Best Before Dates On Kibble

I was just wondering how long a kibble will last after it passes it's best before date.

Does the nutrients start to breadown or something? I know with some dried products made for human consumption, after still good for months after the BB date has passed, but curious to know what effect it will have on Kibble.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a 13kg bag of Kibble that I have not long ago opened, but recently I have decided to increase his Raw and decrease his kibble. And I worked out I will not use it all up before it passes the best before date. So how long do you think I could continue to use it until it is pretty much had it. I guess if it's only a few weeks I might have to continue to feed at the old rate of dry/raw until I'm done with this bag then start buying the smaller bag, even though it makes it more expensive :confused:

I think I may email the manufacturer tonight to find out, but though I might ask in here in case someone has already been there done that.

Thanks.

It is a Best Before and not a Use By so it should be fine.

Thanks.

That's what I thought, but how long after the BB date do you think it can be used for until it's finally old enough IKYWIM weeks, months, several months etc??

Edited by meluchja

I've used food up to 6months out of date/past best by date - however i usually take a good sniff of it to make sure it's still fresh smelling - otherwise it gets dug into the garden.

I've used food up to 6months out of date/past best by date - however i usually take a good sniff of it to make sure it's still fresh smelling - otherwise it gets dug into the garden.

I think my hibiscus will like that idea lol. I worked out to feed the lesser amount of kibble it will be about 3-4 months out of BB date, so I think this should be o.k.

I'm curious to know though what the manufacture says.

O.K well I just received an email back from the manufacturer and get this

Quote "It is best to use our food within 1-2 months from the time you open it. If you have a small dog it would be best to buy the 5 pound or 15 pound bags to insure the freshness of the food. After the date of expiration the food can lose it's freshness and cannot guarantee nutritional value. Please let me know if you have any other questions."

This has blown me away, I'm thinking I may return the bag to get my money back. Not sure. Still deciding, will think about it.

I always buy 18kg or 22kg bags. With only 3 dogs, and two different foods, i takes a good few months to go through all this. I always open the bag, put some in an air tight barrel and then seal the bag back up. I've never had food go off doing this.

it does depend on the preservative the product uses. so if it is on of the ones that use vitamin e or rosemary extract as a preservative then i wouldn't push it as far as one with a chemical number preservative-but then i wouldn't buy one with number preservatives anyway.

also remember that they will always tell you to get rid of it early to cover their rears legally. use an airtight container and i think you'll be fine. you're not opening it four times a day or anything silly anyways, but if it starts to smell stale or different then chuck it- but i kind of doubt that this would happen.