Banshee Off To The Vet Again

I can't believe my failed foster girl Banshee has to go to the vet AGAIN!! So far we've had intial checkups, desexing, vacc, microchip (in prep for re-homing), phantom pregnancy, weak patellas, full blood panel, chronic pancreatitis, suspected crutiate injury, pain killers for hunching, and last week, neck, spine and leg x-rays. She's also had behaviourist/training help to address her screaming and fear biting. All this since May!

Saturday night I noticed some mucous on her vulva and by Sunday it was bothering her. This morning she passed a lot of mucous, there doesn't seem to be any redness or irritation, mostly mucous (sorry to say mucous so much :) ). So I have her in the shop with me again today and we'll be off to the vets after work :laugh: . I might as well just take the whole cash register with me tonight and give it to the vet. Even for my crazy universe, this is getting a bit ridiculous :D

Thanks for letting me have a little vent :(

Edited by yellowgirl

Cheers Evolving, yes she really has had a bit of a tough time recently.

This discharge doesn't seem to be an infection, it's almost like she's in pre-oestrus. Impossible, I know... but then we are talking about Banshee, who had a phantom pregnancy after being desexed :rofl:

Will see what the vet says in half an hour ...

Cheers Harley and Rommi n Lewis :)

Thank you Miz J for taking the time with her yesterday. Your hubby did a super job too, even though Banshee was a bit nervy.

Well, apparently what Banshee has is 'stump pyometra'. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet but it's to do with the lower part of the ovarian tubes that's left after they're cut and removed during desexing. The vet drew a picture for me :(. The antibiotics should clear it up ;) . The vet doesn't know why it's happened but thinks that maybe the hormone injection a previous vet gave to Banshee during her season may have contributed to the infection. There's no guarantee that it won't re-occur :laugh:

But she's feeling okay, still a little piggy and as crazy as ever so it's not having too much of a negative effect on her :D . We've had a very stern discussion and I've reminded Banshee that every time she goes to the vet she will be re-introduced to the rectal thermometer, so Banshee has promised that she's pretty much got everything out of her system now and won't be needing any more vet visits for quite some time ;) :laugh::)

Edited by yellowgirl

We've had a very stern discussion and I've reminded Banshee that every time she goes to the vet she will be re-introduced to the rectal thermometer, so Banshee has promised that she's pretty much got everything out of her system now and won't be needing any more vet visits for quite some time

;) ;) :laugh:

A stump Pyo - you sure do get some curly ones!! Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up for good.

A stump Pyo - you sure do get some curly ones!! Hopefully the antibiotics clear it up for good.

I think Banshee is the queen of curly ones :idea: .

What a saga - I hope the talking too works for you!!

Me too! :rofl::thumbsup::laugh:

Pity the vet doesn't have a reward system for visits ... I'd probably be eligible for a new tv or something by now :rofl:

Thanks Spitzbabe. From what I've read, this infection can either clear up pretty well with antibiotics or can go the other way and require surgery :laugh: . Some dogs have died from the infection :idea: . Banshee's a pretty tough little thing though, so I think she'll be okay after a course of antibiotics (:thumbsup: currently crossing everything I have to cross )

Banshee is just awkward enough to make you think the antibiotics weren't working and then have a miracualous recovery just as you feel she will need something more extreme :rofl:

Off Topic - one of my kids brought in a gremlin toy today - I told her that I know someone with a dog that looks like them when they turn evil*L*

ETA - hugs for you and for Banshee - and throw a few in for the rest of your clan too

Edited by KelpieHoundMum

Cheers Harley and Rommi n Lewis :mad

Thank you Miz J for taking the time with her yesterday. Your hubby did a super job too, even though Banshee was a bit nervy.

Well, apparently what Banshee has is 'stump pyometra'. I haven't had a chance to look it up yet but it's to do with the lower part of the ovarian tubes that's left after they're cut and removed during desexing. The vet drew a picture for me :cheers:. The antibiotics should clear it up :thumbsup: . The vet doesn't know why it's happened but thinks that maybe the hormone injection a previous vet gave to Banshee during her season may have contributed to the infection. There's no guarantee that it won't re-occur :rofl:

But she's feeling okay, still a little piggy and as crazy as ever so it's not having too much of a negative effect on her :rofl: . We've had a very stern discussion and I've reminded Banshee that every time she goes to the vet she will be re-introduced to the rectal thermometer, so Banshee has promised that she's pretty much got everything out of her system now and won't be needing any more vet visits for quite some time :cheer::cheer::cheer:

No problems Jo, she did well with the 6ft 3in firey !!! Didnt see any of that real fear, she just knew her safety zone. Did you get the message about the collars?

Had Henry off to the vet last night also, he's got allergies to something environmental, have removed the offending plants we think. Funnily enough he started scratching his ears after he had the tattoo done when he was desexed and there is quite a red spot there. He did have an altercation with an asparagus fern which saw him like a "cherry ripe" poor thing. All sorted with plant removal and zyrtec and fish oil and aloveen baths. But his ears are so red. He has a superficial secondary infection in one ear from scratching so is on antibiotics for that and I agreed to short term steroids in an attempt to resolve this scratching cycle. The vet wants us to buy the Hills low allergy food however I am not keen to go down that track yet. If the environmental contols dont work then will perhaps look at that. I would rather go onto a pure raw diet. He is doing really well on his current diet and is in fantastic condition barring the red ears. His symptoms are worse when the weather is warm for a few days and they clearly spend more time basking in the garden. Enough of my allergic dog lol!!!

Aww, poor Henry. Hope you get to the bottom of his itchies soon Miz J. It's awful to see them itching and scratching and not knowing how to relieve their discomfort. Sounds like he had a bit of a reaction to the tattoo ink as well. Hopefully his new camo collar will help him feel a bit better :) (have sent you a pm)

Thank you Esky, that's very sweet. Most people haven't been lucky enough to see Banshee's full true, loving nature. She trusts me so much, and I just look into that little face of hers and I know the universe has chosen me to look out for her :laugh: