Suitable Diet?

What is she crossed with? I know you have said Cav X Before.

I would go chicken frsmes - chop them in half if you want to give her less, and a beter dog food. Sometimes I make up cooked meat and a bit of rice - one of mine cannot tolerate raw meat - and they love it, but I figure I love chocolate but shouldn't eat it all the time :(

I also give the odd can of sardines, odd egg, odd bit of dog roll etc.

She is CKCS crossed with a CKCS X Poodle (Cavoodle). She she is 3/4 Cav, 1/4 poodle. I know that she probably came from a puppy farm but I didn't know about those places when we got her. I knew petshops and BYB were bad. She was sold by this LOVELY lady who has emailed twice with updates of her siblings (the lady kept one puppy) and pictures of her Mum and Dad. The lady seems to really LOVE dogs so I wonder what the true story behind her breeding is. ;)

Thanks for the feeding advice! :dummy:

Don't worry I am not going to have a go at you, just interested is all. She is quite large for a 3/4 Cav X so I am guessing the Poodle bit may not have been toy?

Although she looks Kind big even if she had Min Poodle. Not that it matters anyway!

The best way to tell theya re the correct weight is to have a good look, make sure the ribs are felt easily and that she has a waist and tuck up.

At her size I would definately go for the frames, chopped if needed instead of wings and necks.

Don't worry I am not going to have a go at you, just interested is all. She is quite large for a 3/4 Cav X so I am guessing the Poodle bit may not have been toy?

Although she looks Kind big even if she had Min Poodle. Not that it matters anyway!

The best way to tell theya re the correct weight is to have a good look, make sure the ribs are felt easily and that she has a waist and tuck up.

At her size I would definately go for the frames, chopped if needed instead of wings and necks.

I've never met a purebred Cav so can't compare but would be interested to compare her with one one day. :confused: I guess she hasn't stopped growing so will see how big she grows. I don't think she will grow TOO much bigger. She is perfect size for us though. Not too big, not too little. :laugh:

Her ribs are easily felt and her waist tucked under. She was quite sick when she was about 14 weeks and lost a lot of weight so I have always been really mindful that she is the right size. Not too big, not too small! :laugh:

Will check out the frames and try them out on her? Is 1/2 per day too much?

Oh, and thanks for not having a go. I've had the lecture SO many times it's not even funny. I hate feeling bad for having Poppy because we love her so much and don't regret getting her but obviously would never go there again. I would love a pure cav from a breeder one day. Or a rescue cav! :rofl:

PD how tall is Poppy? She looks mighty tall for a CKCS mix but that might be the poodle coming through. or just the photo (ETA: Snap Rommi!)

I note that the breed weight for a CKCS in the standard is:

Weight: 5.4-8.2 kg (12-18 lbs).

A small well-balanced dog well within these weights desirable.

I've seen a CKCS/Cocker Spaniel mix that looked like Poppy.

Edited by poodlefan

PD how tall is Poppy? She looks mighty tall for a CKCS mix but that might be the poodle coming through. or just the photo

Not sure on her exact height (don't have anything to measure her) But I would estimate from foot up to the top of her back that she is 40 - 45cm.

I brought her a coat that was a 45cm one and it fits her perfectly. That might add give some extra info about her size.

I never realised Cav's were smaller than her. I actually thought they would be the same size. Very interesting! :confused:

PD how tall is Poppy? She looks mighty tall for a CKCS mix but that might be the poodle coming through. or just the photo

Not sure on her exact height (don't have anything to measure her) But I would estimate from foot up to the top of her back that she is 40 - 45cm.

I brought her a coat that was a 45cm one and it fits her perfectly. That might add give some extra info about her size.

I never realised Cav's were smaller than her. I actually thought they would be the same size. Very interesting! :confused:

Mini poodle breed standard tops out at about 36cm (15 inches) although there are plenty larger than that. Poppy is way leggier than a CKCS and that ticked coat says there might be another spaniel in the mix..

Got a head shot???

Edited by poodlefan

I never realised Cav's were smaller than her. I actually thought they would be the same size. Very interesting! :laugh:

Mini poodle breed standard tops out at about 36cm (15 inches) although there are plenty larger than that. Poppy is way leggier than a CKCS and that ticked coat says there might be another spaniel in the mix..

Got a head shot???

Hmm...maybe I was ripped off even more than I initially thought! :confused:

Here is a head shot of her.

post-33317-1280987681_thumb.jpg

Here is her "Mum" - Cavoodle

post-33317-1280987781_thumb.jpg

And here is her "Dad" - CKCS

post-33317-1280987812_thumb.jpg

Edited by PoppyDog

I've met a CKCS x Poodle too and she was really tall but looks exactly like a CKCS. I'm thinking that the poodle was a standard size one.. the owner didn't realise their dog will be so big! Seriously, it was really tall.

Charlie is CKCS x Shih Tzu... he is a stumpy little fella. He is all but 5.6kg. Long body but short legs.

I finally met a purebred CKCS and he was taller than Charlie but not as long, but they weight the same.

Oh, and thanks for not having a go. I've had the lecture SO many times it's not even funny. I hate feeling bad for having Poppy because we love her so much and don't regret getting her but obviously would never go there again. I would love a pure cav from a breeder one day. Or a rescue cav!

No worries I hate being told the same thing over and over.

Everyone is human and makes mistakes, it is what we learn from the info we gain that is important.

I thought a bit of Cocker may be in the mix.

She is very cute :confused:

I would think half a frame would be a good size. My Whippets are 11 and 13.8 kgs and they cannot eat a whole one, but half is a good amount for them.

Edited by Rommi n Lewis

Damn! But thanks for your honesty! We do give her chicken necks and meaty bones too. We have to freeze the chicken necks so she doesnt try to eat them whole and gag!

I'm happy to stick with our dry food (we just brought an 18kg bag!) and just keep going with the raw chicken mince.

Is that a better option?

If she's swallowing (or trying to!) chicken necks whole, it's because they're too small. Try bigger pieces - like half a frame/carcass, a thigh or a wing.

Mince is never a good option for dogs with teeth - the result is decay, eventually. Dogs need bones to clean & exercise their teeth, gums, jaw & neck muscles.

Check out http://www.rawlearning.com

Sonia