Did You Buy Your Puppy From A Less Than Reputable "breeder"?

PoppyDog

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information. I also did quite a bit of research on the breed we were after in terms of the characteristics and features.

We got to meet his parents and see his brothers and sisters. They were all very happy, healthy dogs.

He is the most adorable pup and we love him to bits!! His is part of our family now :)

Alot of people get dogs that are free to good home or from the animal shelters and they don't know the complete history of the dog. As long as the dog is healthy and happy... all dogs need a loving home :o

Did you puppy's parents have the required health testing carried out for the breed?

YES

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information. I also did quite a bit of research on the breed we were after in terms of the characteristics and features.

We got to meet his parents and see his brothers and sisters. They were all very happy, healthy dogs.

He is the most adorable pup and we love him to bits!! His is part of our family now :)

Alot of people get dogs that are free to good home or from the animal shelters and they don't know the complete history of the dog. As long as the dog is healthy and happy... all dogs need a loving home :)

Did you puppy's parents have the required health testing carried out for the breed?

YES

So the parents were tested for PRA and your pup was BAER tested. That's not what you implied before. :o

Edited by poodlefan

I bought my boy online from a puppy farmer (Freedom Kennels).

He is a wonderful dog - great with people and dogs, very focused on me, great little agility prospect if I ever get my handling right etc. I love him to bits.

Many people love him too and ask me where I got him/will I get another one.

NO BLOODY WAY!

He is wonderful, but his mother lived a crappy life caged with no real exercise, no real human contact etc.

I won't be handing over my money to anyone who doesn't have the dog's best interest at heart ever again. That means health testing (not vet visits, very different things). That means a lot more than just mating two nice dogs together.

Most people here are passionate about dogs being bought into this world by ethical breeders. Personally, I couldn't give a rats what body they were registered with, but I have yet to hear about a truly ethical puppy farmer or BYB.

I'd get a dog from a reptuable breed specific rescue such as Golden Retriever rescue or Lab rescue.

Whats the difference? They didnt breed the animal, they didnt raise it so there is still no guarentee.

Sorry to sound down in the dumps about it but I have greater plans for my dogs then just pets so hence avoiding rescues. I know how I want my dogs to be raised from day one if you get my idea :o

Breed specific rescues generally have the dogs in foster care so they can get an idea about temperament and any potential health issues.

They tend to match dogs with new owner pretty well and I've heard really positive feedback about GRR and Lab rescue.

However, i do get what you're saying. If i was after a performace dog, I would only get it from a reputable breeder.

I'd get a dog from a reptuable breed specific rescue such as Golden Retriever rescue or Lab rescue.

Whats the difference? They didnt breed the animal, they didnt raise it so there is still no guarentee.

Sorry to sound down in the dumps about it but I have greater plans for my dogs then just pets so hence avoiding rescues. I know how I want my dogs to be raised from day one if you get my idea :o

I think that even if a pup/dog is destined to be a "pet" , that the new owners really should be looking carefully at where and how they were raised.

Sorry to sound down in the dumps about it but I have greater plans for my dogs then just pets so hence avoiding rescues. I know how I want my dogs to be raised from day one if you get my idea :)

I think that even if a pup/dog is destined to be a "pet" , that the new owners really should be looking carefully at where and how they were raised.

Show dog, performance dog, whatever.. most dogs are "pets" most of their lives. Good health, good temperament and a good start in life matter for all dogs.

Those of us who train handlers, be it as professionals or volunteers, know that a dog that lacks these things can bring a lot of unhappiness to a home. :o

We got our little man from a BYB. And I wouldn't change a thing! He came vet checked, vaccinated, wormed and microchipped. He also came with a free puppy pack with all his information.

So they tested the parents for PRA and HD too? If so, for BYB's they are paragons of virtue.

If not, you might like to rethink your statement that you wouldn't change a thing.

I will cross theat bridge if it happens... but I will still love my dog the same no matter what. Just because the dog may not be perfect or doesn't have some special certificate stating that nothing maybe not be wrong at the moment.

Yes it is nice to have reassurance but like I said I would not change anything, if these things did happen yes it would be a bit sad but he is still my dog and still part of the family.

Comments like this is what is putting me off coming to this forum...., what happened to the positive. Its meant to be a exciting and rewarding experience getting a new member of the family.

I respect that people have their own views, but some go to far.

So you're saying that you'll go back to another BYB that doesn't health test for inheritable conditions for your next dog? But me taking issue with that goes "too far"?

Health testing is more than about your dog being "perfect". Its about your dog not going blind from a totally preventable genetic condition while its in its prime or not having to live a life in pain with dodgy hips before being PTS far too young. Its an animal welfare issue IMO.

You were on this forum before you got your pup. You were advised to seek out breeders who tested for PRA etc. You even asked questions about PRA in the ACD thread before you decided to commit to this pup. You ignored the advice given. If you wanted a positive response to your statement that you wouldn't change a thing about the source of your pup, perhaps you're on the wrong forum.

Responsible breeders, registered or not, don't turn a blind eye to preventing health issues in the dogs they breed. That's "positive" breeding.

Your pup is 12 weeks old. You could have bought one that you could guarantee would never go blind from PRA. You didn't. I find it hard to put a positive twist on that. :o

I agree with poodlefan.

I think some people fundamentally misunderstand what this forum is all about. DOL is a pure breed dog community (you can see that in the masthead), with all that implies - reputable, registered breeders, breeding for the betterment of their breed. The objective of the site and forum is to promote that. A BYB doesn't really fit that profile, does it? And no one should really be singing the praises of BYBs here.

Your BYB sounds like they did a good job, but I have to ask, why aren't they a registered breeder? Why won't they go that step further? That is what would put me off even the best of BYBs. I know (from reading here) that the various bodies have their issues, but their members at the least are prepared to agree to a code of conduct that should give puppy buyers a level of comfort. Not all will follow it - nothing is foolproof - but it's an important part of the whole picture.

I own two lovely mutts - one a rescue, one a petshop puppy. My dogs have been healthy all their lives and have pretty good temperaments. I've been lucky. But I would not recommend that anyone go the route I have to bring a dog into their family and I won't go about it that way again because it's a lottery. Future dogs in my household will come either from a reputable rescue that fosters dogs in home situations where a good assessment of normal temperament can be made, or (after a lot of research) from a reputable, registered breeder who does all the appropriate health testing and raises their pups in a home environment.

Those of us who train handlers, be it as professionals or volunteers, know that a dog that lacks these things can bring a lot of unhappiness to a home. :o

This was the big dilemma for us when we were getting our second dog :) I really, really wanted to get a dog from rescue but because we wanted to be reasonably certain that the dog would get along with our existing dog, we went with getting a dog from a breeder who knew the temperaments of her dogs very well. The new puppy is everything the breeder said he would be so we are so happy with our decision but when I do see the rescue dogs every week, I still feel quite guilty. I am thinking about possibly fostering in the future so that we can "do our part".

This was the big dilemma for us when we were getting our second dog :) I really, really wanted to get a dog from rescue but because we wanted to be reasonably certain that the dog would get along with our existing dog, we went with getting a dog from a breeder who knew the temperaments of her dogs very well. The new puppy is everything the breeder said he would be so we are so happy with our decision but when I do see the rescue dogs every week, I still feel quite guilty. I am thinking about possibly fostering in the future so that we can "do our part".

If you decide to become involved in dog sports KTB, bear in mind that any dog that hasn't served a proper period of quarantine outside a pound will not only represent a risk to your dog (in terms of communicable diseases) but every dog your dogs come into contact with.

Taking a parvo carrier to a big dog event can be a nightmare - just ask Spring Fair. :)

Edited by poodlefan

I bought Chloe from a less than reputable breeder when I was younger and before I knew the difference.

She has been plagued with health issues, both hereditary and from less than stellar confirmation. Don't get me wrong, she has been an awesome dog, loyalest dog I've ever known, courageous and never let her illnesses get the better of her, and has been my best friend for the last 13 years - I wouldn't trade her for all the amount of money in the world... however, I learnt my lesson the very hard way about buying from BYB's who do not conduct proper health tests, selective breeding for the betterment of the breed etc.

Edited by Kelly_Louise

If you decide to become involved in dog sports KTB, bear in mind that any dog that hasn't served a proper period of quarantine outside a pound will not only represent a risk to your dog (in terms of communicable diseases) but every dog your dogs come into contact with.

Taking a parvo carrier to a big dog event can be a nightmare - just ask Spring Fair. :)

Well the thought is just that right now, a thought. OH has visions of dozens of Foster Failures and being surrounded by dogs for the rest of his life. A horrible thought for him given that he is a Cat Person. :mad

my first dog was a labrador from a byb, she's still alive and kicking 12 years down the track. never had any problems with her, the only thing the vet can see wrong with her, is that "im killing her with food", she isnt extremely over weight, just a little fat. but i got lucky, i would never buy from a byb ever again, im in the process of waiting for my puppy to be born, from a breeder :)

but again on the other hand... which i still get :( , my parents brought a sharpei from a breeder, a rather " high up there breeder" ( i wont mention names) from victoria, she lived to 9 months and had to be put down because of a heart mummer, the vets said she would of known when polly had her first vet check. my mother was sooo upset, she payed good money too. mum rang the breeder, she could care less..... :laugh:, mum asked for some of her money back.. the breeder than hung up and wont answer any emails or calls.

but each to their own, a dogs health is never 100% but id always go with a reputable breeder. i think that more regulations should be enforced on local shires. we went to a pet shop a few towns away the other day, when i asked where all the puppys and kittys are, she replied that its now against the local shire law to be BYB, you can not register your family pets unless there desexed or have papers. therefore no cross bred or puppy farm dogs :( that was in morwelll, vic

• 3 weeks later...

We bought our lab pup from a byb and what I guess now is a puppy farm of sorts :eek: I'm a sucker for a cute face and while i had that not quite right feeling I still went ahead. Would I again....no...our next pup will be from a reg/respected breeder even though this pup is still very young and I have no idea how he will turn out.

The "breeder" owned 4 females and one male (all purebred with papers) dogs. We were free to interact with all the dogs and their pups even though they were crated (they were let out). All were friendly and in good condition. The pups were all wormed, vet checked and vacinated but it just didnt seem right that she had 2 litters and a 3rd due. But we bought him anyway....only time will tell. Information is power and next time we wont be doing the same thing.

My last pup came from a BYB in the worst area of our town, that was back in 1992 when I was just 16, luckily ICE was a healthy rotty and lived to nearly 13.

Since then all my dogs have come from rescues as adults - unfortunately one came from a less than reputable rescue with a some major issues that they knew about but neglected to tell me of, which I have learnt from and will know in the future how to better choose a rescue organisation.

I really want to get a pup from an amazing breeder one day, but I am such a sucker for the 'teenagers' in need, I will just have to wait and see when the time comes.