Labrador Male Desexing

I have been debating in my own mind for a few weeks now whether to get Henry desexed or not. Initially I thought to breed from him but figure it will be more involved than what I originally thought (for the record, I would not 'backyard breed' him...)

What is the best age to get a labrador male puppy desexed? He is currently 33 weeks of age (around 8 months... DOB 30/11/09). I remember reading on the forums quite a fair few months back about growth plates and if desexing too early it can cause some joint issues and the proper growth of his body after being desexed too early.

Both his testes have descended so I think it would be a pretty easy operation for him to have. Our last labrador was desexed with a local vet and would not eat for 2-3 days after the operation so I am a little worried that a similar stressful experience may happen with Henry.

Any advice would be appreciated and welcome - especially from those who have or have not got their labs or puppies desexed. I have been away from this forum for a fair few months now - keep your eyes peeled for some updated photos of Henry - it's about time that I frequent this forum and community more often.

Regards, Shaun (sticks1977)

Desexed asap - our family dog for years suffered from Adanomas (could be adenomas) desexed would have prevented that but for some reason my parents were never advised of this. If he's old enough to recover from being knocked out then Id do it asap - my 11yo dog took a couple of days to completely get over the anesthetic - as long as they drink something and dont get dehyradted they can handle a couple of days wihout food.

If youve been throurgh an operation you'd know how you dont feel all that flash for a day or two afterwards.

You can get him desexed any time now. Its best to do it before he has had a good chance to mark everything and decide its fun! Desexing will also help prevent awful things like prostate cancer at a later age. In regards to him recovering after the operation i would suggest asking your vet to put him on IV fluids during the operation, this helps to flush the anaesthetic out of his system a bit quicker and he will recover much faster. If you want you can also ask for some take home pain relief (if your vet doesnt give it routinely) this can help some dogs bounce back mutch faster aswell! :laugh:

I wouldnt desex any large dog under 12 months of age. Giant breeds and working dogs I would leave a lot longer especially for males.

ts best to do it before he has had a good chance to mark everything and decide its fun!

It has nothing to do with fun or directly linked to a dogs testosterone status. I have 3 dogs in my household, an entire male, a desexed male and an entire bitch. THe entire bitch marks and cocks her leg over other dogs and the boys wee, the desexed male acts like he's entire and didnt cock his leg until well after he weas desexed at about 11 months old. A dogs attitude, mostly genetic, will dictate this and its dominance status. I have 3 very dominant dogs in the house and I know it. But none of them ever dare piss in the house or pull me about to mark wherever they want.

In regards to him recovering after the operation i would suggest asking your vet to put him on IV fluids during the operation, this helps to flush the anaesthetic out of his system a bit quicker and he will recover much faster.

Depends what the vets use. If you're going to pump the dog with enough premed to knock out a horse then even fluids do only so much. Isofluorane is out of their system quickly (if the vet uses it) and my clinic refused to use Dormitor except for rabbits.

Agree with Nekhbet.

You can desex him at any time - however whether you need to is another matter.

Desexing (in the vast majority of cases) won't change a dog for the better/prevent marking/behavioural problems etc. It wont correct bad leadership skills or lack of training.

It may reduce the risk of some cancers/diseases/health issues but it may also increase the risk of others. At the end of the day, if you are a responsible owner it's your decision, but which-ever way you go you are probably best to wait until he is fully grown (12-18 months).

Are you planning on showing him? If so you'll have to keep him entire for that. What does his breeder recommend?

Linky http://www2.dcn.org/orgs/ddtc/sfiles/LongT...euterInDogs.pdf

Hi Sticks

I wouldn't get your boy desexed until 15-18 months. I am attaching a link to a site that gives a lot of reasons for older desexation.

Reasons for later desexing.

Basically there were studies carried out in Europe and the USA in the 1980's and 1990's which showed that dogs desexed around 15-18 months were more mature mentally due to having correct progestrone levels in their brain. Dogs desexed at around 15 -18 months of age worked better as guide dogs and police dogs.

I personally would wait with my own dog until 18 months, but that is because I believe it is better for the dog healthwise.

Totally agreed with Nek, SecretKei and FH. I wouldn't do it before 18 months if at all. Correct development is crucial to the life of your dog. Young desexing alters the integrity of natural development and inhibits ckrrect growth.

Edited by dyzney