Barking Dogs Grrr!

mutt lover

Hi,

I'm minding my mother's Maltese x Shitz who is a barker. It has diminished with a) turning my back and folding my arms until he is quiet- works well for when he barks as a demand to be patted/played with etc, the reinforcer for being quiet is then patting him, or playing, or letting him inside. (I've just noticed as I write that he doesn't whine anymore for attention) and b) seaking in a softer tone than what they were originally trained in, ie: his compliance with requests has increased since I have made a conscious effort to ask him quietly ....the opposite of what he's been used to with my mother (raised voice then yelling). So, he does seem to think any loud commands are barking. Funny how mum still hasn't worked out that yelling will not increase compliance- never worked with us kid, and it sure hasn't worked for her dog.

Have the dog de barked and the problem is gone.

Why would you have a dog debarked beofre trying other methods such as training?

I don't have a problem with debarking in some cases, but I believe people should at least go through other less invasive options first.

What part of a Maltese x Shih Tzu is a terrier? The trainer lacks some basic dog knowledge just right there.

A barker is a pain to everyone, the idea of teaching the dog to bark on command is sometimes used (on the theory that learning to bark on command includes learning to shut up on command LOL) Brennan's Mum's clicker method is good too. Whatever you do, don't yell at the dog to be quiet - most of the time they assume you're barking too and get louder!

EXACTLY! How annoying for someone to consider themselves a "trainer" when in fact they believe that a maltese is a terrier, a maltese is a spaniel not a frickin terrier! :o

I'm glad the clicker/treat diversion met with success. That was a good suggestion.

So was turning back & ignoring until quiet, if he barks at you for attention.

Also consider if there's any way you can block off his view of some of the things that stimulate barking. Rolls of weed plastic along parts of a fenceline can help that.

Another strategy for when you're inside & your hear the dog barking outside....comes from the trainer who wrote Metro Dog. Keep a couple of big pans (like saucepans), handy. As soon as the dog outside starts to bark, bash the pans with one hell of a noise. That startles the dog...if he barks again, another bash of the pans. (Don't let him see you doing it!)

The dog needs to get the message that his barking causes that hell of a scary noise. And learns to stop barking & thus stop the scary noise from happening. Needless to say,an owner trying this would have to let neighbours know it's a temporary thing. :o

Edited by mita

Have the dog de barked and the problem is gone.

Why would you have a dog debarked beofre trying other methods such as training?

I don't have a problem with debarking in some cases, but I believe people should at least go through other less invasive options first.

:laugh: Agree.

When I had one girl here the first time on debark row (even so far as booking her in). I tried everything first. For me debarking should be last resort, not first.

One thing someone said to me along the line and I forget who. Some people are more offended with a debarked dog than a dog barking as you can tell a dog has been debarked. The bark is muffled like it has a sore throat. For some, that is more annoying.

A friend of mine has had success with the "husher" muzzle. Although, personally, with all of these things (muzzles, bark collars etc), the dog soon learns when the collar is on and off and when it can bark and not. So training behind the scenes is still important.

Worst thing for me, is my dogs bark when I am not there, making training harder.

What part of a Maltese x Shih Tzu is a terrier? The trainer lacks some basic dog knowledge just right there.

A barker is a pain to everyone, the idea of teaching the dog to bark on command is sometimes used (on the theory that learning to bark on command includes learning to shut up on command LOL) Brennan's Mum's clicker method is good too. Whatever you do, don't yell at the dog to be quiet - most of the time they assume you're barking too and get louder!

A Maltese is a terrier breed, trainer said he wasn't a shih tzu cross in his opinion just a maltese and that these dogs are renown for being little yappers was his comment!. His former owner told me he used to bark whenever anyone walked past her place but she just ignored him as she thought he was being such a good little watch dog! :laugh: Don't think a SWF would scare anyone, hopefully as he's only 3 I can train him out of it.

Maltese are a spaniel related to Bichon's they are NOT terriers :laugh: They are in the toy group as well. I have a Maltese and she is not yappy at all - this is because of her temperament and my training. She is 3 years old and whilst she will occasionally bark at neighbours/weird things she is an alarm barker only. I have found that a squirt bottle works well to distract dogs (and cats) from naughty behaviour but the best sort of training is positive - treats and praise for being quiet and not barking.

I'm glad the clicker/treat diversion met with success. That was a good suggestion.

So was turning back & ignoring until quiet, if he barks at you for attention.

Also consider if there's any way you can block off his view of some of the things that stimulate barking. Rolls of weed plastic along parts of a fenceline can help that.

Another strategy for when you're inside & your hear the dog barking outside....comes from the trainer who wrote Metro Dog. Keep a couple of big pans (like saucepans), handy. As soon as the dog outside starts to bark, bash the pans with one hell of a noise. That startles the dog...if he barks again, another bash of the pans. (Don't let him see you doing it!)

The dog needs to get the message that his barking causes that hell of a scary noise. And learns to stop barking & thus stop the scary noise from happening. Needless to say,an owner trying this would have to let neighbours know it's a temporary thing. :laugh:

Putting ideas in my head....of course this will stuff my saucepans!

As temporary as their dogs barking :)

The dog needs to get the message that his barking causes that hell of a scary noise. And learns to stop barking & thus stop the scary noise from happening. Needless to say,an owner trying this would have to let neighbours know it's a temporary thing. :laugh:

Putting ideas in my head....of course this will stuff my saucepans!

As temporary as their dogs barking :o

I should have said that the bashing pans strategy is so the dog will learn to stop starting barking. Not just to stop after he's started.

Which is why...if it works...the use of the bashing noise is only temporary. :laugh: