Removal Of Titles Gained

TrinaJ

In fact they refuse to accept any member who does schutzhund, bitework, protection etc with any of their dogs.

With regard to the GSD clubs around Australia, this statement is absolutely incorrect.

There are GSD club members who do train their dogs in Sch. and are also members of Sch. clubs.

This is known to the GSD clubs and there is no reprisal because of it.

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

GSDCA Policy on Schutzhund Training.

The German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia fully supports the position as adopted (after consultation with its Member Bodies) by the ANKC regarding Schutzhund as follows :

All previous resolutions regarding Schutzhund up to and including May 1994 are rescinded.

ANKC will not take responsibility for the management nor control of Schutzhund in Australia. Also, the ANKC will not recognize any Schutzhund titles awarded in Australia or to any dog awarded a title resident in Australia.

No Member body of the ANKC shall recognize or approve Schutzhund training activity or conduct Schutzhund Trial competition and any member taking part risks disqualification.

ANKC Member Bodies consider Schutzhund training is not in the best interests of their activities.

from GSDCV

and from GSDCA

Can the GSD Club assist me with Schutzhund or Protection training for my puppy/dog ?

No ! - The GSDCA affiliated Clubs do not support the training of Schutzhund, or any form of Protection training and do not believe this form of training is necessary. It is a requirement of Victorian law that any dog that is trained to attack a person or animal must be reported to the authorities and will probably be declared a dangerous dog. Use the following link to the GSDCA Policy on Schutzhund Training :

GSDCA affiliate clubs are (apparently)

GSDCV

GSD League NSW

GSD Assoc WA

GSDCSA

GSDCQ

GSDCT

GSDCNT

ACTGSD Association

Newcastle and Hunter Region GSDC

Broken Hill GSDC

Edited by Nekhbet

The German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia fully supports the position as adopted (after consultation with its Member Bodies) by the ANKC regarding Schutzhund as follows :

All previous resolutions regarding Schutzhund up to and including May 1994 are rescinded.

ANKC will not take responsibility for the management nor control of Schutzhund in Australia. Also, the ANKC will not recognize any Schutzhund titles awarded in Australia or to any dog awarded a title resident in Australia.

No Member body of the ANKC shall recognize or approve Schutzhund training activity or conduct Schutzhund Trial competition and any member taking part risks disqualification.

ANKC Member Bodies consider Schutzhund training is not in the best interests of their activities.

from GSDCV

Can you please link that, Nekhbet? I'd like to quote it in my email to the FCI. And although I could probably find it eventually if I googled, I'm lazy. :provoke:

Echo is right Nekhbet.

I am one of those people who has been a member of Dogs Victoria and the GSDCV for 35 years and for many of those years I was a member of a Schutzhund club and participated in this great sport with my dogs. ( All the dogs in my avatar) I would still be a member only for distance as the nearest club is about 120kms from me....but when I was a member....nearly everyone in the GSDC knew and nothing happened to me or others who were or are still members of dogsport. In actual fact , when it came to any GSDC demos I went to......my dogs were the only ones who never had to be tested for reliability when out in public..every one knew how reliable they were.........and that's something I am very proud of to this day. ( all my wonderful dogs in the avatar are now at rainbow bridge :provoke: )

The thing is our controlling dog bodies really can't do anything because what we do outside of ANKC sanctioned events or grounds is none of their business...it has nothing to do with them.

With the BAN lifted, the number of GSDs increased dramatically. Another two German breeds became VERY popular, the Dobermann and the Rottweiler. With these three powerful breeds and their following of work oriented enthusiastic owners, came the serious upsurge of Schutzhund training in WA. Suddenly obedience was no longer good enough. The German imports all had their training titles of course, and in the Eastern States, we had several Schutzhund Clubs before the two in WA started up.

We had worked very hard to promote obedience. Worked extremely hard to promote our beautiful breed, the German Shepherd Dog. We had demos, hospital visits, Nursery and Kindergarten days where our dogs proved that this breed is gentle and trustworthy, that their teeth were merely for catching balls and sticks and delicately nibbling fleas - bite? Not our GSDs. We were successful in promoting the peaceful image and tractable disposition of the easily trained German Shepherd Dog.

The ban was lifted. Our dogs no longer had to be desexed. They no longer HAD to be on lead at all times. The threat of muzzling laws were ever upon us, but on the whole we were happy in being able to own, breed, train and show our wonderful German Shepherd Dogs.

Now we were actually told by newcomers, men and women who had not had to fight our battles, who did not live through the frustration of having their SHOW DOGS DESEXED when they came to WA, that "Canine Obedience kills the dog's sparkle!" These folks were "newies" who with perhaps 2 or 3 years of dog ownership behind them, had enjoyed a couple of American books on Schutzhund training and fallen in love with the sport. Who wouldn't? It's a great sport! However, at a time when we had only just been permitted to import and breed the GSD our aim was "Breed Improvement", we dreamed of X Ray Schemes to combat HD, of Breed Surveying to help us attain the desired type and temperament. Now we were told by new dog owners who did not have years of successful obedience training under their belts, that a real dog MUST have Schutzhund training. That Obedience ruins the dogs, any dog can track, etc, protection work is REAL training."

They enjoyed the adrenaline rush of protection work. So did their dogs. They lacked the skill to enhance their dogs' natural obedience. They dampened their dogs' enthusiasm for obedience work because they lacked the handling skills to make obedience work enjoyable for their dogs.

There are thousands of men and women taking part in Obedience, Agility and tracking with their dogs. There is a handful who are actively engaged in man work. They do not want to give up their adrenaline rush. They want their thrills.

If only they knew that working their dog in the obedience ring, in Agility or Tracking can make you go weak at the knees, make the blood roar in your ears and be as scary as bungey jumping!

There are some people who are involved in Security Work. They need to have their dogs protection trained. Out of respect for the GSDA of WA and the many members who fought for the lifting of the ban, they refrain from Schutzhund training as a sport. For them, it is enough to know that the dogs are operational, and we thank them. For competition purposes, and if you have a good dog, you LOVE to compete, these guys show off their dogs in - have you guessed it? Obedience, Agility, Tracking!!!

These dedicated members, respecting the views of their Government which is still not pro-dog, their Kennel Control, which does not support Schutzhund, and their Clubs, which through necessity have to abstain from any participation in Schutzhund training, these skilled dog handlers and lovers of the breed, make the sacrifice of not indulging their passion for protection work.

All over Australia, the German Shepherd Dog owners, trainers, breeders, work on breed improvement. We submit our dogs to stringent tests, we are willing to make many sacrifices for the good of the breed. We are the guardians of the breed. We can not participate in a sport that would give the anti dog brigade the ammunition to bring back draconian laws of muzzling, permanent leash control and heaven forbid, sterilization.

For years, we have requested that our members do not participate in Schutzhund work. We even have the Presidents of WA's two Schutzhund Clubs, one with just over ten and one with just under twenty members, very very keen dog lovers who ARE skilled in training and experienced in working with German Shepherds, Dobermanns and Rottweilers, as members of our Association. We have had training demonstrations of protection work, obedience and tracking by these valued members and keen Schutzhund exponents on our very own Club grounds, and liked what we saw.

WE do not need to be converted. We would also love to become involved in this great sport, but as it would be politically very, very unwise, we can not and we will not. Therefore I have asked these gentlemen when they joined us, to please remember that we do not embrace Schutzhund training, and they have assured me that they will not indulge in this sport while with the the GSDA. This they promised to honour.

Did you know that in Victoria, laws are being formulated which make the owning of imported dogs rather difficult if they have a Schutzhund title? THEY MAY BE DECLARED DANGEROUS DOGS! This means they must live in an escape proof kennel (Cage). They must be muzzled when off their property. They must always be on lead. Did you know that a declared Dangerous Dog can not be kept in the house, as a family pet? Sitting in a car, a Dangerous Dog should be muzzled as cars can be opened by strangers. In NSW. the Dangerous Dogs have to wear a RED COLLAR and lead to show that they are dangerous.

Our well trained Schutzhund dogs are dangerous dogs? NO WAY! However, in order to protect our breed, we must be circumspect. Egos and Ethics affect our training, PLEASE WORK WITH US! The adrenaline rush is very addictive, and it's harder to give up than smoking or a cold beer, but please do not destroy what the GSDCA and its Member Clubs have built up over the years" just for a change", a SchH thrill!

from the WA website ... at least they're not as rabid about it as some others are.

ETA I dont mean in the past Tapferhund, I meant now. The GSDCA says members cannot do schutzhund so obviously things are going on outside the rules there too. It's just one big cock up really, everything is everywhere at the moment :provoke:

Edited by Nekhbet

[ANKC will not take responsibility for the management nor control of Schutzhund in Australia. Also, the ANKC will not recognize any Schutzhund titles awarded in Australia or to any dog awarded a title resident in Australia.

Well , as a past President of a controlling body once said to me, "The ANKC has enough on its plate with Showing, obedience, Agilty, gun dog trials etc, so if you want to do Schutzhund....go and do it but don't expect the ANKC to take it on or accept it."

The thing is Nekhbet and even though I don't like it, it has always been the case that the ANKC will not recognise Australian awarded titles. The issue we have with the ANKC today is that want to remove all titles from a dogs lineage in pedigrees...and that's just not on!!! They have NO RIGHT to do that !

Well NO MEMBER BODY does !!! But as to individual 'members' ...they have EVERY right to do what they want outside of ANKC member body's , sanctioned events and grounds. The last time I looked this country is still a free and democratic one isn't it? The ANKC cannot dictate what people do with their lives outside of ANKC events....just as the GDClubs can't either. Like I said there are many many members who participate, breed their Schutzhund dogs and one or more who are ANKC judges as well as Schutzhund Judges......and in 35 years i have not heard of one member being at risk of disqualification.

ANKC Member Bodies consider Schutzhund training is not in the best interests of their activities.]

As stupid as that is.......and as they are over the whole situation .....that is their prerogative .

Personally I would have liked all breed clubs of Schutzhund breeds...to have shown a bit more back bone over the situation......but that's life I guess.

Edited by Tapferhund

Personally I would have liked all breed clubs of Schutzhund breeds...to have shown a bit more back bone over the situation......but that's life I guess.

yes it is a dream. I know what you're getting and and I agree, it is a free country. It just 'looks' a little better when the official organisation comes out with it instead of individuals trying to band together to save it. As for disqualification that would just be from the club [if they so saw it to be a reason to do so] as they dont want their members supposedly 'encouraged' by inaction :provoke: silly isnt it.

Edited by Nekhbet

The ANKC has enough on its plate with Showing, obedience, Agilty, gun dog trials etc, so if you want to do Schutzhund....go and do it but don't expect the ANKC to take it on or accept it

But ANKC had time to accept Doggy Dancing, set up titles, trials etc.

Just not schutzhund, because that is a dirty word :provoke:

[ANKC will not take responsibility for the management nor control of Schutzhund in Australia. Also, the ANKC will not recognize any Schutzhund titles awarded in Australia or to any dog awarded a title resident in Australia.

Well , as a past President of a controlling body once said to me, "The ANKC has enough on its plate with Showing, obedience, Agilty, gun dog trials etc, so if you want to do Schutzhund....go and do it but don't expect the ANKC to take it on or accept it."

The thing is Nekhbet and even though I don't like it, it has always been the case that the ANKC will not recognise Australian awarded titles. The issue we have with the ANKC today is that want to remove all titles from a dogs lineage in pedigrees...and that's just not on!!! They have NO RIGHT to do that !

Well NO MEMBER BODY does !!! But as to individual 'members' ...they have EVERY right to do what they want outside of ANKC member body's , sanctioned events and grounds. The last time I looked this country is still a free and democratic one isn't it? The ANKC cannot dictate what people do with their lives outside of ANKC events....just as the GDClubs can't either. Like I said there are many many members who participate, breed their Schutzhund dogs and one or more who are ANKC judges as well as Schutzhund Judges......and in 35 years i have not heard of one member being at risk of disqualification.

ANKC Member Bodies consider Schutzhund training is not in the best interests of their activities.]

As stupid as that is.......and as they are over the whole situation .....that is their prerogative .

Well said Tapferhund.

Nekhbet, yes it is a dream, but not one we should give up on.

Before you know it titles like CPX will be recognised. Couch Potatoe Excellent that is, my Rex would have been a multi winner of this title.

:provoke:

:bolt::o :p :party:

Very funny, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

Nekhbet, yes it is a dream, but not one we should give up on.

trust me I have no intention on giving up or backing down on this one especially :bolt:

Very funny, but not beyond the realms of possibility.

thats the scary part :provoke:

Not only that you can, but you have to. One of the conditions under which ALL members (associate or federated) are accepted is the observance of ALL FCI rules and regulations in events held under the aegis of the FCI.

Interesting. So as far as we know the ANKC "should" abide by FCI regulations regarding IPO/schutzhund titles & not altering pedigrees.

So I guess the question is, do the FCI have the balls to stop the ANKC doing this, or will they just turn a blind eye & let the ANKC get away with it?

The ANKC should go beyond not altering pedigree's and fully recognise the sport.

They do not recognise the sport as they think it is a form of "attack training".........

Apart from this being completely ignorant, they threaten breed clubs with disaffiliation if they try to recognise it or make any attempt to approve FCI working judges to adjudicate working trials in Australia (please read below a letter from the ANKC to the GSDCA).

It should be noted that there is no legislation in Australia that specifies that SchH is illegal or makes a dog dangerous; However, SchH is exempt from the dangerous dog laws in South Australia.

21 February 2007

Dear Mrs Moody

It has come to the attention of the Member Bodies of the Australian National Kennel Council (ANKC) that at the Annual General Meeting of the German Shepherd Dog Council of Australia Inc. held in Sydney on the 3rd and 4th of February 2007 a motion was passed by your Member Clubs to allow SV judges to adjudicate at Working Dog Trials here in Australia.

As these events are not sanctioned by the ANKC we hereby inform you that should you go ahead with this action, it is the intention of this organisation to immediately disaffiliate/suspend the German Shepherd Council of Australia, and it's Member Clubs.

It is also our intention to take action through the FCI against any licensed Judge that adjudicates at any event in Australia that is not sanctioned by the Australian National Kennel Control.

Yours sincerely

Hugh Gent

President ANKC

from GSDCV

and from GSDCA

Can the GSD Club assist me with Schutzhund or Protection training for my puppy/dog ?

No ! - The GSDCA affiliated Clubs do not support the training of Schutzhund, or any form of Protection training and do not believe this form of training is necessary. It is a requirement of Victorian law that any dog that is trained to attack a person or animal must be reported to the authorities and will probably be declared a dangerous dog. Use the following link to the GSDCA Policy on Schutzhund Training :

GSDCA affiliate clubs are (apparently)

GSDCV

GSD League NSW

GSD Assoc WA

GSDCSA

GSDCQ

GSDCT

GSDCNT

ACTGSD Association

Newcastle and Hunter Region GSDC

Broken Hill GSDC

You should write back to them and tell them to stop being so ignorant. We all know that SchH is not teaching a dog to "attack" anything and certainly not a person. Shows you how much they really know about dogs doesn't it...lol.................

I guess if the dog is not running around a show ring they are out of their depth...... :crossfingers:

The lady who instructs me in herding found this today whilst searching for something else and thought she would share it with me….

This Act (see link below) states a dangerous dog is NOT exempt under clause 4 UNLESS

a) it is a Schutzhund Trained GSD (funny how its only a GSD!!),

b) a Dogs Victoria Member

c) if it has been imported into the country for breeding purposes!

This is dated 31st March 2009

http://www.dpi.vic.gov.au/DPI/nrenfa.nsf/L...ined%20Dogs.pdf