Why Does My Dog Poo Every Time I Do The "poo Patrol"?

fiveplusone

My girls used to do it too!. You'ld find a fresh one once the scoop was away and the bag in the bin. It was like you had ruined their work :laugh:

What I do find hard to understand is why people fill up their bins with plastic bags and poos when all you need do is bury it in the garden. All that plastic binned by millions of dog owners contaminating the environment is pretty scary. Even if you have several dogs and/or big dogs, it breaks down so quickly. You don't need are large yard and if you have a small yard, just dig a hole drop in the poo every day and cover with a bit of soil or leaves and put a brick over the opening so dogs can't fall in or dig in it. You would use that one hole for a long time.

Think of the "long drop" toilets in National Parks.

I have 5 dogs (little admittedly) and I just use a trowel and a dust pan. People with larger dogs could use something larger.

Edited by Mother Moocher

AHAHAHA. I couldn't help but laugh :( I can just imagine Hugo going (in a crazy evil villain type voice) "Ha, she thinks she's get em all, bout HERES ANOTHER! MUAHAHAH" lol. At least you're already there to pick it up :laugh: What would be bad is if he waited until you were finished and back inside to do it... rofl. Now THAT would suck! :(

its got to the point where I am beginning to think that I should just hold the pooper scooper under his butt so that it doesn't even hit the ground!

I do a pick up before I mow the lawn and the GR i had waited until I was half way through then poo where I hadnt mowed. I swear she did it ever time

Lynda

my family's boxer did the same thing. I had a theory that she preferred going in long grass and was getting one in while she had the chance.

My cats insist on going just after I've cleaned the trays, too.

In answer to the original question though - I think dogs consider poo a supplimentary territory marker, so maybe the dog is just replenishing the signposts you're taking away.

Can someone tell me if there is a reason why my dog ALWAYS does a fresh poo when I am in the garden doing what we call in our house as "the poo patrol"....walking around the garden to pick up his lovely 'presents'!

the first few times I thought it was just a fluke but I now realise that at 9+ months of age he just automatically does one when I pick them up. In fact if we are going somewhere or going for a walk and I want him to poo first I just walk around the garden with the pooper scooper and bingo, he obliges! It isn't always the same time of day either, it can be anytime.

Is this common, is there a reason? Is my dog just a little 'special"?????? :laugh:

seems it not just your dog thats 'special' :(

Special to me though :(

So I wonder why all these dogs do this. What is it that triggers them to poo when we pick up whats already down? I am pretty sure its not because he likes it being there as he refuses to go into the garden bed where we bury his 'presents' so he obviously doesn't like being near the stuff!

My girls used to do it too!. You'ld find a fresh one once the scoop was away and the bag in the bin. It was like you had ruined their work :laugh:

What I do find hard to understand is why people fill up their bins with plastic bags and poos when all you need do is bury it in the garden. All that plastic binned by millions of dog owners contaminating the environment is pretty scary. Even if you have several dogs and/or big dogs, it breaks down so quickly. You don't need are large yard and if you have a small yard, just dig a hole drop in the poo every day and cover with a bit of soil or leaves and put a brick over the opening so dogs can't fall in or dig in it. You would use that one hole for a long time.

I have 5 dogs (little admittedly) and I just use a trowel and a dust pan. People with larger dogs could use something larger.

to be honest I never thought of doing it that way. do you have a smelly area in the back yard?

to be honest I never thought of doing it that way. do you have a smelly area in the back yard?

I should have put that in my post.... there is never any smell.

I should have put that in my post.... there is never any smell.

Any smell can be dealt with though with a sprinkle of dolomite lime.

I did that for a while but with two large dogs I found that there was still undegraded poo when it came time to dig in the original spot. If you use biodegradeable bags it doesn't contaminate the environment with plastic.

I thought it was because the stirred up/disturbed smell of poo made them want to poo... D usually poops after another dog goes as well

and without fail when I am minding cats and clean their litter trays they drop a fresh one in

I use bio degradable bags when I bag poo... but mostly we just avoid that corner of the yard - breaks down in days anyway.