Barking Dogs-not Ours

Dame Aussie

Ok, so we are in a rental property surrounded by dogs :eek:

At the back we have 2 Corgis and a Maltese x, to the left there is a GR and what looks like maybe a Weimerana? And in front if them (units) is something big that I haven't seen.

The littlies at the back bark a lot but not constantly, our dogs chase them up and down the fence :) but don't really bark back.

Ours aren't real barkers, they can be loud when they fight and will go off if someone walks past but no constant woofing.

Anyway, for the last few days the GR and Weim have been at it CONSTANTLY. Everytime we go out the back it gets ten times worse and then sets off the littlies at the back too, we pretty much have to come back inside to get any peace.

Thing is, when the littlies bark their owners call them, as do we if ours bark, and does the owner of the big dog, but nothing from this house, the two dogs are in a teeny tiny courtyard alone, all day, and it sounds like all night.

We've only been here for about 6 weeks and I don't know what to do. I don't mind a bit of barking but I feel really sorry for these dogs, I also dont want our other neighbours thinking it's our dogs either!

I worry if we make a complaint or try and talk to them they might not react well, it's become a real pain in the butt though!

Has anyone else had similar problems?

We were living in a rental a few years ago and had new neighbours move in on one side. They had a young GSD that barked all the time and they never tried to stop it. I think they were frightened of the dog as it was quite aggressive and would even have a 'go' at them! :) We let them know in a friendly way that the dog was barking alot and made some suggestions re what to do about it but it fell on deaf ears. Eventually, after months of complaints, the dog was declared a nuisence dog (sp) by the council and if any complaints were made they would recieve a fine. That made them try to stop it for a couple of weeks but it didn't change anything in the long run because the dog still barked all the time and they just refused to pay the fines. In the end though they moved, I think they got sick of everyone calling the council re the dog and police re them!

Hopefully your neighbours are not as bad as these ones were and just having a friendly chat will do the trick.

Perhaps dropping a friendly but anonymous note in their mailbox letting them know their dogs are barking would be the way to go.

Some would say that it's only fair to confront them directly, but I would personally be reluctant to do this since you have dogs too, & the neighbours know this - they could cause trouble by making a complaint to the ranger about your dogs to get back at you. Hopefully they aren't the kind of people who would do this, but I've heard of such things happening.

Perhaps dropping a friendly but anonymous note in their mailbox letting them know their dogs are barking would be the way to go.

Some would say that it's only fair to confront them directly, but I would personally be reluctant to do this since you have dogs too, & the neighbours know this - they could cause trouble by making a complaint to the ranger about your dogs to get back at you. Hopefully they aren't the kind of people who would do this, but I've heard of such things happening.

That's what I was thinking!

They may genuinly be unaware their dogs are causing others bother.

Perhaps just a note in the letter box politely asking if they could please try contain the dogs barking a little

I can't give you any advice, only sympathise as we are in a similar situation - our neighbour's dog barks for hours on end. We are finding it very hard to train our pup not to bark when this one is going all the time. I have worried about the repercussions of any complaints or letters on our dog so we have just put up with it so far. OH was planning to have a casual conversation about it next time he saw the father out in the garden (from a sympathetic point of view, ie. our dog barks too) so we can see if there is a known reason for all the barking and what (if anything) they have tried but we haven't seen him for ages. Hoping we can work together to keep them both reasonably quiet.

If you put a note in their letterbox at least have the guts to put your name on it!

At out last house our new neighbours put a note in our letterbox signed "the neighbourhood". I knew it was not from "the neighbourhood" as we were good friends with all the other neighbours! Had they politely knocked on our door and let me know I would have done what ever I could to stop the barking as I was unaware of the problem. (dog was barking at night at the back of our block and our bedrooms are at the front). As it turns out it was their lights left on all night that was causing the barking not my blind dog getting disorientated as I first thought.

If you put a note in their letterbox at least have the guts to put your name on it!

At out last house our new neighbours put a note in our letterbox signed "the neighbourhood". I knew it was not from "the neighbourhood" as we were good friends with all the other neighbours! Had they politely knocked on our door and let me know I would have done what ever I could to stop the barking as I was unaware of the problem. (dog was barking at night at the back of our block and our bedrooms are at the front). As it turns out it was their lights left on all night that was causing the barking not my blind dog getting disorientated as I first thought.

It's not about "guts" Kmaci, it's about protecting my own dogs. Unless you already know the neighbours are nice people, then I would not ever risk my dog's safety by assuming that they were nice. Sure most people are nice, but some aren't.

As I said above, I have heard first hand of cases where the ranger was called in retaliation to get back at a neighbour who had (politely) told another that their dogs barked. I have heard first hand of cases where dogs were baited because the neighbours had a feud that started over a silly thing like this. One of my friends was physically threatened because they asked their neighbour to turn the music down. My aunty's cat was shot with a BB gun by a neighbour after she asked them to mow their lawn.

So unless I knew the neighbours already, and knew they were OK, I wouldn't risk it. My dog is too important to me. She is home all day alone, and very vulnerable. It may sound paranoid, but I bet the lady whose dog was baited wished she'd been a little more paranoid when she got home & found her dog dead. :laugh:

I hope that explains my reasons better.

Plus, from the other side, if my dog was barking, I'd far rather have a polite note in my mailbox, no matter whether it was signed, than have someone call the ranger on me.

It's not about "guts" Kmaci, it's about protecting my own dogs. Unless you already know the neighbours are nice people, then I would not ever risk my dog's safety by assuming that they were nice. Sure most people are nice, but some aren't.

As I said above, I have heard first hand of cases where the ranger was called in retaliation to get back at a neighbour who had (politely) told another that their dogs barked. I have heard first hand of cases where dogs were baited because the neighbours had a feud that started over a silly thing like this. One of my friends was physically threatened because they asked their neighbour to turn the music down. My aunty's cat was shot with a BB gun by a neighbour after she asked them to mow their lawn.

So unless I knew the neighbours already, and knew they were OK, I wouldn't risk it. My dog is too important to me. She is home all day alone, and very vulnerable. It may sound paranoid, but I bet the lady whose dog was baited wished she'd been a little more paranoid when she got home & found her dog dead. :laugh:

I hope that explains my reasons better.

Plus, from the other side, if my dog was barking, I'd far rather have a polite note in my mailbox, no matter whether it was signed, than have someone call the ranger on me.

Understand now. Under those circumstances would agree.

I agree that a polite note is the way to go. People don't like being told what to do, but politeness and friendliness goes for miles and you are giving them info that they may not be aware of. So a name may not matter really. I would certainly do it this way from what you have described and understand your reservation to create a bad situation in a new, unknown neighbourhood. Good luck.

They may genuinly be unaware their dogs are causing others bother.

Perhaps just a note in the letter box politely asking if they could please try contain the dogs barking a little

I would say put a nice polite letter in their letter box too. I would say something like im not sure if you are aware that your dogs are barking a lot when you arent home, I dont want to cause any trouble with the council for you as I know if you arent home to hear the dogs you wouldnt know they are barking.

Just try to keep it as friendly as possible. and goodluck with the barkers.

We recently had this problem, dog was going off all night, on the third night I banged on their door at 2 in the morning, and got no reply except the dog getting more frantic :shrug: . It was a moonless weekend and some other neighbors were partying allbeit quietly, dog could hear voices but didnt know they wern't trying to get into his yard :rofl: Figured out owners were on holiday and poor dog was alone day and night except for someone feeding it :rofl: . Dropped a polite note at the door explaining the problem and suggested they leave a light on so dog could see, problem solved, neighbors able to sleep again :D

I did sign my note, name and address, and was careful to be nice.