Bad Cough

Prinsesse

Just been reading about the puppy with chest infection. I had no idea that puppies could get colds. My pup has just started coughing and it sounds like she's an old lady with smokers cough? She threw up this afternoon and i thought it would make her better but she's still coughing. Can anyone offer any clue as to why this is happening? could she also have a cold? could something be stuck in her throat? She did have a similar cough once before and the vet said it would just go away and it did but this time it seems much worse. any thoughts would be appreciated?

cheers

It could be kennel cough.. It is very contagious and they don't catch it from going to kennels as such. Exercise makes it worse, and it can often produce vomiting episodes. May be best to take your pup to the vet.

eta, They can catch from kennels, but other places too. :(

Edited by VJB

Just been reading about the puppy with chest infection. I had no idea that puppies could get colds. My pup has just started coughing and it sounds like she's an old lady with smokers cough? She threw up this afternoon and i thought it would make her better but she's still coughing. Can anyone offer any clue as to why this is happening? could she also have a cold? could something be stuck in her throat? She did have a similar cough once before and the vet said it would just go away and it did but this time it seems much worse. any thoughts would be appreciated?

cheers

It sounds like she may have kennel cough (going only on the way you've described her coughing then throwing up). Just a guess, but that seems to be how they cough when they have kennel cough - basically a doggie cold, but like people, some individuals are susceptible to secondary infections, so I'd see your vet. :( And kennel cough is apparently doing the rounds at the moment.

cheers

It sounds like she may have kennel cough (going only on the way you've described her coughing then throwing up). Just a guess, but that seems to be how they cough when they have kennel cough - basically a doggie cold, but like people, some individuals are susceptible to secondary infections, so I'd see your vet. :( And kennel cough is apparently doing the rounds at the moment.

Went to the Vet. Antibiotics and cough medicine but I think the anti’s are aggravating her tummy. Saliva dripping from her mouth that she has never had before.

I wish i could bring her to work with me........

I was booked in to have my son's pup for two weeks but it sounds like i have to keep mine away from others for at least 10 days? does anyone have experience with timeing of this kennel cough thing?

Can i take her for a slow walk or should she just stay home for the whole time? How will i know when she isn't contagious anymore?

Did the vet say Kennel cough. Usually they don't give ABs unless it is a secondary infection which it could very well be by the sounds of it. Best to keep her quiet, and indoors if possible.

2 of mine had it and it took a few days for them to get over it. Not 100% sure of incubation period but I would keep her away from any other dogs till she is not coughing any more.

What sort of pup is she?

Can i take her for a slow walk or should she just stay home for the whole time?

no she must stay at home so there is less chance to spread it to others, if it is KC. Even so, she sounds like a sick little girl and staying home would be in her best interests.

Did the vet say Kennel cough. Usually they don't give ABs unless it is a secondary infection which it could very well be by the sounds of it. Best to keep her quiet, and indoors if possible.

2 of mine had it and it took a few days for them to get over it. Not 100% sure of incubation period but I would keep her away from any other dogs till she is not coughing any more.

What sort of pup is she?

She is a Dally - tried to upload a pic but didn't work!!!

Our girls had Kennel Cough after some new fosters brought it with them from the pound. Being GSP's they are quite hard to keep quiet :rofl: . We found that making sure thier water was not to cold helped and so did giving them spoon fulls of honey to suck on - soothed the throat somewhat and kept the coughing down just a little.

Hope your girl is on the mend soon :laugh: