Off The Leash Areas

Archerlove

What do you think of Off The leash Areas? Safe?Dangerous? Do you use them ? Do you go when there are other dogs are there? Do you wait until no one else is there.Have you had bad/ happy experience in an Off The Leash Area?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they can be great places but it is entirely dependent on the owners and dogs who frequent them. Which is why I am extremely wary every time I set foot in one.

I have had bad experiences (ie fights/attacks) with past dogs and also with my current dog so of the several offlead parks in my area, I frequent the one with the least amount of dogs in it.

I generally know all the dogs that are there (I'm an early regular), we keep moving and dont "hang out". My dog can play if she wants (which is not often) and I am always on the lookout for if she has had enough of that play and needs rescuing.

don't use them, too many idiots who just let the dogs have a free for all, who can't read body language :laugh:

my dogs meet lots of dogs, so no need to meet anymore badly behaved ones.

i let mine off when no one is around at huge reserve near me, its got tree's and a lake, and everyone uses it, i put them back on when i see someone. :rofl:

What do you think of Off The leash Areas? Safe?Dangerous?

I choose not to use them. I think running groups of unknown dogs together comes with a high level of risk, especially in small fenced off leash areas where dogs are crammed together in small spaces. I don't like to let my dogs run with dogs I don't know owned by people I've never met. I don't see the benefit in it, and the risk in my eyes is too great.

Do you use them ? Do you go when there are other dogs are there? Do you wait until no one else is there.

Either when they are empty or on the rare occasion, for a DOL meet. But other than that no - we steer clear of them! Except maybe to use them for distraction training in which instance we'll train outside the fenced area.

Have you had bad/ happy experience in an Off The Leash Area?

Well, it's nice to have a secure area to run your dogs in but I've seen countless fights break out in dog parks, have seen/heard of dogs being killed and seriously injured by other dogs, I have had my own dogs attacked and bullied by other dogs and met owners who are totally clueless as to appropriate canine behaviour and body language. In my experience, the negatives far out weigh and positives to using a dog park.

It is a big "depends". My local off leash area is unfenced (which I think causes less tension with dogs) and I only use it at off peak times. I leave immediately if certain dogs come into the park.

I have a tiny back yard and my dogs would have a very poor quality of life IMO if they didn't get some time to actually stretch their legs.

No need to go to an off-leash area - that's what my neighbourhood already is. I usually take my dogs away in the car for a big long walk in a park or something as we can't really go more than about 20m without a neighbour's apparently friendly dog rushing us. If I get to a park and there are off-leash dogs there, while I'm sure some people are responsible with their dogs, I'm not willing to chance it.

I think every park is different. There is 3 parks that we go to. One close to home where everyone waits their turn and generally there is only one person using the park at a time. The down side is many don't clean up after their dogs and it is a very plain park. The second is a huge one and has agility stuff there to play on but again many don't clean up after their dogs and a few not so nice dogs and owners that have no control. The third park (thanks to another doler for the heads up) is small and clean and so far I have only come across one other dog and they left when we showed up. (We were happy to wait our turn)

So to answer your questions, I like off lead parks but I am very careful when I use them. The smaller parks I wait till they are vacant before we go in and the bigger park they will run with other dogs but I will remove them if I have any doubts about another dog.

So far have not really had any bad experiences, I know my dogs well and know when they have had enough or don't like another dog so will take them away from the situation. We have had lots of good experiences and met some lovely dogs and owners!

Guest sharynriding

Don't use them anymore. Too many idiots with no idea of what they are doing or how their dogs should be under "effective control". Long walks, jogs and plenty of change of scenery for my boys. Had them attacked way too many times at the dog park.

I use them. However, I will look at what dogs & owners are in there first and judge by that whether I want to use it or not. The more dogs in there & the amount of larger dogs in the area the less likely of me entering only due to Jet's behavioural problems. I know what sort of dogs and how many he can handle so I won't push him.

I have had only one bad experience in a dog park, the owner was outside the fenced area no where near his dog, then his dog chose to jump on top of Jessie & myself. After that I make sure all owners are close by there dogs.

Edited by ♥JJ

It all depends... I think dog parks are great if you know how to use it properly. Depends on how confident you are taking them there. And, depends on how much control you have over your dog.

Charlie loves the dog park, and we go visit his favorite dog park at least once a week. He loves exploring around, saying hello to dogs and just wandering outside without a leash on (he is always on leash otherwise). There has been bad incidents but nothing serious where it has turned me off taking him there... it just made me more aware and alert.

I take my two to dog parks for new scenery, surrounding and just be outdoors. Bonus if the dogs can meet other dogs to say hello, but I don't take them down to just play with other dogs (there are dogs there that I don't want them to play with). If there is no dogs around, my 2 still has fun chasing lizards, bark at ducks or just play with me. We stay clear of hyper energy dog (it's a huge park so everyone has their own space) and we never stay in the same spot for more than 10 minutes. We are always moving around the park... never really stay at one spot.

I think the main problem, apart from useless owners, is they are too small.

I would like to see a long walks fenced off, to keep owners and dogs moving.

Perhaps a small one for small dogs only?

What do you think of Off The leash Areas? Safe?Dangerous?

That totally depends on the people who use them. In principle, it is a great idea to have a place where dogs can run. My dogs love to run and do zoomies and my backyard is not big enough for two dogs that size to play chase.

However, if all owners don't monitor their dogs very closely, a fight can escalate quite quickly with disastrous consequences.

Do you use them ? Do you go when there are other dogs are there? Do you wait until no one else is there.

I use them regularly. However, I prefer to go there when there are very few dogs, and they are all known to me. If a strange dog comes in, I stay very close to my dogs to monitor their reaction and at the first sign of uncomfortable behaviour, I leave. If a known aggressive dog is there, I don't go in.

Have you had bad/ happy experience in an Off The Leash Area?

Both. Some days my dogs have the best of time at the park when they get to play with dogs they've known since they were puppies. At other times we've had to leave after 15 mins since a dog I'm not comfortable with comes in. My dog has been attacked twice by the same dog in a dog park (not the one I regularly go to). No one was hurt since I and my OH reacted quickly and pulled our dog out of reach. But the owners did not move a finger to control their dog. When I told them they should not be bringing that dog to the dog park, their answer was "it's a dog park"!!! I have now reported them to the council since this dog has also attacked another puppy.

It all depends... I think dog parks are great if you know how to use it properly. Depends on how confident you are taking them there. And, depends on how much control you have over your dog.

I find the problem isn't my dogs or my control over them, but other people whose actions and dogs I don't have any control over.

I've been at dog parks when the instant a dog has walked in the gate, it's grabbed another dog and attacked it. I've seen owners of dogs who are having a fight or attacking another dog brush it off as "oh he's just doing what dogs do" and countless other examples where people have shown a lack of control to the detriment of the other dogs in the park. If I knew other owners were going to do the right thing with their dogs, I would consider using dog parks.

I find the problem isn't my dogs or my control over them, but other people whose actions and dogs I don't have any control over.

I've been at dog parks when the instant a dog has walked in the gate, it's grabbed another dog and attacked it. I've seen owners of dogs who are having a fight or attacking another dog brush it off as "oh he's just doing what dogs do" and countless other examples where people have shown a lack of control to the detriment of the other dogs in the park. If I knew other owners were going to do the right thing with their dogs, I would consider using dog parks.

Husky, the parks in brisbane seem to be very different to the parks in Melbourne. My local park is a bunch of unfenced ovals - there is not gate. I agree that a small, enclosed area is a very bad idea.

Yeah.. that's true. Sorry, I wrote my reply based on going to non fence off leash park. I usually go to parks where it's just a big reserve/park and everyone has space.

I rarely take my pups to a fenced dog park... I've dealt with really really stupid owners there. From what I see, about 90% of the people who take their dogs to a fence dog park, usually has no control of their dog uses the excuse "they are just being dogs", to cover that they can't control their dogs.

Megan you are quite right, dog parks here are pretty much all small fenced areas. I'd probably be more comfortable using a large off leash park but the idea of running my dogs with strange dogs still makes me nervous and I can't really see the benefit in doing so (I do understand the benefit to off leash exercise though)

I think it depends...

I have a great one near me where only every 1 or 2 people are and have never had an issue there, yet I've been to one with 20+ people there are the owners and dogs are shocking.

Guest Tess32

I don't see how anyone can generalise - they are all different and it depends on the area.

Someone might only have access to small 'dog parks' and they are vastly different to the off leash areas near me, which are basically large reserves that aren't made for dogs, but dogs are just allowed to be offleash.

I use the one near me all the time and don't see much risk at all compared to coming across an offleash dog on a walk. The reserve is huge with good viewing distance and it's very easy to leash your dog and walk away from another dog if you see one coming.

Those of us with small yards don't have much option - most dogs NEED offleash exercise.

There are too many variables to offer a 'one size fits all view".

My dogs do not run in fenced or popular public offleash areas. I've yet to see one run in a manner that would make me review that decision. Those who cannot recall their dogs gravitate to the fenced areas like bees to honey.

Frankly the biggest risk IMO is handlers who have no idea of dog body language and next to no control over their dogs.

Edited by poodlefan

I don't see how anyone can generalise - they are all different and it depends on the area.

Someone might only have access to small 'dog parks' and they are vastly different to the off leash areas near me, which are basically large reserves that aren't made for dogs, but dogs are just allowed to be offleash.

I use the one near me all the time and don't see much risk at all compared to coming across an offleash dog on a walk. The reserve is huge with good viewing distance and it's very easy to leash your dog and walk away from another dog if you see one coming.

The things that I don't like about dog parks still exist in larger ones, although if they are a massive space with dogs spread out over a bigger area I can see the risk would be less than if they were all crammed together in a small space.

Those of us with small yards don't have much option - most dogs NEED offleash exercise.

Yes I agree, it's a problem I have at the moment, we have a small yard and I would like to let my dogs run around in larger spaces but there is really no option where I live. It's small fenced dog parks or nothing. And unless they are empty when I go in, I can't use them.