Why Do Other Dogs Want To Hump

kamuzz

We have an English Setter. He will be two in September this year.

Mazda (yes his breeder named him Mazda 626) came to live us in March/April. At that stage he was entire. Initially he was on trial with us to see if he would like living with my GSD. During this period I took him to our local off lead park. The breeder knew I wanted a dog that I could take here and was happy for us to try him out in various settings.

Mazda was fine. Think boy from the bush - he wasn't used to traffic or cars for example, but he seemed to be fine around other dogs.

At the beginning of May we had him desexed, and at his first visit to the dog park a couple of other dogs wanted to hump him. However, three of them keep wanting to take it turns to hump each other and I didn't think too much of it. (Mazda, a desexed female and an entire male just kept going back to making their own little fun corner.)

But since then this has escalated to the point where I don't take him to the park anymore. At one visit every time he stood still, another dog was trying to hump him. I had owners coming up saying they had never seen this behaviour from their dog before. At our last visit, it quickly became obvious the same thing was going to happen and we left quick smart.

Even dogs we meet on our regular walks - that are fine with other dogs - want to hump him. And it seems to be getting worse.

Any ideas on why?

It could simply be acts of dominance.. even though he may act calm & somewhat submissive around other dogs during play (I'm presuming this as there is no mention of him retaliating) he may still display 'entire attitude' in some way when he greets them making them want to test him..