Worming For Dummies

Hi all,

I have a few friends that have all their own ideas on worming,what to use and what not to use.

Can someone please confirm for me.

Can a dog be over medicated for worms.

From what i can tell,they can.Now,is Advocate(used once monthly) plus a Milbemax tablet every 3 months (as i think Advocate does not do heartworm) over medicating a dog or under medicating?Are these 2 products together covering EVERYTHING that needs to be covered?Or is there a 1 stop product that covers EVERYTHING by itself :)

Thanks all.

Edited by PuggaWuggles

Sentinal and interceptor cover both intestinal worms and heart worm (Sentinal also covers fleas).

Recommendation is to dose every month on the same day though you can leave up to 6 weeks between treatments.

If you are using seperate heartworm and intestinal worming treatments then you should be giving heartworm protection monthly (with the majority of treatments) and an intestinal wormer every 3 months (or as required).

There are also spot on treatments that cover heartworm, intestinal worms, fleas and mites. As far as I'm aware Advocate is one of them - though it doesn't cover tapeworm so you will need a seperate tablet for that.

Advocate controls fleas, heartworm and gastrointestinal worms (but not tapeworm).

Thanks all.

So,if Advocate(which is vet recommended as it cover ear mites) does not do Tapeworm,does the Milbemax cover Tapeworm,and if so,is giving Milbemax overdosing on the others that Advocate all ready does?

Or is it ok to give the Advocate spot on monthly,and the milbemax tablets every 3 months?

Thanks

Hi Pugga

We use Advocate monthly and Milbemax 3 monthly for tapeworm on the advise of our vet.

It was the regime they recommended, I then checked with another vet that agreed it covered everything.

How is Wuggles?

Hey BertandSally.

Thats what I was advised as well,but friends of mine are saying that its wrong,too expensive and may over dose.

I looked at the Sentinal,but that does not control ear mites,which was a pretty important thing according to our vet.

Wuggles is really good,he turns 1 year old on Thursday,he is starting to get a bit naughty though,becoming a bit defient and not like being told what to do,i guess it just comes with this age.He lost his best mate a few weeks ago which was sad.

How is Bert and Sally,what ended up happening with Bert's throat problems,did he need surgery?Wuggles had his palet done and his nostrils widened,but he still has alot of trouble breathing in when he gets excited,sounds terrible,and he snores worse than a grown man,but none of it seems to bother him.I will get the Vet to check it all out agin in October when he goes for his check up.

Whatever you do, make sure it covers ear mites!!

My cat caught it off some feral down the road and now all three dogs and two cats got it. It is so hard to get rid of, espcially when you have multiple animals. Whatever I was using clearly didn't cover mites.