Researchers Uncover Oldest Dog Remains

Kissindra

http://www.news.com.au/world/researchers-u...i-1225900393737

Researchers uncover 'oldest' dog remains

* August 03, 2010 9:00AM

SCIENTISTS have found that fragments of a dog's skull and teeth discovered in a cave in Switzerland that date back more than 14,000 years in what could be the oldest known remains of man's best friend.

The fossils were among a haul of archaeological finds uncovered in 1873 in the Kesslerloch cave in northern Switzerland, the country's news agency ATS said.

But it was only last year that researchers at Germany's Tuebingen University took a closer look at them, it said.

"During a recent re-analysis of the faunal remains, we identified a cranial fragment and teeth of the domestic dog," the researchers said in an article in the International Journal of Osteoarchaeology.

"The large maxillar fragment was directly dated to ... 14,100-14,600 BP (Before Present)," it said.

"We argue that the maxilla fragment must now be considered the earliest indisputable directly dated evidence of a domestic dog," they said.

Belgian archaeologists have claimed to have found the cranium of a dog dating back 30,000 years, but researcher Hannes Napierala told ATS: "We are skeptical because the teeth are very similar to those of a wolf."

The fragment found in the cave in Switzerland's Schaffhausen canton, however, was clearly distinct from remains of wolves, the researchers said.

The fragment found in the cave in Switzerland's Schaffhausen canton, however, was clearly distinct from remains of wolves, the researchers said.

:laugh:

Now that IS interesting .... I wonder where all my sparring opponents from the "dogs came from wolves!" faction are today ....

Science is truly a wonderful thing .... it is just a pity that humans have to be involved in it and put their own spin on it.

Souff

Saying dogs came from wolves is like saying man has come from apes, unfortunatly theres a little thing called the "missing link" that is, well, despite everything, still missing and will remain so because its a myth. Man was his own species that evolved into the supreme "naked ape" by use of naturally occuring hallucinagens which opened our conscioness and self awarenes to a level not seen by any other animal.

I think dogs were around before the missing link of man not that there was one, becase they have evolved to be better adapted to nature without the use of creative thinking and thumbs that man could ever dream of. And not through human intervention either if anything human intervention has streamlined natural dogs into mans use.

Sure dogs and wolves had a root at some point in time, still do probably and have little bastards that become something else. But untill a wolf/dog "missing link" is found, just like an ape/man link is found I say BS.

Cool find though :cry:

Edited by GeckoTree

Saying dogs came from wolves is like saying man has come from apes, unfortunatly theres a little thing called the "missing link" that is, well, despite everything, still missing and will remain so because its a myth. Man was his own species that evolved into the supreme "naked ape" by use of naturally occuring hallucinagens which opened our conscioness and self awarenes to a level not seen by any other animal.

I think dogs were around before the missing link of man not that there was one, becase they have evolved to be better adapted to nature without the use of creative thinking and thumbs that man could ever dream of. And not through human intervention either if anything human intervention has streamlined natural dogs into mans use.

Sure dogs and wolves had a root at some point in time, still do probably and have little bastards that become something else. But untill a wolf/dog "missing link" is found, just like an ape/man link is found I say BS.

Cool find though :confused:

Good analogy re apes/man. Pity more people didn't think it through instead of believing the spin that has been around on this supposed direct connection between wolves and dogs. Perhaps too many were influenced by Humphrey B Bear in the critical childhood development periods and some of those little cerebral connections were just not extended enough. Thinking further than what is written by others, and researching about the finds about primeval times, is healthy brain activity.

Souff

Edited by Souff

Cool find though :thumbsup:

I think you may find the missing link is a myth of sorts. :laugh:

i do like the 'hallucinagens' reference though :eek::laugh: