What Would You Have Done Differently?

Edenishy

Can anyone suggest any great puppy training classes or trainers in the Brisbane area or surrounding areas eg Gold Coast or Sunshine Coast as I am willing to travel to ensure my soon to be puppy gets the best start.

I went to Wagtails at Sumner Park, I wasn't impressed, my friend also went about 6 months before me and had a different trainer who she thought was 'ok'. Maybe try someone else other than this company....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ishy,

I have heard smeone else say that the RSPCA there runs good classes.

You can always ring them up, ask lots of questions, and then ask to come and watch a class :laugh:

After the class maybe you could even ask some of the people if they are happy with it.

That's what I would be doing: looking up places, asking questions, watching, and talking to the people there.

ETA: you could always re-ask this question in the General Thread, or in the training thread. Maybe that will get more replies :)

Edited by raineth

A beagle - whoo hoo.

Definitely want to work on a conditioned recall from the very beginning. I know two people who have beagles who have zero recall and it realy cramps their style - can't let the dog off lead ever, cos beagle gets scent, beagle follows scent, as fast as it can, straight through school yards, across busy roads...

I do know it is possible to train a good recall in a beagle, because I know two other people who have that with their beagle. Most beagles I know, like food a lot, so training is easy but requires persistance and frequent practice (5 seconds to 5 minutes often).

You might also want to investigate a dog sport called "Tracking" which beagles are perfect for.

Getting my first puppy as an adult, ive been reading, researching....getting consumed by the world of canine companions..

never has time gone so slowly while I await the arrival of my puppy in 7ish weeks time.

Anyway, I was thinking, while I prepare..

What would be the one thing you would have done differently upon bringing a puppy (or dog for that matter) into the home?

I would have listened.

I knew everything.

With hindsight I made my life very difficult by not listening to experienced people who knew better.

Now that I know more I listen more.