Help! Pulling Puppy And I Have Knee Problems

hi, i have a 5, nearly 6 month old white german shepherd who pulls really bad when i take her for a walk. i know routine is good and just re-iterate what i want from her, but i have a bad left knee, if she pushes it in the wrong way it may dislocate, sounds illy, had an operation in the last year for it, that is why i still have problems.

i have spoken to my instructor at obedience that i attend every weekend but to be honest i'm sick of listening to him as he is very arrogant and pretty set in his ways. martingale has been suggested to me by some but he does not agree. check chain an idea but he says not at this age etc etc. to him shes 'just a puppy' but i need to get some sort of control on the pulling before she is full grown!

she is a really well behaved dog, but does love to play and gets super excited when i take her for a walk. im not expecting a miracle, but i am after some advice on what i could do! i'm not necessarily looking for a martingale or check chain as an answer, im open to anything - though im not against either of those chains/collars either

any comments or advice would be much appreciated!

I feel your pain as I had ACL surgery in May and at the time had a 5 month old puppy! Thankfully my puppy's pulling is pretty much under control now at 8 months, and I can walk both her and my other dog together without being worried about falling over. I still avoid hills and busy areas when I have both of them, though :confused:

If I were you and you are feeling you cannot get good, consistent advice, I would get a behaviourist in to assess the situation and help you put a training program in place. Someone on here will have a recommendation for a good behaviourist in your area if you ask.

Normally my girl is very good on a loose lead, but when I know we are going to be in exciting situations I put a front fastening body harness on her. It is called a Gentle Leader, Easy Walker & it is great & cost only about $20 online from the Pet Barn. Being front fastening, when the dog starts to pull on it, the lead turns the dog back into towards you. Simple idea but very effective. Of course it doesn't take the place of training, but you can't be training all the time, otherwise you would never get to go anywhere. :eek:

If you get a front attaching harness, it can be an idea to get a double-ended leash as well. The free end can be attached to the normal collar, then you have the option of either front-attaching harness (in an emergency) or normal flat collar at all times. Practise your loose leash walking holding the leash closer to the collar end.

yes i agree Aidan2, I connect my lead to the harness and to a flat collar at the same time i dont have a double lead but it still works really well (I use a sense-ible harness). The other good thing about front connection harnesses is that the dog accepts them straight away unlike some of the head collars where you need to get the dog used to them for a while.

Do any of your local training clubs do loose lead walking workshops ? I went on one a last year and it really helped.

:dancingelephant:

thanks all for your advice! i think i might get in touch with the trainer our rescue group goes through - hopefully can get some help from her, my only problem is im a poor uni student! haha!

i dont think she is too young for a check chain, however it is not allowed at the obedience club i attend until after 6 months of age, and at the moment i don't have anyone to teach me how to use it properly. well i know how to use it, but to combine with training.

i might also look into a loose lead walking workshop like muckypup suggested.

thanks again everyone

L

I have problems with my knees too - they dislocate really easily (Annie bumped me slightly at the park a few weeks ago whilst I was throwing the ball and down I went... crutches for a few days etc :( )

I would also recommend investing in a really good knee brace! I have one that's made from wetsuit-like material, with velcro straps and a removeable metal joint for each side. Keeps my knee really stable when it's feeling a bit delicate. Unfortunately I think I need two of them, as I've now dislocated each knee three times this year :thumbsup: . Each time the recovery is shorter though.

Good luck with sorting out the pulling.

hi there

my dogs kelpies know how to heel on a loose lead close to my leg when doing obedience no trouble but i dont want them to be on a command the whole time they are walking it would stuff them up.

But when it comes time for walking, my younger dog pulls and he is just to hard to controll i get frustrated and annoyed when he is infront and pulling me constantly!!

i walk my two dogs with the gentle leader on mentally changes how he walks makes your walk peaceful i have used a easywalker a front clip chest harness works great have used it on other dogs from cocker spaniels to golden retievers but, my boy has a deep chest and it slips foward above his shoulders so it doesnt sit correctly on my dog but reguardless it still works so he doesnt pull.

if i am not using either of these (but i would recomend the gentle leader or a halti) i use there thin leads as a soft choker (not literally) haha and i situate it right up behind the dogs ears it totally changes how my dogs walk and how i control them and it works really well and doesnt cost a cent.

i use my check chains when doing obedience because they already know the command of heel and a quick correction is all they need i could continue to keep checking my boy on a walk and he still wouldn't respond to it. depends on the dog but i wouldnt want to be reaping his neck off when there is a easier solution like a head halti at a small price.

hope this helps