White Boxer Pups Ad In Paper

spottychick

I was told (by a boxer breeder many years ago) that white boxers can get skin cancer because it's the colour (ie red/brindle etc) that protects their skin from sun damage. Don't understand how that works, but that was what we were told.

Like other mammals (including humans) dogs have pigments called melanins which are responsible for their colouration. Melanins help protect the skin from high-energy solar rays (ultraviolet light) like built-in sunscreen. Light coloured animals have less pigment than darker animals and are more susceptible to damage by ultraviolet light. For white boxers and other breeds with pink skin and short white fur, they are more at risk of sunburn and pre-cancerous legions, which could develop into cancer undetected.

Bull terriers and white cats also have this problem, and it in itself is no reason to cull an animal. Precautions such as keeping indoors, reducing sun exposure, and using sunscreen are all viable ways of managing light-skinned animals.

Deafness often co-occurs with hypo-pigmented (under-pigmented) animals. The genetic causes are multiple, differ between species and individuals, and do not share a single genetic loci. In other words, there is no 'deafness' gene, and just because an animal is white doesn't mean that it will be deaf. Rather, in certain breeds/species whiteness may indicate a level of inbreeding predisposing to other common diseases of inbreeding (such as deafness, hypo-pigmentation, congenital heart problems, etc.).

I ask because in the same pet classifieds there was a 1 yr old lab being given away by a registered breeder because he (as it turned out when I rang to ask) is deaf. Is this regarded as good practice by breeders? IE giving away dogs that are not allowed to be sold or have some kind of "issue".

I think giving away pets is dangerous, as it may attract attention from the wrong sorts of people. Responsible pet owners should always expect their companions to come with a price, whereas irresponsible people looking to make a quick buck will snaffle up a freebie pup.

I agree that deaf is not unmanageable and can live a normal life but the high cancer risks ?

I don't think culling is the answer to what essentially boils down to a lifestyle issue of slip-slop-slap... all mammals with pale skin have a higher than normal incidence of skin cancer compared to dark skinned mammals. Even humans. This doesn't mean that all caucasian people should be culled due to their susceptibility, it means that they should take precautions :cry:

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

White is simply a colour in boxers, as it is in most other breeds - ie, bull terriers and bulldogs, to name a couple. Some of the original dogs which were the founders of the breed were white.

It is not a colour which is acceptable for main registration. White dogs are more prone to melanomas than dark ones, but dark dogs are more prone to histiosarcomas - and brain tumours are not decided by colour.

White boxers may be deaf, due to the white spotting gene. Pups should be tested, preferably Bauer tested, prior to sale. Cattle dogs and dalmations may also be born deaf.

I do not know of any white boxers which are genetically or congenitally blind.

Some breeders are very anti white boxers, some are not.

There are a lot of myths and rumours abounding, and anyone interested in white boxers should do some serious research, past the Vic boxer club site, which is anti white boxers.

White boxers used to be reasonably rare, because ethical breeders did not want to produce them in litters, as they were not registerable - and there was more possibility they would be deaf than coloured boxers. Since the increase in BYB and foolish people who are attempting to breed white, there are now more available - and it is not a rare colour.

I have seen no evidence that white boxers are more prone to disease (apart from melanomas, as all white dogs) or live shorter or less healthy lives than brindle or fawn boxers.

And white boxer pups are usually sold by reputable breeders for less than coloured pups, and with a heads up about possible problems. They should not be bred from, because (a) white is not a registerable colour and (b) there is the possibility of spreading deafness through the general boxer population. I would assume that anyone breeding with white boxers would not give a toss whether they were producing deaf boxers or not.

Whether to cull or sell is the decision of the breeder, really, depending on their outlook and ethos.

Thanks for clearing up the urban myths Jed and it's nice to have you back. I have 2 whiteys . Mine were bought for temperament and they are pets, one from a very reputable breeder and the other a rescue. Personally I dont care what colour they are. I did research the white boxer and found a lot of anecdotal rubbish. There doesnt seem to be any good long term study on health outcomes between boxer colours ie white vs non white.

My sister got a boxer from Lithgow Pound numerous years ago that I transported for her down to Victoria.

He is Deaf. He has a screw loose (or more!), suffers hayfever terribly, his eyes swell, he sunbakes...

She's a sweet dog, but he's crazy!

But i don't believe that has any reflection on the breed itself... He's definitely not there all up top though. He is a very weird dog.

Wow - who knew my idle curiousity would result in such an interesting thread.

This may sound like a stupid question but if they are not supposed to be sold - is it regarded as all right to give them away?

I ask because in the same pet classifieds there was a 1 yr old lab being given away by a registered breeder because he (as it turned out when I rang to ask) is deaf. Is this regarded as good practice by breeders? IE giving away dogs that are not allowed to be sold or have some kind of "issue".

If not, what "should" the breeder do with dogs that fall foul of these rules?

PS It is so nice to see you posting on topics of interest to you again jed!!! :laugh:

I'd also be interested to know how this works.

If a dog cannot be registrered (because of it's colour) and cannot be sold unregistered (by a registered breeder following ANKC guidelines) then what becomes of a perfectly healthy puppy who just happens to be the wrong colour?

Does the breeder only have the option of cull or keep? Or would they offer the pup for free to a suitable owner who was already on their puppy waiting list?

Surely they wouldn't advertise the puppy for free?

The TCA are not abiding by ANKC regulations.

"6.2.4 The registration of White Boxers is NOT permitted on any register. (05/05)"

The regulation applies to all states and as breeders are not allowed to sell unregistered puppies, it is therefore against the regulations to sell white Boxers.

In which states does this apply? I am sure that I have heard of white boxers on the limited register before, and I have certainly heard of white boxers being sold at a reduced price by reputable breeders :heart:

A member shall register all puppies bred (excluding those breeds listed in ANKC Regulation Part

6, Section 6.2 whose specific colours precludes them from being registered on any Register) by

that member that are living at the date of registration.

This is what ours says, which to me says they cannot be registered full stop! HOwever a WA person that has breeds with unallowable colours may be to tell me more.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis