef bone ect. We figured out that she absolutely LOVES roo bones and they don't seem up upset her stomach. I don't know why she throws up the other kinds though. Could be it be because of the marrow?

Also, do you have any suggestions for good cuts of raw meat to spoil the pups with occasionally? :D

Some dogs don't process marrow well due to the pancreas being unable to support the fat content which makes them throw up usually 6 to 12 hours after eating the bone. Marrow bones in some can also trigger a severe attack of pancreasitis which makes them very ill, vomiting and diahrea and restlesness from abdominal pain. I had a dog years ago that couldn't eat marrow bones which begain with an odd vomit and escalated into severe pancreas attack where he ended up on morphine at the vets once the illness was diagnosed. He was 18 months old when he had the attack, stopped the marrow bones and lived healthily to 15 years old :)

Cheers

Nev

it's normal for a dog to vomit up undigestable bones. If the dog is not eating them on a daily basis get something softer like chicken carcasses/wings or more edible bones like lamb flaps. Conversely a bone they simply play with and you take off them before they eat it like lamb shank or beef spine.

That's why we stopped feeding her other bones. I wonder why a lot of dogs seem to be fine with roo bones though.

The PH of their stomachs needs to be at a certain level to digest bones, if it isnt right then they throw up as they cant digest them. Not sure why the roo is different though, think maybe its because its a lean meat.... other than that I cant think of why it is. My dog has some allergies and is on a diet of roo and sweet potato only, he has not thrown up or had diarrhoa at all so I am guessing he has a food intolerance to beef or chicken.

Edited by Mas1981

Since Grumpy can't digest bones any longer, he gets a bambi ear each night. His teeth are in excellent condition, said the vet when he cleaned them in January. He said one side was pristine and the other was nearly so.

Since Grumpy can't digest bones any longer, he gets a bambi ear each night. His teeth are in excellent condition, said the vet when he cleaned them in January. He said one side was pristine and the other was nearly so.

What is a bambi ear? Is that similar to a lamb or pig ear?

I have the same problem with my girl. She can tolerate Roo but no other type of meet/bone or else she gets the runs something chronic for a minimum of 5 days running :) The only thing with roo is it is a rich meat, so I dont give it daily. She has it only a few times a week.

I am also wondering what a bambi ear is..

Why did the vet clean 'excellent teeth'?

Why did the vet clean 'excellent teeth'?

Not that I have to justify myself to you or that it's any of your business at all, but Grumpy was actually having an operation for something else and the vet checked his teeth at the same time. Is that okay or would you also like to know what the operation was for and how much it cost?