Pool Safety

Archerlove

I just found my 9 week old puppy inside pool area.She had found a way under deck and into pool area. I took her out and watched as minites later having tried to squeeze through the bars she found her way back under deck and was leaning into the pool. I know Labs love water but the thought of her in pool terrifies me. I have whipped pool cover off so if she did fall in at least we could see her and she`d have a chance to swm or we could hook her out .

I cannot leave her alone in garden now until we have blocked off her beneath deck access to pool..

Questions ??

When would she be able to swim? Could she swim to save herself now?

Any furthur iseas?

Many years ago a friend of mine lost her adult SBT to drowning in her pool. The dog could swim fine but he must not have been able to find a way out of it and they were not home at the time. :laugh: Very, very sad. Agree that it would be best not to let the pup outside unsupervised until you are certain that she cannot get in to the pool.

We have a skamper ramp, but all the same if no one is home the dogs are locked inside where there is no possible way they can find their way into the pool. Both fell in as puppies and are good at avoiding it, but Erik has gone in an extra two times due to him not always watching where he's running! Our pool is too close to the house to fence. The skamper ramp has never once aided any animal out of our pool.

We made an exception for my old girl for various reasons pertaining to her quality of life, but the boys have grown up with the no dogs in the yard when no one is home rule. They even have a yard that is fenced away from the pool, but they say they'd rather be inside. :laugh:

We have a skamper ramp, but all the same if no one is home the dogs are locked inside where there is no possible way they can find their way into the pool. Both fell in as puppies and are good at avoiding it, but Erik has gone in an extra two times due to him not always watching where he's running! Our pool is too close to the house to fence. The skamper ramp has never once aided any animal out of our pool.

We made an exception for my old girl for various reasons pertaining to her quality of life, but the boys have grown up with the no dogs in the yard when no one is home rule. They even have a yard that is fenced away from the pool, but they say they'd rather be inside. :love:

Thank you everyone.We had to watch her like a hawk in garden last night having just got to stage where we let her wonder around semi supervised.Off to Bunnings today to get the items required to pupy proof the pool.

My heart still races at the thought of yesterday.

We had a pool at our old house that my parents beagle fell into - we found him frantically paddling around unable to get out - since then our pools (both at that house and at our new one) have been securely fenced with NO dog access unless one of us in in the pool area with them

I know of a 8 week old puppy who fell in a pool and died :laugh:

i hate pools

Oh no.That is terrible and my heart aches at the thought.

We have blocked off the beneath deck area now. I have seen her trying to squeeze through the bars of pool fece but as she is growing daily this will no longer be a possibility in a few days. In a couple of months the pool will be full of children so we`ll let her in to check she can swimand show her how to get out safely.

My next door neighbour lost their 8yr old dog in January after it had gone into the pool when they were not home. The dog was a great swimmer,unfortunatly it just had forgotten how to get out. They thought the dog had escaped and searched the streets before finally noticing him in the bottom of the pool, poor old boy. Never let our dogs inside the pool fence unless we are there. Above ground pool but I have caught them climbing the pool ladder a couple times. Occaisionly I close them inside the pool fence if we have mean kids(or stupid parents who dont teach them nice animal manners) visiting but we are always outside watching them.

• 2 weeks later...

I`m relieved that Emma is now too big to fit thro` the pool bars.Soon as the weather is warm we`ll make sure she can swim ( this is a Lab!!!!!!!!) and how to get out safely.I`m thankful ther are shallow steps to the pool allalong one side.

This is one of my worst fears, i have a pool with a pool fence but im so scared my pup will get through the bars, i never leave him unsupervised outside and will be putting chicken wire all around the fencing so theres no chance he can get in even as an adult.

Seeing your dog pass after drowning would be the most terrible thing, my heart goes out to anyone who's had it happen :D

Edited by loveisashihtzu

I had the same worry. I ended up buying some compost cages from Bunnings and spray painting them black. I easily wired them on to the pool fence and as they are black you don't notice them. Much easier to put up and take down than fiddling with rolls of wire. Looks nicer too. :D

My 2yr old Stafford can still fit through a standard pool fence. She's a contortionist!

Edited by Clyde

I know of a 8 week old puppy who fell in a pool and died :provoke:

i hate pools

+2 :hug:

10 week old labrador puppy. Drowned in the pool.

Youngest child found it. :(

OH NO HOW DREADFULL. I`m so sorry.After a child it is the worst scenario I can think of.Hugs for you all.