Anaesthetic Reaction, How Common?

My boy went in to be desexed yesterday, and he had a reaction to the anaesthetic. His head and neck swelled up quite considerably. To the point where when I had him home I couldn't fit a finger under his collar on the last hole and had to take it off. He'd been treated at the vets. Most of the swelling had disappeared by this morning and he was mostly back to normal. I was just curious as to how common this is. Is it something we need to pay attention to if he ever needs to go for surgery again?? I just heard "he had a reaction" and switched off and didn't pay much attention because he was handed over to me and I was trying to stop him jumping all over the desk ;)

Sounds like some sort of anaphylactic reaction to something they gave him. Talk to the vet who anaesthetised him and ask if they have any idea of what may have caused it. You WILL need to know for future anaesthetics. As a follow up he should have some allergy testing done involving the drugs he was given, to determine what caused the reaction.

It is generally uncommon.

It could be a reaction to the premedication drugs, the anaesthetic induction agent or any other medications given in the perioperative period.

Previously when I have used Aquafol (a specific preparation of propofol) we did occasionally see dogs come out in generalised wheals which settled fairly quickly after an antihistamine injection. Recently I saw the first case I have treated of an dog that seemingly reacted to Alfaxan which is considered to be one of the safest anaesthetic injections. It involved facial swelling, the dog has also had an antibiotic injection during the procedure but the timing of the reaction seemed to be more closely related to the Alfaxan.

Awww poor Bundy. If it was neck and head area it could have been a reaction to the premed, which is usually given in the same place as vaccinations are. I would ask the vet for a list of the drugs they used including the type of anesthetic and premeds, so that you know what to avoid if he does need one in the future.

I *think* the nurse said it may have been a reaction to the meds he got given while he was waking up? I shall check with them when he goes back for his wound check in a week and see if they think it's worth doing testing. I was just curious, as it's not something I thought of or had heard of before. They did also say that he took longer than normal to wake up. I rang home earlier and the swelling seems to be gone except for around his jaw, so it's going slowly but the vets did say to expect it to take a few days.

Edited by Bundy's Mum

Did they give him pain killers?? Cause if it's that then you need to find out exactly what it was to avoid it in the future.

The invoice doesn't say that he did, just antibiotics.. He cried going from the vet to the car, car to home then non stop for 4-5hrs, then for about 2hrs in the middle of the night, so I don't think he had any but maybe he's a sooky. He had the IV fluids during surgery too. I did notice on the invoice I didn't get charged their fee for castrating an 'older' dog though :confused:

You guys have given me some good things to ask the vets for future reference though, so thanks :laugh: I just really wanted to get him home so I didn't really think about it until today.

Tibetan Terriers get "Anaesthetic Idiosyncrasy" - my vets have been informed and Rappie would know, but they use one of the newer-generation anaesthetics?? Not sure which one.....

Just a comment really :heart: But I haven't heard of many reactions so this post jumped out at me :angel:

Hope your boy feels better soon :(